SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

45 minutes ago, 61hawk said:

Sorry, I'm not much of a cheerleader or sunshine pumper as some here.  Would it help if I presented my credentials to help back up my concern about the future of Hyslop?  I do have a 4th if needed, I just don't remember where it is.

Screenshot.png

No.  Playing basketball at UND does not provide you a leg up.  My dad also played at UND and brought me to all the Sioux games when I was a kid in the 60s and 70s.  I remember going to UND/NDSU games when they had a freshman game, a JV game and then the main event.  We pretty much lived at the U when I was growing up, basketball, football, hockey and countless other events on campus.  I am sure there are many on this board with a long history with the Fieldhouse/Hyslop. So, no, playing basketball at UND does not provide trump.

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, 61hawk said:

Ha!!!  You take things way too literally.  I also said that there are buildings on every campus that hold little to no historic value to the of the architectural value to the historic portion of the campus.  On most old campuses those buildings of historic value are in the center of the campus and surround a horseshoe or square.  Many buildings built in the 1960's - 1990's were little more than generic brick boxes with no redeeming features.  The Walsh quad has historic value, the cinder block married housing buildings on the west end of campus that have been torn down did not.  Hyslop has historic value, the science building west of Hyslop does not.  The Chester Fritz auditorium as much as I don't like the look does have historic value, the Fine Arts building across the coulee not so much... actually most of campus west of the English Coulee has no historic or architectural value.  The old President's ranch style house, nope.  Just my opinion.  As much history as the old hockey arena had, it was a seriously ugly building that I still hated to see it go but what else could it have been used for?  Storage???  Gamble Hall is an ugly building,  not as ugly as the science building I mentioned, but could be renovated for modern classroom and office space. 

Maybe if I'm ever on the Notre Dame campus again I'll bring up the idea of getting rid of that old football stadium and have them put up a gigantic quonset looking building so the fans and players won't have to play in a non-climate controlled atmosphere.

Done!

27 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

No.  Playing basketball at UND does not provide you a leg up.  My dad also played at UND and brought me to all the Sioux games when I was a kid in the 60s and 70s.  I remember going to UND/NDSU games when they had a freshman game, a JV game and then the main event.  We pretty much lived at the U when I was growing up, basketball, football, hockey and countless other events on campus.  I am sure there are many on this board with a long history with the Fieldhouse/Hyslop. So, no, playing basketball at UND does not provide trump.

I am starting to get the feeling that you just don't like me...

1 hour ago, 61hawk said:

Sorry, I'm not much of a cheerleader or sunshine pumper as some here.  Would it help if I presented my credentials to help back up my concern about the future of Hyslop?  I do have a 4th if needed, I just don't remember where it is.

Screenshot.png

Lol, what a looser! You just lost the internet.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, 61hawk said:

... at Johnson Controls for answers. 

What a great idea ... started under Kennedy in 2018 (first link). 

They (JC) said start by getting rid of the old steam plant (and $90M in deferred maintenance). Yes, they said tear down and start over. Oh my. 

https://www.johnsoncontrols.com/media-center/news/press-releases/2018/10/23/university-of-north-dakota-partners-with-johnson-controls 

https://www.johnsoncontrols.com/insights/2021/case-study/university-of-north-dakota 

"Rusty" Engelstad was structurally harmed by the 1997 flood. 

I find "historically significant" is like art: eye of the beholder. Say Walsh/Squires, those were 1960s ugly dorms and nothing more and I lived in Walsh, yet they faced a quad so should be saved according to some. 

UND has done a great job taking down buildings that need to be down.

be nice if hyssop could be repurposed but the renderings of the new building there is great.

would be nice to if there was a way to make the Betty into a fowl on upper level with moveable seats on the bottom ends 

9 minutes ago, 61hawk said:

Lol, what a tightener!  You just won the internet, well part of it... all of the poorly spelled sites and irrelevant content sites.

Thanks for taking the bait. It’s an old meme but a good one. I know this rim is a bit lower than regulation but a dunk is a dunk.

image.gif.7c0bcbab5569db2e5545b6c6dc8fb767.gif

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

What a great idea ... started under Kennedy in 2018 (first link). 

They (JC) said start by getting rid of the old steam plant (and $90M in deferred maintenance). Yes, they said tear down and start over. Oh my. 

https://www.johnsoncontrols.com/media-center/news/press-releases/2018/10/23/university-of-north-dakota-partners-with-johnson-controls 

https://www.johnsoncontrols.com/insights/2021/case-study/university-of-north-dakota 

To be honest, I don't think I've been on a major renovation project anywhere where Johnson Controls wasn't involved, they're everwhere.  Besides we're talking about Walsh Hall quad in this case, did they come in, evaluate the situation, and say to tear it down?  I've been on projects where renovations left nothing but four exterior walls, Johnson Controls was brought in after the interior was rebuilt and people driving by remember the buildings from the outside but wouldn't recognize the buildings from the interior and everyone is happy.  But at this point its too late to even be talking about since the Walsh Hall quad is now gone and some new buildings will be going up. 

On an somewhat unrelated subject, isn't it interesting that in Europe buildings stand for centuries, but in this country after a few decades the buildings are deemed unsafe and/or unusable.  Those idiots in Paris even rebuilt the Notre Dame Cathedral, don't they know what they could have built with world renowned architects and modern building practices???

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Thanks for taking the bait. It’s an old meme but a good one. I know this rim is a bit lower than regulation but a dunk is a dunk.

image.gif.7c0bcbab5569db2e5545b6c6dc8fb767.gif

So your comments now are just baiting attempts, that add nothing to the conversation but there just to get a reaction?  I don't think moderators approve of that practice and a good moderator would put you in time out or delete your account.  Am I missing something here, are you the "slow" member of this forum that people just put up with?

17 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

They won’t. Maybe post a picture of your old jock strap next!

So what you're saying is the moderator of this page isn't doing his job, is that what you're saying?

I don't have any, but I bet if you go over to Reddit you'll find a whole forum with people who share the same sexual fetish as you.

I showed what I bring to the discussion as far as my relationship with Hyslop's future? What do you bring?  A handful of old basketball programs and a broken Shrine Circus plastic sword?

15 minutes ago, 61hawk said:

So what you're saying is the moderator of this page isn't doing his job, is that what you're saying?

I don't have any, but I bet if you go over to Reddit you'll find a whole forum with people who share the same sexual fetish as you.

I showed what I bring to the discussion as far as my relationship with Hyslop's future? What do you bring?  A handful of old basketball programs and a broken Shrine Circus plastic sword?

What I’m saying is the moderators actually do a great job and can spot the difference between a crybaby boomer who doesn’t understand internet culture and an actual situation requiring moderation. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

What I’m saying is the moderators actually do a great job and can spot the difference between a crybaby boomer who doesn’t understand internet culture and an actual situation requiring moderation. 

But you just admitted to baiting another member, baiting is not allowed on any moderated discussion groups, and doing so would at minimum have the comment deleted and a warning issued by a moderator.  Repeated baitings or violations would have the person baiting put in time out or have their account deleted.  You just said that the moderator of this page is not going to anything about your baiting comments... so isn't that saying the moderator isn't doing his job?  Why is he here if he's not going to keep control of the page?

What exactly is "internet culture"?  A culture where people get run over because they're too busy staring at their phone to notice the bus heading toward them?  A culture where personal relationships and social engagements with others are virtual and where you don't have to have any physical interaction with others?  You would have hated the 1980's when we "boomers" were UND students, we actually left our dorms and apartments and went out in public to do things and meet people.  No virtual classes, no remote learning, no DoorDash delivering food to our door... I know even the mention of this is making you feel uncomfortable.  We would invade East Grand Forks bars on weekends and didn't sit around playing XBox.  If having to leave "mom's basement" and interact with people face-to-face makes a person a "boomer", well I guess I'm a proud boomer.  It's October, make sure you don't forget to pay your student loan now that repayments are starting back up and you'll actually be required to act like a responsible adult.  No more free rides kiddies!!!  I actually feel sorry for kids who have to grow up in the world today.  They're to scared to even take the bus to school and mom has to waste two hours of her day in line dropping off and picking up their high school student.

You were hoping for a boomer rant, so I gave you one.

8 minutes ago, 61hawk said:

But you just admitted to baiting another member, baiting is not allowed on any moderated discussion groups, and doing so would at minimum have the comment deleted and a warning issued by a moderator.  Repeated baitings or violations would have the person baiting put in time out or have their account deleted.  You just said that the moderator of this page is not going to anything about your baiting comments... so isn't that saying the moderator isn't doing his job?  Why is he here if he's not going to keep control of the page?

What exactly is "internet culture"?  A culture where people get run over because they're too busy staring at their phone to notice the bus heading toward them?  A culture where personal relationships and social engagements with others are virtual and where you don't have to have any physical interaction with others?  You would have hated the 1980's when we "boomers" were UND students, we actually left our dorms and apartments and went out in public to do things and meet people.  No virtual classes, no remote learning, no DoorDash delivering food to our door... I know even the mention of this is making you feel uncomfortable.  We would invade East Grand Forks bars on weekends and didn't sit around playing XBox.  If having to leave "mom's basement" and interact with people face-to-face makes a person a "boomer", well I guess I'm a proud boomer.  It's October, make sure you don't forget to pay your student loan now that repayments are starting back up and you'll actually be required to act like a responsible adult.  No more free rides kiddies!!!  I actually feel sorry for kids who have to grow up in the world today.  They're to scared to even take the bus to school and mom has to waste two hours of her day in line dropping off and picking up their high school student.

Young people today are 1000% more mature than you are.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 61hawk said:

On an somewhat unrelated subject, isn't it interesting that in Europe buildings stand for centuries, but in this country after a few decades the buildings are deemed unsafe and/or unusable.  Those idiots in Paris even rebuilt the Notre Dame Cathedral, don't they know what they could have built with world renowned architects and modern building practices???

Guess UND should've been built in Europe, or maybe Egypt with the pyramids. 

14 minutes ago, 61hawk said:

You should cry more

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Guess UND should've been built in Europe, or maybe Egypt with the pyramids. 

The pyramids were built by aliens, they replaced the historic building that were actually constructed by Egyptians.  I know because the guys at Johnson Controls told me.

10 minutes ago, 61hawk said:

What slur, "Fighting Sioux" instead of the sanitized version "Fighting Hawks"?

https://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/38168-ndsu-the-und-10142023/page/9/#comment-1324403

You were called out for it four posts later. 

EDIT:
Now I see you did it again.
https://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/38168-ndsu-the-und-10142023/page/10/#comment-1324527 

• Like 3