SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

49 minutes ago, franchise said:

Penalties were 2 each way.  Andover was set to go on the PP, but prior to a whistle, there was a call that evened it up.

Andover got a PP in the 3rd and tied the game.

East got their PP immediately in OT.  I think it was over after 36 secs.  It wasn't worthy of being called in OT, after the numerous questionable things they let slide throughout regulation...including Paine for DE getting away with going knee to knee with an Andover player on 2 occasions.

I have a buddy that follows MN high school more than I do, and he noted that Andover should easily beat them, however he mentioned the refs would probably change things.  I thought it was funny when I saw DE's goal was on the man advantage in OT.  I shot him a text :)

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I have a buddy that follows MN high school more than I do, and he noted that Andover should easily beat them, however he mentioned the refs would probably change things.  I thought it was funny when I saw DE's goal was on the man advantage in OT.  I shot him a text :)

For sure.  Andover is a much more skilled team, but they felt like a big underdog going in.  When the arm went up in OT, you could tell it was over.

19 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Andover definitely had a little more talent through out but anybody who thought Andover should easily beat Duluth East was dreaming. When they played in the regular season Andover only beat East 2-1 in OT and that was at Andover. East has a lot of size and you know the game gets a little more physical come playoff time. They also had the coaching advantage with Randolph behind the bench. Playing at Amsoil with a big crowd from East and just the tradition and experience East has I personally felt it was pretty much a toss up game and picked Duluth East.

2 hours ago, SiouxFan25 said:

Any potential recruits we should be watching for in the Minnesota state tournament?

Should be looking at Richels from Blaine.  Already assisted on their first goal.  I'm sure Ausmus and Parker (EGF) would be ones to watch from a local angle.

edit: He now has a G and 2 assists midway through the second.

7 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

So our highest commit in the MSHSL tourney is for our sub conference football team.... ouch. That doesn't help ease the stink of this season. 

Well, one of the players in the top 100 performances of the tournament is on our team now, so I don't think that is a good or bad sign.  There are so many players that look like they will be studs but never amount to much. 

9 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

So our highest commit in the MSHSL tourney is for our sub conference football team.... ouch. That doesn't help ease the stink of this season. 

Um, well none of our committed recruits are playing high school hockey this season  so... maybe that’s why... 

:whistling:

30 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Um, well none of our committed recruits are playing high school hockey this season  so... maybe that’s why... 

:whistling:

Right!  Recall Brock Boeser didn't play his senior year at Burnsville- he was in the USHL in Waterloo.  I will caveat the following with this: Minnesota prep is the last bastion where elite players can stay at a development path at home- albeit it must be supplemented with elite league or international.  

Its more rare these days for the best talent to play high school as seniors- it does still happen, but it is not the primary path, unless there is a family reason or a physical maturity need.  

North of the border, the best are most often off playing major junior at 16.  Some college bound studs are playing junior A or at a hockey focused prep school at 16.

Down here it's USNTDP or prep school or Elite AAA.  

Imagine Jack Hughes playing a high school schedule?

not saying it's great for the kid as a whole, but if your an elite player, leaving is the default, staying is the exception.

19 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Right!  Recall Brock Boeser didn't play his senior year at Burnsville- he was in the USHL in Waterloo.  I will caveat the following with this: Minnesota prep is the last bastion where elite players can stay at a development path at home- albeit it must be supplemented with elite league or international.  

Its more rare these days for the best talent to play high school as seniors- it does still happen, but it is not the primary path, unless there is a family reason or a physical maturity need.  

North of the border, the best are most often off playing major junior at 16.  Some college bound studs are playing junior A or at a hockey focused prep school at 16.

Down here it's USNTDP or prep school or Elite AAA.  

Imagine Jack Hughes playing a high school schedule?

not saying it's great for the kid as a whole, but if your an elite player, leaving is the default, staying is the exception.

Exactly.  I think Bryce Brod. will be a nice player but with other seniors, you have to take their inflated numbers with a grain of salt.  And no....I couldn't even imagine what Jack Hughes would do in this tourney. 

7 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I'm not knocking Brock, but Oshie had 45 points in 44 games as a freshman, while Brock had 21 points in 42 games as a freshman. Like yzerman19 said Oshie was special.

The 2010-11 team was stacked and 21 points would put him in second on this year's team. Brock was a success, even if it wasn't at Oshie's level. 

Very disappointing seeing so much talent on the ice at the X this year and much of it committed talent but no UND commits. Feels to me like the last couple years the staff really hasn't been that active in Minnesota and specifically the Twin Cities. Minnesota should be one of the biggest focus areas when it comes to recruiting and in my opinion the biggest focus area. Yeah there is competition there with Minnesota, Duluth, St. Cloud, Mankato, and Bemidji all doing plenty of recruiting there but realistically with all the UND program has to offer the only team on that list you might not be the favorite more often than not is Minnesota and that is understandable. Watching Ryder Donovan last night he sure looked like a prototype UND player. Still think that loss is gonna hurt big time.

19 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Very disappointing seeing so much talent on the ice at the X this year and much of it committed talent but no UND commits. Feels to me like the last couple years the staff really hasn't been that active in Minnesota and specifically the Twin Cities. Minnesota should be one of the biggest focus areas when it comes to recruiting and in my opinion the biggest focus area. Yeah there is competition there with Minnesota, Duluth, St. Cloud, Mankato, and Bemidji all doing plenty of recruiting there but realistically with all the UND program has to offer the only team on that list you might not be the favorite more often than not is Minnesota and that is understandable. Watching Ryder Donovan last night he sure looked like a prototype UND player. Still think that loss is gonna hurt big time.

Looking at the Seniors playing in the tournament, who would you want as a recruit over the following (also HS Seniors), Blaisdell, Rizzo, Caulfield, Pinto, Frisch, Bast?