SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs ST. CLOUD Saturday game

Emerald joker

Some suggested Chyzyk sat last night because he took a dumb penalty Friday. So did Drake last night when we were on the PP. So did OD the night before. Now you have a captain going head hunting after he gets lit up. I guess there are different rules and leashes for different players now?? Because you won't see Drake or Parks sit next game.

Some suggested Chyzyk sat last night because he took a dumb penalty Friday. So did Drake last night when we were on the PP. So did OD the night before. Now you have a captain going head hunting after he gets lit up. I guess there are different rules and leashes for different players now?? Because you won't see Drake or Parks sit next game.

All these conclusions based on "someone suggested?"

All these conclusions based on "someone suggested?"

No conclusions drawn...all I know is Chyzyk wasn't one of the 2 worst forwards Friday...and *gasp* neither was Mitch. There was some reason those 2 didnt dress in front of Sanderson. My point is most of these guys take dumb penalties but is the "punishment" equal if that's the case? (just thinking out loud) But swinging a stick at the head... Will see how that shakes out.

• Upvote 1

Disappointed in this team this weekend, right now a lot of the more veteran guys need to step up. IMO the freshmen are the ones playing the hardest right now and are the ones sticking to assignments for the most part. Guys like Grimaldi, MacMillan, Parks, OD, and Mattson really need to step their game up. Not only are some of them not finishing or creating offense but some are turning the puck over on stupid plays way too much. Last night I saw Grimaldi do it at least twice and Mattson did it and it was in the back of the net real quick after it happened. I thought Zane put together two solid games although I'm sure he wishes he would have gathered up the rebound that turned into the first goal but that was also another case where a lot of Sioux players were just standing around way too much which seemed to happen a lot more than it should this weekend. I'm not giving up on this team but the older guys definitely need to step up and the team needs to play more consistent throughout the game.

I thought this was an interesting quote considering the discussion on here after Friday's game

While I do agree with my friends post here, there are 4 freshman defensemen vying for three spots in the lineup. Basically, I don't see Panz playing all that much. That's a lot of youth in a crucial position.

Edited by Goon

Seeing Parks get hammered at the blue line with about 6 minutes left in the game pretty much summed up the entire weekend.

This....

Frustrating to see such a lack of physicality. ...different....but so is college hockey so come time for tourneys if they can figure oit how to win with this formula all will be well

And what exactly are you basing this opinion on?

from what I saw this weekend. they are an average team that needed its opponent to stand around all weekend doing nothing in order for it to win. anyone could have walked into the ralph this weekend and won two games, including huntsville, army, sacred heart, holy cross,american international....

get swept at home and go the road to omaha with another possible sweep staring at us. this ball could get rolling fast. specialty teams will play a huge part next weekend as you have two teams that like to take stupid penalties.

We are near the bottom of the league in penalty minutes.

Omaha, on the other hand...

That just might work. Keep us on the power play. ???

Would you feel better if I told you Omaha is last in Penalty Kill?

And looking at power play, statistically every team except UNO and Denver have worse power plays than ours. In league play, only 3 teams have PP percentage in the DOUBLE DIGITS.

1) It's UND's system that causes lack of scoring. Off the glass and out for the breakout and then dump it in after gaining the redline. The coaching staff's theory is this, it's trying to reduce mistakes/turnovers etc that could lead to scoring chances for the opposition. Hak is known for this style, especially with freshman in the lineup as they need to "learn" and "adjust" to the college level. This style of play is always noticeable at the beginning of the year. Trying to keep the "risks" low while competing in the game with a probability of winning the game or keeping it close most nights.

2) With that said, the style of play is not a possession game. This is what frustrates me and Hak's style. A possession game is huge, see the Chicago Blackhawks in the NHL. That's why the Hawks are so successful and tough to play against. To have a team that has the makeup to play a possession game you need speed and skilled players, especially on the bluneliine, a quick transition game. You might take some risks offensively here and there with a mistake that ends up in the back of your net, but last time I checked you have to score goals to win in hockey. It's a lot more fun to watch too. St. Cloud State moved the puck and transitioned better all weekend. You tell me what team was more exciting to watch this weekend. It sure wasn't UND...boring hockey.

3) UND hasn't had a good power play in years. This lies on the coaching staff. You need to find a player on the power play that can gain the zone. Dumping it in and chasing the puck is so ineffiecient. The gophers rarely dump the puck in on a power play. The best NHL teams rarely dump it in. Guys like Kane and Datsyuk are such an asset to their team because their skill and speed allows them to gain the zone on most attempts. Don't buy into this? The NHL is tracking statistical data on this. The ability to gain the zone with speed on the power play is huge! Not only is this crucial on the power play, but even 5-on-5 play. It generates more offensive.

4) UND's inability of scoring is also due to their past recruiting classes and skill sets. There's plenty of parity in college hockey and there's a lot of good college players out there. Not every recruit wants to go to UND and is going to be sold on the program, tradition, and it's facilities. We don't need to land every NHL draft prospect recruit too. Over the last 2-3 years, UND has struggled to find and recruit those good college players. Give them credit on finding Drake, that's a perfect example and great find. UND struggles on scoring because of their players ability and skill set. Mitch, Conner, Step, Derick, both coltyn's, and Chyzk all bring different elements to the team and play a role for the team. You need role players, however that's too much commonality in the lineup with these players and as a result they bring the same skill set to the lineup. They are not able to generate offense. The inability to score or become true scorers, especially at the college level hurts UND. I'm not throwing these players under the bus or claiming by all means they are terrible college players, I'm stating UND has too many players with the same skill set and what they bring to the table. This dispalys their lack of efficiency in generating offense. UND's forward recruits the past few years haven't been great, it's the harsh reality. That's why they can't score and generate more offense.

• Upvote 3