SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

This has probably been discussed, but I was wondering about Warroad's Kyle Sylvester. I know linemates Roth and Bethune are headed to Duluth. Is Sylvester a prospect or not?

He has a chance but I think he benefits a lot from being on that line and needs to improve to get a chance. Probably will play juniors and hope that someone will offer him after a couple years, I would guess he may end up low D1 or maybe at a D3 after his junior eligibility is up.

Also saw Hak was at the Little Ralph last night and I believe Jackson was with him. I'm sure they were mostly watching Zach Yon who has already committed but I wouldn't be surprised if they were also there to get a look at Alex Strand of Roseau and Aaron Herdt of Moorhead.

Good chance to get a look at a number of prospective recruits with EGF and Warroad on WDAZ and available on WDAZ.com tonight for the Section 8A Championship.

EGF beat Warroad 3-2 in 2 OT in the 8A title game. Sylvester looked better than the last time I saw him but still doubt we are after him and it sounds like Bemidji is after him. UMD has got a couple good ones in Bethune and Roth although I still think Roth will need to put on muscle and learn to play more in his d zone he has a ton of offensive skill and Bethune just is a real good all around player and will probably be one we wished we got. From EGF I thought Poolman and Bowen really stood out tonight and while EGF wasn't at there best they still showed flashes. Tweeten and the younger Loven are also a couple that I like but I think Tweeten needs to become a little better skater still but he has room to grow.

EGF beat Warroad 3-2 in 2 OT in the 8A title game. Sylvester looked better than the last time I saw him but still doubt we are after him and it sounds like Bemidji is after him. UMD has got a couple good ones in Bethune and Roth although I still think Roth will need to put on muscle and learn to play more in his d zone he has a ton of offensive skill and Bethune just is a real good all around player and will probably be one we wished we got. From EGF I thought Poolman and Bowen really stood out tonight and while EGF wasn't at there best they still showed flashes. Tweeten and the younger Loven are also a couple that I like but I think Tweeten needs to become a little better skater still but he has room to grow.

I watched the game last night as well and agree with you on Tweeten. Given this was the only time I've seen him since last year's televised games, he looks like he needs to gain a few steps in his skating to play at the next level. He has nice size and is still young so he certainly has time to develop.

Over the boards on a couple of people mentioned here.

Link: http://overtheboards.net/select-70-top-uncommitted-prospects-february-2014/

41. 97 F Tanner Tweten - East Grand Forks High School – 6’2 – 198

Big, coordinated hybrid power forward with some skill and craftiness to boot. Doesn’t force plays and can cause fits on the forecheck. Works hard at both ends of the ice. USHL rights owned by Des Moines.

33. 96 F John Peterson - Holy Family Catholic – 5’10 – 159

Confident skater accelerates to top speed very quickly and has a ton of skill on the puck. Makes plays at high speed and really thrives on the transition. USHL free agent, WHL rights owned by Everett.

15. 97 F Robby Jackson - Chicago Steel – 5’9 – 174

California-native’s hockey sense and offensive ability has seen him emerge as the USHL’s leading under-17 goalscorer, with 18 goals. WHL rights are owned by Tri-City.

20. 98 F Kieffer Bellows - Edina High School – 5’11 – 195

Bull of a forward with game-shattering scoring ability and a pro build, Bellows is built to dominate and does just that, as he’s tough to contain and has skill to spare at the high school level. WHL rights are owned by Portland.

21. 98 F Mitchell Mattson – Grand Rapids High School – 6’2 – 165

Like Tufte, Mattson has come into his own this season. The tall, lanky forward finished the season with 17 points in his last 10 games and if he continues to develop at this clip, will be a serious offensive threat at the next level. WHL rights are owned by Portland.

50. 97 D Tye Ausmus - East Grand Forks High School – 5’7.25 – 150

Where Ahcan unveiled an offensive side, Ausmus’ production went down this season, but he’s still effective defensively and uses his speed to negate opportunities. USHL rights owned by Lincoln.

Minnesota State High School tournament gets started this Wednesday and there is always some good talent in that.

Class A

Wednesday

#2Hermantown vs. Luverne 11am

top players

Hermantown-Scott Wasbotten SR 42pts, Ryan Kero JR 48pts, Nate Pionk JR 48pts, Wyatt Aamodt SO 24pts, Cole Koepke SO 30pts

Luverne-Logan Norman SR 65pts, Chaz Smedsrud SO 80pts, Jaxon Nelson 8th 62pts, Kendall Meyer SR 18-0-1 1.19 .948

#3New Prague vs. Chisago Lakes 1pm

top players

New Prague-Augie Isaacson SR 53pts, Seth Kriah SR 46pts, Alex Gregor SO 41pts

Chisago Lakes-Brandon Gillespie SR 51pts, Trevor Lushanko SR 47pts, Blake Lizotte SO 48pts,

#1East Grand Forks vs. Orono 6pm

top players

EGF-Dixon Bowen JR 37pts,Grant Loven SO 35pts, Tanner Tweeten SO 28pts, Brandon Loven SR 25pts, Eddie Eades SR 24pts, Colton Poolman SR 22pts, Tye Ausmus JR 9pts, Josh Weber JR 20-1-1 1.22 .922

Orono-Joey Luedtke JR 34pts, Jake Flemmer SR 31pts, Sam Challgren SR 24pts, David Mcsuskey SO 20pts, Jonathon Flakne JR 18-7-1 1.95 .918

#4St.Cloud Cathedral vs. #5Totino-Grace 8pm

top players

SCC-Will Hammer SR 51pts, Matt Fritz JR 39pts, Dan Bailey SR 38pts, Logan Neu SO 34pts, Zach Fritz JR 19-7-1 2.17 .916

TG-Nick Tandeski SR 29pts, Kai Barber SR 31pts, Ben Henderson SR 23pts, Blake Vagle JR 21pts, Brandon Hilliard SR 22pts

AA

Thursday

#2 Lakeville North vs. Roseau 11am

top players

LN-Jack Poehling JR 51pts(SCSU), Nick Poehling JR 41pts(SCSU), Tristen Hazlett SR 35pts, Ryan Poehling FR 32pts (SCSU), Max Johnson SO 31pts, Jack Mcnelly JR 30pts, Jake Oettinger FR 7-2-1 1.86 .931

Roseau-Zach Yon SR 80pts(SIOUX), Alex Strand SR 77pts, Cole Bjugson SR 45pts (BSU), Alex Halstengard SR 42pts, Brady Castle SR 21pts

#3Eden Prairie vs. Centennial 1pm

top players

EP-Steven Spinner SR 47pts(UNO), Luc Snuggerud SR 46pts(UNO), Colton Schmidt SR 23pts, Riley Argetsinger JR 20pts, Michael Graham SO 38pts

Cen-Ryner Gorowsky SR 42pts, Connor Lovick JR 33pts, Adam Anderson SR 28pts, Tyler Nyman SO 21pts

#1Edina vs. Stillwater 6pm

top players

Edina-Miguel Fidler SR 45pts, Cullen Munson SR 37pts, Dylan Malmquist JR 39pts(Notre Dame), Tyler Naane SR 30pts(OSU), Kieffer Bellows SO 29pts, Matt Masterman JR 28pts, Garrett Wait SO 23pts, Ryan Zuhlsdorf SO 14pts, Calvin Pugh FR 2pts

Stillwater-John Heddle SR 34pts, Sam Sagissor SR 23pts, Mitch Reinke SR 19pts(Mich. Tech), Devin Cates JR 23pts, Jackson Cates SO 16pts

#4Duluth East vs. #5 Eagan

top players

East-Phil Beaulieu SR 42pts(UNO), Nick Altmann JR 46pts, Alex Trapp SR 33pts, Brian Bunten JR 25pts, Jack Kolar SR 28pts, Ashton Altmann SO 22pts, Alex Spencer SO 10pts, Gunnar Howg JR 19-5-1 1.85 .912

Eagan-Jack Jenson SR 56pts, Kyle Stebbing SR 36pts, Tommy Muck SR 30pts, Nick Wolff SR 25pts, Andrew Lindgren JR 18-9-1 1.73 .934

The 8th grader Jaxon Nelson was pretty good for Luverne and the commentators said the Gophers have already been looking at him. Overall Luverne surprised me a little bit and gave Hermantown a decent game 6-3.

Doug Woog said a couple years back that coaches are already looking at 9 year olds. Now, he could have been thinking 9th grade, but that wasn't what he said.

Doug Woog said a couple years back that coaches are already looking at 9 year olds. Now, he could have been thinking 9th grade, but that wasn't what he said.

College coach goes and watches a HS game and sees an interesting freshman. Thinks: Maybe after HS and a year of juniors ... five years.

HS coach goes to a bantam game and sees and interesting 9 year old. Thinks: Maybe in ... five years (as a freshman or 8th grader).

The 8th grader Jaxon Nelson was pretty good for Luverne and the commentators said the Gophers have already been looking at him. Overall Luverne surprised me a little bit and gave Hermantown a decent game 6-3.

I have coached against this kid for years. He is the real deal. Over 6 ft. in 8th grade and can put the puck in the net!

College coach goes and watches a HS game and sees an interesting freshman. Thinks: Maybe after HS and a year of juniors ... five years.

HS coach goes to a bantam game and sees and interesting 9 year old. Thinks: Maybe in ... five years (as a freshman or 8th grader).

9 year old is a freaking squirt...no way...

Bantam is when I've seen real scouting happening, and usually for junior. Then junior and high school for college and pro.

What is the scoop with Coltyn Sanderson? He has hardly played his 2 years here. Is he just not very good at this level? Based on playing time, is it safe to assume somebody else will be taking his roster spot next season?

What is the scoop with Coltyn Sanderson? He has hardly played his 2 years here. Is he just not very good at this level? Based on playing time, is it safe to assume somebody else will be taking his roster spot next season?

He is a walk-on and I think doing what most expected he would be. If he wants to play he will probably need to look elsewhere but I would guess he knew the situation when he came in.

The young guys for Edina are looking pretty good against Stillwater tonight early on. Bellows definitely seems like the best of the bunch but the speculation is he will likely end up in the WHL. Wait, Zuhlsdorf, and Pugh all look like for smooth skaters and good potential too.

Doubt we have room for him with him already being a senior but Nick Wolff for Eagan looks pretty good tonight and has some good size but could probably add some more muscle. Eagan's goalie Andrew Lindgren has looked solid too and is the brother of current SCSU goalie Charlie Lindgren.

How's your squad this year on the SD side of the boarder?

Pretty good. Just finished the year and finished 3rd. Hockey is getting better in SD. We can go to MN and compete farily well against the smaller schools but still get it handed to us against the BIg Boys like Eden Praire, Edina etc... A lot of quality players and we are making strides each year. Gotta help having the Stampede in town and having a coach like Eades in the community.

Pretty good. Just finished the year and finished 3rd. Hockey is getting better in SD. We can go to MN and compete farily well against the smaller schools but still get it handed to us against the BIg Boys like Eden Praire, Edina etc... A lot of quality players and we are making strides each year. Gotta help having the Stampede in town and having a coach like Eades in the community.

Don't know much about SD hockey here but anyone good enough to get a look at? Or do most need a year or two of juniors before colleges start looking, granted most HS hockey players need at least a year?

Don't know much about SD hockey here but anyone good enough to get a look at? Or do most need a year or two of juniors before colleges start looking, granted most HS hockey players need at least a year?

Spurred a question for me (I agree with you, by the way): I wonder what percentage of college players played juniors prior to being freshmen in 2013, and how that compares to 5 or 10 years ago? I watch a lot of USHL and it seems a vast majority of everyone who makes that league is going to college or MJ after a year or two (or three), and it reflects in the rosters of most schools in our conference, and geographical area. I don't dig into a lot of the east coast rosters before the regionals, to see where those kids come from, so I don't know if location changes things.

Not really at a point yet where kids get a lot of looks. There is a kid from SIoux Falls who plays for the Stampede that will play at Mankato next year. The logistics of the state and the fact that b-ball is the winter sport make it difficult but like I said, we are making strides but nothing to the caliber for the Big TIme schools to even consider at this point.

Seriously, Tweten, Bowen, and Poolman shouldn't walk out of the Xcel without an offer from UND today.

I'm guessing there already has been discussion..eades as well?

Tweten could be big time and Bowen is flat out solid