SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

Saunders at UAH this past year.

## Goaltending (Overall)			|  GP  Minutes  GA Saves Shots  Save%   GAA  Record   Win%  GS  SO  %Time

33 Clarke Saunders			   SO |  27  1534:16  95   918  1013   .906  3.72  2-23- 1  .096  26   0  82.2%

The save percentage looks great; some will be down on the GAA. However, do the math on the GPA: He saw just under 40 shots per game this year.

If his save percentage held and he only saw the roughly 27 shots per game UND goalies saw his GAA goes to 2.54.

What would 0.906 and 2.54 get you in the WCHA this year?

The 0.906 would be 10th, just ahead of UMD's Kenny Reiter.

The 2.54 would be 5th, again, just ahead of UMD's Kenny Reiter.

Playing with better quality defense would probably mean fewer high quality shots against which should result in higher save percentage and lower goals against. Still probably a backup to Dell, may compete with Gothberg for a while.

Saunders at UAH this past year.

## Goaltending (Overall)			|  GP  Minutes  GA Saves Shots  Save%   GAA  Record   Win%  GS  SO  %Time

33 Clarke Saunders			   SO |  27  1534:16  95   918  1013   .906  3.72  2-23- 1  .096  26   0  82.2%

The save percentage looks great; some will be down on the GAA. However, do the math on the GPA: He saw just under 40 shots per game this year.

If his save percentage held and he only saw the roughly 27 shots per game UND goalies saw his GAA goes to 2.54.

What would 0.906 and 2.54 get you in the WCHA this year?

The 0.906 would be 10th, just ahead of UMD's Kenny Reiter.

The 2.54 would be 5th, again, just ahead of UMD's Kenny Reiter.

and then factor in an actual team in front of him and you have better stats than he had at that cesspool they called UAH.

Yes, Saunders will have better defense in front of him as a benefit; however, and conversely, he'll be facing better offenses and shooters which could work against him.

That's why my assumption was that the save percentage holds (no better, no worse).

Yes, Saunders will have better defense in front of him as a benefit; however, and conversely, he'll be facing better offenses and shooters which could work against him.

That's why my assumption was that the save percentage holds (no better, no worse).

That makes sense. I think however you want to slice it he will be a solid #2 if Dell comes back.

I'm not so sure it will be all that different. Last season, UAH played 13 games against tournament teams (11 of which were on the road, more than any other team in the country), including 5 series against WCHA squads.

Here was UAH's schedule last season...(all 2 games series unless otherwise noted)

vs. LSSU

@ WMU

vs. Bowling Green

vs. Air Force

vs. Ohio State

@ Providence

@ Merrimack

@ UMASS Lowell (1 game)

@ New Hampshire (1 game)

vs. Nebraska Omaha

@ Minnesota State

@ Bemidji State

vs. Mercyhurst

@ Denver (featuring #4 scoring man Drew Shore, and #15 Jason Zucker)

@ Duluth (featuring #2 scoring man Jack Connolly, #4 Oleksuk, and #12 J.T. Brown)

@ Maine (featuring top point man Spencer Abbott, and two other guys who happen to be in the top 12 in the country in scoring)

@ Miami (featuring 30 goal scorer, and #9 scoring man Reilly Smith)

That last 8 game stretch was brutal...Facing 9 players in the top 15 in the country in scoring...talk about getting ready for the WCHA...I think Saunders should be just fine. :)

If Dell decides that he's coming back, and with Saunders coming in wouldn't you think it would be logical for the coaching staff to have Gothberg play another year in Fargo?

Couple of factors come into play here to completely squash my theory:

~Unless he's too old (believe he still has a year of junior eligibility after this one).

~Unless they don't believe he will be a four year netminder for the school. Aka...flight risk before senior year, get the years you can out of him.

~He would de-commit and sign at another school if he doesn't end up at UND next year.

I'd just hate to see the kid come in, ride the bench, and play in six games. If Dell or Saunders got hurt you bring him in at Semester time or ASAP. He'd easily play in 45 plus games in the USHL for the Fargo Force. Just thinking out loud here....

If Dell decides that he's coming back, and with Saunders coming in wouldn't you think it would be logical for the coaching staff to have Gothberg play another year in Fargo?

~Unless he's too old (believe he still has a year of junior eligibility after this one).

~Unless they don't believe he will be a four year netminder for the school. Aka...flight risk before senior year, get the years you can out of him.

~He would de-commit and sign at another school if he doesn't end up at UND next year.

I'd just hate to see the kid come in, ride the bench, and play in six games. If Dell or Saunders got hurt you bring him in at Semester time or ASAP. He'd easily play in 45 plus games in the USHL for the Fargo Force. Just thinking out loud here....

No. I see no problems with having a little depth... at every position.

Not sure if he is too old or not, I think I remember him being one of the older kids in his class however. I don't think he will go back to Fargo, I've seen the kid play since he was a Sophmore in high school and even played against hime a few times and know he will definitely compete for playing time next year and I would guess he will start as Dells backup but may end up splitting series with him and taking the job away if Dell isn't consistent enough. Zane is a kid that is gonna come in and do whatever it takes he is a very technical sound and calm goalie, but also relentless with the work ethic. There aren't many goalies that leave too early when they drafted as teams just let them develop, but who knows it could be a possibility I think he was a 6th? round pick of Boston. If he did have to go back I doubt he would decomit it has been a dream for him to play at UND, he has always wanted to be part of the Fighting Sioux program.

No. I see no problems with having a little depth... at every position.

After his Gothberg's year in the USHL, he has very little to prove at that level. I think it is best case scenario for him to come in next year, learn under an All-American senior goaltender, play in a handful of games and be ready to take over as the starter as a sophomore. I like that idea much more than having him try to start right away as a freshman.

I've never seen the kid play, but have heard tremendous things about his ability to play the puck and his lateral movement. Obviously if he comes back Dell will be the starter for the Sioux, but it will be fun to see what Zane can do.

Saunders is the wild card. Big body, takes up a lot of the net, some good numbers on a poor team.

Like someone mentioned. Nothing wrong with too much depth at arguably the most important position for a hockey team.

PS: Congrats to Brad Eidsness!

Question: Is Tate Maris coming back?

When I heard about Gothberg and Saunders, I figured two goalies leaving, but I wonder if it's not Eidsness (the senior) and Maris, who had a year of college at UND before he ever joined the team.

And honestly, four goalies on a team is not unheard of either.

Via Schlossman's blog:

2012-2013 Tentative Schedule

Oct. 6 — EXHIBITION

Oct. 12 — EXHIBITION

Oct. 19 — at Fairbanks tourney

Oct. 20 — at Fairbanks tourney (will play UAA and UAF here)

Oct. 26 — ALASKA ANCHORAGE

Oct. 27 — ALASKA ANCHORAGE

Nov. 2 — BOSTON UNIVERSITY

Nov. 3 — BOSTON UNIVERSITY

Nov. 9 — at St. Cloud State

Nov. 10 — at St. Cloud State

Nov. 16 — MINNESOTA-DULUTH

Nov. 17 — MINNESOTA-DULUTH

Nov. 23 — at Notre Dame

Nov. 24 — at Notre Dame

Nov. 30 — at Colorado College

Dec. 1 — at Colorado College

Dec. 7 — DENVER

Dec. 8 — DENVER

Dec. 14 — at Michigan Tech

Dec. 15 — at Michigan Tech

Jan. 4 — HOLY CROSS

Jan. 5 — HOLY CROSS

Jan. 11 — COLORADO COLLEGE

Jan. 12 — COLORADO COLLEGE

Jan. 18 — at Minnesota

Jan. 19 — at Minnesota

Jan. 25 — ST. CLOUD STATE

Jan. 26 — ST. CLOUD STATE

Feb. 1 — WISCONSIN

Feb. 2 — WISCONSIN

Feb. 8 — at Nebraska Omaha

Feb. 9 — at Nebraska Omaha (outdoor game)

Feb. 22 — at Denver

Feb. 23 — at Denver

Mar. 1 — BEMIDJI STATE

Mar. 2 — BEMIDJI STATE

Mar. 8 — at Mankato

Mar. 9 — at Mankato

Mar. 15-17 — WCHA first round

Mar. 22-24 — WCHA Final Five

Mar. 29-31 — NCAA regionals (Grand Rapids, Mich., Toledo, Ohio, Providence, R.I., Manchester, N.H.)

Apr. 11-13 — NCAA Frozen Four (Pittsburgh)

Mar. 29-31 — NCAA regionals (Grand Rapids, Mich., Toledo, Ohio, Providence, R.I., Manchester, N.H.)

Apr. 11-13 — NCAA Frozen Four (Pittsburgh)

I think Pittsburgh will be a good host site for a Frozen Four, but a regional in Toledo? Miami or Ohio State had better be the host and make the NCAAs or that regional will have lower attendance than a Warroad/Roseau HS game.

I think Pittsburgh will be a good host site for a Frozen Four, but a regional in Toledo? Miami or Ohio State had better be the host and make the NCAAs or that regional will have lower attendance than a Warroad/Roseau HS game.

I guess we won't have the same debate on whether UMN has a home game at the Xcel Energy Center.

Holy Cross, Boston University, and Notre Dame are our only non conference opponents? Is it normal to just have 3 and last year just felt like more with the Ice Breaker tourney being moved to the Ralph? Pretty strong schedule though. Very disappointing that Minnesota doesn't visit Grand Forks in the last season as conference members though. Bad luck for the rotation to fall like this in our final year.

Holy Cross, Boston University, and Notre Dame are our only non conference opponents? Is it normal to just have 3 and last year just felt like more with the Ice Breaker tourney being moved to the Ralph? Pretty strong schedule though. Very disappointing that Minnesota doesn't visit Grand Forks in the last season as conference members though. Bad luck for the rotation to fall like this in our final year.

UND is also in the Gold Rush Tourney in Fairbanks at the Beginning of the season, they will play UAA and UAF. That makes 8 non-conference games for UND next season.

I see two exhibitions to start off the year when there's usually only one. Anybody have any information about that?

There is usually an exhibition in mid December around the time the semester ends, but it looks like they have a regular series instead. That may be why they moved the 2nd exhibition to the beginning of the season.

So if Brad's Blog is correct, another Regular season with no trip to the East Coast?

Don't we owe Merrimack, Harvard or UNH a trip in return for their past series at the Ralph?

v/r

Sioux Fan Stuck in Baaaaaaahston

this Sioux fan in Maine was wondering the same thing. Might go through withdrawals with no in person Sioux games for two year.

So if Brad's Blog is correct, another Regular season with no trip to the East Coast?

Don't we owe Merrimack, Harvard or UNH a trip in return for their past series at the Ralph?

v/r

Sioux Fan Stuck in Baaaaaaahston

I believe Merrimack's contract was just for 2 games that season (i.e. no return trip). We made trips to Harvard (Dec. '08) and New Hampshire (Oct. '05) before they came out to play us (Harvard this year, and UNH in Dec. '07), thus fulfilling those 2 for 2 contracts.