SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I thought ditching the gentleman's agreement would preclude getting such young commitments. I guess there's plenty of time to get him to change his mind though. :silly:

I took this argument to the Gopher fans on GPL. I don't think I convinced many of them.

Hockey is a different animal, and I understand that recruiting is different, but what I found by researching football and basketball is that recruit stealing (or "flipping") typically happens to top recruits between top programs. The Gopher fans are hoping that they can snipe late bloomers from smaller schools in order to fill roster holes, but Boston College doesn't typically follow that model. York (college hockey's closest thing to an admitted recruit thief) tends to follow the football/basketball model by stealing top recruits from BU, Harvard, Notre Dame and the like.

One thing I know for certain is that the trend to recruit younger will NOT change. Top prospects from ANYWHERE in the country are getting offers from top programs (NCAA & CHL) very early. The spate of 14 and 15 year-olds that the Gophers recently committed all had options (even the Minnesotans) and the Gophers wanted to get them locked up early. This is exactly the same as football/basketball. The kind of players Minnesota recruits at the age of 15 aren't looking at Mankato, SCSU, or Bemidji. They may be looking at UNO or UMD, but they're most likely looking at UND, Wisconsin, and Notre Dame. In short, the bigger the talent = the younger he's identified = the more attention he gets from top schools. Some fans may think that, without the GA, that a team like the Gophers can simply step in when the Wisconsin committed kid is 18 years-old and steal him away. That may happen on occasion, but with top prospects, the Gophers would be in a much better position to just commit the kid at 15 and try to hold on to him. If he doesn't pan out, then alternatives are available.

Even with the death of the GA, Lucia won't openly admit to "flipping" the next guy to switch his committment to the Gophers. He'll insist that the player publicly decommits and "reopens" his recruitment process. However, my best guess is that this hypothetical player will be a stud playing his senior year in the NTDP, USHL, or BCHL. It'll probably happen halfway through the season. He'll likely be a high NHL draft prospect.

I also predict that a Gopher fan will read this post and write about it on GPL, because unlike me, they don't have the guts to write a dissenting opinion on a rival's message board.

Huh? You posted there and were engaged there and iirc it was mostly amicable. Are those few posters supposed to have some kind of special radar that alerts them to move the discussion here? And surely it takes guts that they supposedly lack to take your shots here not there, right?

And no, I won't report you Mr. Stand Up And Be Accountable Guy.

Huh? You posted there and were engaged there and iirc it was mostly amicable. Are those few posters supposed to have some kind of special radar that alerts them to move the discussion here? And surely it takes guts that they supposedly lack to take your shots here not there, right?

In English please :)

So it's not ok for him to come here and have a discussion on topic? Oh that's right you are a goof fan and they rule the college hockey world.

So it's not ok for him to come here and have a discussion on topic? Oh that's right you are a goof fan and they rule the college hockey world.

Wait, what? The point was he's calling them cowards for not coming here to address an argument they might not even realize is being made. Especially lame given they already engaged him and it wasn't contentious. Just seems a bit unnecessary, but whatever.

This was the comment:

"I also predict that a Gopher fan will read this post and write about it on GPL, because unlike me, they don't have the guts to write a dissenting opinion on a rival's message board."

btw, your comment is precisely why a Gopher fan might not feel inclined to argue here. ;)

Case in point

That's a case in point? You addressed the topic there, were responded to there, it was friendly, it happened a month ago, and I don't see anyone referencing your commentary from yesterday.

He referred to something written on another message board on GPL, rather than addressing it on THAT team's message board. Based on that, I figured it wasn't unreasonable to assume that a opinion I offered on this message board may again be referenced on GPL. It was not the first time it's occurred.

He referred to something written on another message board on GPL, rather than addressing it on THAT team's message board. Based on that, I figured it wasn't unreasonable to assume that a opinion I offered on this message board may again be referenced on GPL. It was not the first time it's occurred.

And it definitely won't be the last. They talk about things I say all the time on GPL without ever discussing it with me personally. It's common.

It goes both ways though. Some people here do the same thing. Nothing new indeed.

I suppose it does, but I typically try to engage at the source first before taking it back to my own fanbase. I own and use accounts at GPL, scsuhockey.com, ushsho.com, finishyourcheck, and USCHO (among others). Interacting with other teams' fans is part of the fun of being a fan. It's even more fun when you take it to their house!

challengecup2.jpg

Not always, I have seen where some post one opinion one on GPL and then change their tune when they're on here.

Over The Boards @OTBPuckWatch 6m

97 F Max Zimmer (Wayzata) commits to Wisconsin. Effective playmaker led 4th-ranked Trojans in scoring as a sophomore. Our #42

uncommitted.

Very good highly skilled player that I really liked but kinda guessed he might end up at Wisconsin with one of his teammates already committed to them.

Chris Dilks @ChrisDilks 11m

Chicago(USHL) '97 F Robby Jackson has committed to St. Cloud. USHL rookie of the year; huge pick-up for St. Cloud.

Monster pick up....I was hoping somehow Hak would get this kid. At least he chose the NCHC....good for the conference.

Monster pick up....I was hoping somehow Hak would get this kid. At least he chose the NCHC....good for the conference.

Looks like they only had to beat out Mankato, CC, and Miami for this kid. I would expect to have at least a few schools like UND, MN, Wisconsin or some eastern powers in the hunt if the kid was really as impressive as some fans are making him out to be. Maybe a lot of the coaches out there aren't quite as high on him as we think.

Looks like they only had to beat out Mankato, CC, and Miami for this kid. I would expect to have at least a few schools like UND, MN, Wisconsin or some eastern powers in the hunt if the kid was really as impressive as some fans are making him out to be. Maybe a lot of the coaches out there aren't quite as high on him as we think.

Rookie of the year in the best American junior A league in North America as a 16 year old. Close to 30 goals, id give him a peek.

FYI....CC and Miami are good hockey schools.

Rookie of the year in the best American junior A league in North America as a 16 year old. Close to 30 goals, id give him a peek.

FYI....CC and Miami are good hockey schools.

CC hasn't been "good" since 2007-2008. You're giving them credit for things they did many years ago rather than what they are now.

Miami is good. Although we'll have to see how they do in the future now that they are out of the weaker CCHA. The first year results weren't great.

The point is I think it says something that we really don't see any of the traditionally successful schools making a push here.

CC hasn't been "good" since 2007-2008. You're giving them credit for things they did many years ago rather than what they are now.

Miami is good. Although we'll have to see how they do in the future now that they are out of the weaker CCHA. The first year results weren't great.

The point is I think it says something that we really don't see any of the traditionally successful schools making a push here.

CC did give Frattins team all they could handle. They certainly weren't bad in 2010.

Don't hate. The kid's a player. It could just be the "traditionally successful" schools didn't have room.

None of the "traditionally successful" schools made a push for Drew Leblanc or Nic Dowd either. ;)

• Upvote 1

I must have imagined that 2011 regional where CC put a whoopin' on the defending national champs...

CC is a good hockey school. Miami has a decent amount of nhl players good right now, that played there in the past 7 years.

You are missing the point here...Jackson was a stud.....in the best junior A league in NA.....at 16. I'll i was saying was scsu got a nice prospect. His resume is good, get what I'm saying?