SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

33 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The "three-legged" stool plus the synergy pays off.

The legs: EERC, Med School, Aerospace

The synergy: Engineering

What do you get? Aero Eng'g; Biomed Eng'g; Energy and Enviro Eng'g 

I was surprised that UND didn't have Aero Eng'g sooner.  One of the positives from the new President.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

Yeah, I am finally alive again.  If that was you helping to make that happen, thanks.  If it was just me stupid, thank for not pointing that out.:)

Your nudge of me elsewhere got me to nudge @jimdahl.
Credit Jim, our beloved and hallowed administrator, for manually resetting some things for you. 

• Upvote 1

Most Beautiful Campuses in the Midwest

Grand Forks, ND
Before long, the leaves will begin changing color in North Dakota, and the University of North Dakota campus in Grand Forks will take on the colors of fall and look even more beautiful than it does the rest of the year, which seems impossible. Then, in the winter, the campus takes on the look and feel of a Hallmark movie when it gets blanketed with snow, and students read or study by one of the fireplaces on campus. 

The main university boulevard is the campus thoroughfare, and buildings, both old and new, run along both sides. Or take the high road and get from building to building from above by walking across the cool and panoramic overhead skyways. The “boulevard” also connects to the quad, considered the center of the UND. A great way to take advantage of all those trees, nature and the bright green grass is from a hammock — join the Hammock Appreciation Club, the largest student organization on campus. For even more outdoor decor, the scenic English Coulee waterway snakes its way through campus en route to the Red River, situated right nearby.

It is a nice list to be part of.  Good Company.

• Upvote 4

What buildings are they planning on tearing down next?  The campus is almost unrecognizable for those who don't live in the area.  Other universities renovate, UND demolishes.  Isn't it about time UND tears down the Chester Fritz Auditorium?

Which is pure BS.  I've worked my entire adult life around higher education and at universities around the country.  I have worked in dozens of renovated buildings and buildings that were currently under renovation that were as old or older than the buildings that UND is tearing down because of "asbestos and lead paint".  I've been in historic buildings that were nothing more than exterior walls, when completed the exterior will look the same, the inside will be state of the art.  Alumni at other universities would lose their mind if the administration made decisions that are being made at UND.  From my experience, tell Princeton, Yale, Brown, Duke, Vanderbilt or Notre Dame alumni that you needs to demolish a building and you'll have a fight on your hands.  At UND, in typical North Dakota fashion (and I am born and raised in ND) they'll just stand around with their hands in their pockets and say "well if you think its best, I don't want to start an argument and upset you" and in come the demolition crews to tear down 100-150 year old structures to put up a structure that'll hopefully last 50-60 years before it's complete carpet and vinyl plank flooring garbage.  I don't mean to be disrespectful, but it pisses me off to see what's being torn down on the UND campus.  What they're planning for Hyslop is not necessary if they would just make an attempt to hire competent architects and engineers to work on the project.  They're demolishing and building because it's easier... a demolition crew is likely more expensive than a remediation crew. "Oh the ground is unstable"... do you not think that is going to have to be addressed with the new construction?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

There is very little reason to keep Hyslop standing.  Now to renovate Chester Fritz that would be pretty cool.  I like the look of that building

That's probably because you have little history with the building.  Are you saying that the structure couldn't be repurposed?

14 minutes ago, 61hawk said:

That's probably because you have little history with the building.  Are you saying that the structure couldn't be repurposed?

I hear you. When Hyslop is gone, every venue I attended as a student (1993-2000) will be gone. And you are right, the "cost prohibitive" line is used way too often.

That being said, I think they have plans for the Hyslop site. Chester Fritz should be remodeled and refurbished.

2 hours ago, 61hawk said:

What buildings are they planning on tearing down next?  The campus is almost unrecognizable for those who don't live in the area.  Other universities renovate, UND demolishes.  Isn't it about time UND tears down the Chester Fritz Auditorium?

Unrecognizable in a great way. Campus is amazing. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I hear you. When Hyslop is gone, every venue I attended as a student (1993-2000) will be gone. And you are right, the "cost prohibitive" line is used way too often.

That being said, I think they have plans for the Hyslop site. Chester Fritz should be remodeled and refurbished.

I have never liked the look of the Chester Fritz Auditorium.  Sure it's different and doesn't match anything else on campus... so I guess it has that going for it.  Who thought orange brick was a good idea?  The same people who approved the pie wedge addition on Gamble Hall.  Phil Jackson wasn't the only one smoking dope back in the 60's.  I wouldn't hold my breath for "remodeled and refurbished", UND administration prefers demolition and construction. 

speaking of Chester Fritz auditorium......

i might be the only person in the world to see BOTH the Pointer Sisters (chester fritz auditorium...late 70's? early 80's??) AND The 2 Live Crew (down under/sensations 2005ish?) live in concert in North Dakota.

prove me wrong.....

1 hour ago, 61hawk said:

Which is pure BS.  I've worked my entire adult life around higher education and at universities around the country.  I have worked in dozens of renovated buildings and buildings that were currently under renovation that were as old or older than the buildings that UND is tearing down because of "asbestos and lead paint".  I've been in historic buildings that were nothing more than exterior walls, when completed the exterior will look the same, the inside will be state of the art.  Alumni at other universities would lose their mind if the administration made decisions that are being made at UND.  From my experience, tell Princeton, Yale, Brown, Duke, Vanderbilt or Notre Dame alumni that you needs to demolish a building and you'll have a fight on your hands.  At UND, in typical North Dakota fashion (and I am born and raised in ND) they'll just stand around with their hands in their pockets and say "well if you think its best, I don't want to start an argument and upset you" and in come the demolition crews to tear down 100-150 year old structures to put up a structure that'll hopefully last 50-60 years before it's complete carpet and vinyl plank flooring garbage.  I don't mean to be disrespectful, but it pisses me off to see what's being torn down on the UND campus.  What they're planning for Hyslop is not necessary if they would just make an attempt to hire competent architects and engineers to work on the project.  They're demolishing and building because it's easier... a demolition crew is likely more expensive than a remediation crew. "Oh the ground is unstable"... do you not think that is going to have to be addressed with the new construction?

agree with most of what you said.....the two old cream colored buildings (corwin-larimore and the other one) across univ from nistler should'nt have been torn down...would've been nice condos right in the middle of campus...

eb2a12fba3895e0eae318cb181e248a4c4bbc320

so glad they didn't demo the old library...that looks awesome (weird how that didn't have asbestos and lead paint :)

agree with hyslop.....tear down the additions on the backside and reno the existing front and arena and make it home of bball and the betty can be all volleyball.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

agree with hyslop.....tear down the additions on the backside and reno the existing front and arena and make it home of bball and the betty can be all volleyball.

One of the last projects I worked on was with an old ROTC building that was renovated into classroom and office space.  A second floor was added to the area that was the gymnasium.  The same could easily be done at Hyslop to the original building, natural light would be the biggest concern.   Perfect for classroom/lab space.

I've never stepped foot into The Betty (I gave up on athletic support with the name change), but Hyslop would easily hold the crowd for men's and women's basketball.  When do either draw more than 6000 fans?

2 minutes ago, 61hawk said:

One of the last projects I worked on was with an old ROTC building that was renovated into classroom and office space.  A second floor was added to the area that was the gymnasium.  The same could easily be done at Hyslop to the original building, natural light would be the biggest concern.   Perfect for classroom/lab space.

I've never stepped foot into The Betty (I gave up on athletic support with the name change), but Hyslop would easily hold the crowd for men's and women's basketball.  When do either draw more than 6000 fans?

und's ROTC?

those big glass block windows at hyslop...couldn't they be clear glass? and with the add on torn down you would get souther light/exposure

3 hours ago, 61hawk said:

Which historic building should have been remodeled instead of demolished? The library is a great example of a successful remodel. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Of course you gave up support with the name change.  Thanks for your hot takes this morning.  

What have you contributed to this discussion?  I mean other than being a cheerleader and sunshine pumper.

• Downvote 2