SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

To 61Hawk:

It appears that you care very much about the campus environment and architecture.  I think we do.  It is apparent that you are upset about a number of buildings that were removed versus gutted and rebuilt on the inside or renovated.  I would like to have that discussion with you.  Can you list the buildings that you are upset about?  So, I know more about your concerns.  The buildings (major buildings) that have been removed that I know about are:

1)  Union

2) Memorial Stadium

3) Several dorms

4) Pending removal of Hyslop

The school has done several very nice renovations recently.  Or things can continue as they have been in this thread.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FSSD said:

To 61Hawk:

It appears that you care very much about the campus environment and architecture.  I think we do.  It is apparent that you are upset about a number of buildings that were removed versus gutted and rebuilt on the inside or renovated.  I would like to have that discussion with you.  Can you list the buildings that you are upset about?  So, I know more about your concerns.  The buildings (major buildings) that have been removed that I know about are:

1)  Union

2) Memorial Stadium

3) Several dorms

The school has done several very nice renovations recently.  Or things can continue as they have been in this thread.

Merrifield is one example of renovating an old building for the future. I have many fond memories of that building and I am glad it isn't going away.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

Merrifield is one example of renovating an old building for the future. I have many fond memories of that building and I am glad it isn't going away.

I thought that they did a nice job with the old school presidents house and Carnegie Library building also.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

I agree!

UND does a good job of keeping the campus community and public up to date on campus projects at the its Campus Renewal Blog: https://blogs.und.edu/campus-renewal/

UND is not all about razing buildings. It's a mix of razing and reno projects on campus:

Recent renovations are:

Wilkerson

Brannon Hall

Harrington (partial reno)

MCCannel Hall (partial reno)

Merrifield

Chester Fritz Library

Carnegie Building

Old Stone House (president's house) now called Gershman Graduate Center.

Education building

O'Kelly Hall (Partial reno)

Law School Baker Court Room

More planned renovations:

Noren Hall

Selke Hall

Columbia Hall?

3 hours ago, FSSD said:

To 61Hawk:

1)  Union

2) Memorial Stadium

3) Several dorms

I'd be willing to have a discussion with you if I knew who the hell you were.  If you're some 25 year old 3rd year Freshman at UND I'll pass.  If you're someone who actually has some authority I'm open for discussion.  Otherwise what you're asking for is nothing more than a waste of my time and we might as well keep it here on this forum.

2 hours ago, 61hawk said:

I'd be willing to have a discussion with you if I knew who the hell you were.  If you're some 25 year old 3rd year Freshman at UND I'll pass.  If you're someone who actually has some authority I'm open for discussion.  Otherwise what you're asking for is nothing more than a waste of my time and we might as well keep it here on this forum.

Well this forum is a lot of things, but a waste of time?  Never!

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, 61hawk said:

You’ve wasted plenty of your own time big shoots, nobody believes your tough guy bs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

C'mon @geaux_sioux go easy on the guy.

He's only had time for two posts in 2006, five in 2017, four back in February, and then ... this week, Bison week. 

I guess I was too busy working and building my business to center my life around an online forum which is likely not approved or appreciated by UND because it didn't change its name to the new official mascot.  If any of you are true UND sports fans and care about the university you would petition for the site name change to hawksports.com and not this politically incorrect and offensive site name.  I should reserve that domain name since it's not used... I could sell it to UND down the road for a handsome profit.  Yep, you caught me, I played for UND but now am a NDSU fan and came here just to bash the construction practices of UND.  One question, is the UND vs NDSU game a home or away game?

From the front page:

Siouxsports.com is not affiliated with the University of North Dakota. 

'Not affiliated' means this is not a site owned by UND. The site owner, @jimdahl, has to this time, when asked, chosen not to change the site/domain name. Being a private website offers Jim that perogative. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/28/2023 at 10:11 AM, nodak651 said:

Really hoping that if gambling is going to occur at any of the bars/restaurants that may be located in these P3 projects that the UND Alumni Association finally gets involved.  

@MoSiouxFan Why did you downvote me for this?  It wouldn't take an opportunity away from anyone - it would be an opportunity that UND creates itself?

I may be wrong, but it looks like NDSU Teammakers made 1.7 million from gambling last year.  Pretty hard to compete with that when UND isn't participating.

image.png.0ac6c91be3ea1ebbc70d838422591758.png

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/456014085/202342989349301884/full

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

@MoSiouxFan Why did you downvote me for this?  It wouldn't take an opportunity away from anyone - it would be an opportunity that UND creates itself?

I may be wrong, but it looks like NDSU Teammakers made 1.7 million from gambling last year.  Pretty hard to compete with that when UND isn't participating.

image.png.0ac6c91be3ea1ebbc70d838422591758.png

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/456014085/202342989349301884/full

Why don't we do things like this? Because of UND's stoic and stubborn clinging to the past, which can be summed up in this sentence: "if we've been doing it the same way for 30 years, then it's good enough for us going forward." That is the backwater, bush-league thinking that is holding us back in athletics. Ideas like this should be studied and adopted if deemed feasible.

36 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Why don't we do things like this? Because of UND's stoic and stubborn clinging to the past, which can be summed up in this sentence: "if we've been doing it the same way for 30 years, then it's good enough for us going forward." That is the backwater, bush-league thinking that is holding us back in athletics. Ideas like this should be studied and adopted if deemed feasible.

Here we go making arguments up again. No clue in regards to the actual facts and circumstances are but still tossing out strawman arguments and accusations.

A large part of why it hasn't been done (yet) is because UND's Champions Club is set up differently than NDSU's TeamMakers meaning there are different hurdles to overcome. On top of that, the optics of taking an existing opportunity/site away from a local non-profit is a bad look regardless how you spin it. That's why @nodak651's commentary about reserving a new opportunity for UND is much more palatable and a much more likely scenario. I can assure you "ideas like this" have been studied for their feasibility. But it is a lot more complicated than you're making it out to be.

As an aside, showing how fickle the non-profit gaming world is, NDSU is likely to lose a large chunk of their revenue in the coming year's if EPIC is able to get its own non-profit to pass the smell test and can "award" itself the Holiday Inn site (or whatever ends up replacing it). And NDSU can't do anything about it. 

41 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Here we go making arguments up again. No clue in regards to the actual facts and circumstances are but still tossing out strawman arguments and accusations.

A large part of why it hasn't been done (yet) is because UND's Champions Club is set up differently than NDSU's TeamMakers meaning there are different hurdles to overcome. On top of that, the optics of taking an existing opportunity/site away from a local non-profit is a bad look regardless how you spin it. That's why @nodak651's commentary about reserving a new opportunity for UND is much more palatable and a much more likely scenario. I can assure you "ideas like this" have been studied for their feasibility. But it is a lot more complicated than you're making it out to be.

As an aside, showing how fickle the non-profit gaming world is, NDSU is likely to lose a large chunk of their revenue in the coming year's if EPIC is able to get its own non-profit to pass the smell test and can "award" itself the Holiday Inn site (or whatever ends up replacing it). And NDSU can't do anything about it. 

I was using @nodak651's comment as just one example of thinking outside the box. I didn't "make up" anything. And I never said these things weren't complicated. Anything worth doing is. But a prominent attitude on this site is "We can't do anything about it", whatever the problem being discussed. And that is "stinkin thinkin" (as Zig Ziglar likes to put it).

I don't have all the answers (nobody does), but I know our fundraising system is not equipped to provide our coaches and their respective staff what they need to be competitive in an intercollegiate athletics universe that is increasingly complex and expensive. This should have been addressed 15 years ago when we decided to move up to Division I. Yet, we are still using the same funding model we used in Division II, which has clearly not provided the necessary resources for our coaches and student-athletes. Sometimes I think our coaching hires struggle to put a winning team together not because they suddenly forgot how to coach and/or recruit, but because they don't have what they need to be successful at those things. You cannot make chicken salad out of chicken.....well, you know the rest. You either adapt to changing times and circumstances or you get left behind (way behind). That isn't "just my opinion", either. That is a fact.

• 1 month later...