SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Andrew Weiss@WeissFC 1h

Minnesota high school standout Jake Wahlin has decommitted from UMass.

Would love to land the pure scorer from White Bear Lake. Wondered if he would end up sticking with UMass and playing with his brother or decide to opt for one of the big time programs.

I'd bet good money he won't be here. Not that I wouldn't want him here because I'm not crazy, but I have a feeling he'd look at who we have coming in and wonder where there was room for him.

Now if he'd be willing to defer for a few years, that'd be a completely different story.

I'd bet good money he won't be here. Not that I wouldn't want him here because I'm not crazy, but I have a feeling he'd look at who we have coming in and wonder where there was room for him.

Now if he'd be willing to defer for a few years, that'd be a completely different story.

Would love to have him. After all, speed kills. Could use his speed after Grimaldi leaves.

Would love to have him. After all, speed kills. Could use his speed after Grimaldi leaves.

No argument here. We've got some other guys with some good speed coming in also, so he'd help add even more in that area too.

I just don't think it's that likely, but I've been wrong before. I'd have no complaints if he decided to come here.

He was only a junior in high school this year so if he went to USHL next season he could be here for the 2015 season and looking at our roster situation we would have 17 forwards already for that season if nobody left early and that also includes Voltin and Rowe who may never make it to campus and also includes Sanderson who will probably never be anything more than a practice player. I think we could find some room for him in that class. If he decided to play at WBL again next season and then in the USHL we would have plenty of room for him.

He was only a junior in high school this year so if he went to USHL next season he could be here for the 2015 season and looking at our roster situation we would have 17 forwards already for that season if nobody left early and that also includes Voltin and Rowe who may never make it to campus and also includes Sanderson who will probably never be anything more than a practice player. I think we could find some room for him in that class. If he decided to play at WBL again next season and then in the USHL we would have plenty of room for him.

Yes, that's my thought as well.

I believe he has already said he has played his last game at WBL. He would be a great pickup though. One of, if not, the best forward in the state this season.

Yeah that's what I thought too. I think some of the WBL people are hoping with the decommit that he'll have changed his mind and come back, but I don't really agree with that one.

I forget. Can you refresh my memory?

As a freshman, Ryan took a hit into the boards and separated his shoulder. Never came back that game. Never came back that year. Tried to play his sophomore year but got hurt again. I think it was against the gophers and IIRC, it was Ballard who ended his career with a questionable boarding.

But at the time he was leading our freshman class in scoring.

Tye Ausmus is held even with 2 shots in Lincolns win.

Alex Strand gets an assist and +2 with one shot and 2pims.

Zach Werenski is one of the top usa u17 had a big game 2 goals and an assist going +2 on 4 shots. This is an elite talent who will probably end up in the OHL (London has his rights).

Luke Kirwan gets an assist with 5 shots all well staying even. He is also another elite talent.

Per over the boards reports on them.

97 D Zach Werenski – NTDP U17 – 6’1 – 206

Versatile, elite defenseman has a pro build and serious mobility. Regarded as one of the USA’s top defense prospects, Werenski is the full package both offensively as well as in his own end. Built out of a franchise defenseman mold and could very well be a one-and-done should he make it to college - London of the OHL own Werenski’s major junior rights.

97 F Luke Kirwan – NTDP U17 – 6’1 – 225

Already 6’1, 225 and somehow isn’t even draft-eligible until 2016. Kirwan turned 16 two weeks ago and has become one of the NTDP’s most impactful skaters already. Competitor with scoring ability and serious size has ‘pro’ written all over him.

And a few reports on players I think have a chance of being really good:

98 F Logan Brown – Indiana Jr. Ice U16 – 6’5 – 200

Doesn’t take much to see that the huge, coordinated prospect is going to be a player. Elite skater seems to have mastered the nuances of how to generate offense and uses dynamic playmaking ability to create something out of nothing in the final third. Hard on the puck and can really handle, shoot and pass it too. Already at well over a point-per-game clip at the U16 level but his upside dwarfs those totals.

97 D Ivan Provorov – Cedar Rapids Roughriders – 6’0 – 200

It’s a rare talent that can play with a vicious edge and still make elite plays with the puck through all of that sandpaper. Provorov can make himself an integral part of the rush or change the momentum of a game with a punishing, well-timed hit. Offensive ability is certainly there but it may take some adjusting to the USHL to truly unearth it.

I agree but his stats seem to indicate that he is more of a grinder than point getter. There must be something that impresses coaches.

Shattuck-St. Mary's Prep team forward Alex Rodruguez is that type of player and is the 5th leading scorer on the team, but he's committed to RPI (happened last week.

As a freshman, Ryan took a hit into the boards and separated his shoulder. Never came back that game. Never came back that year. Tried to play his sophomore year but got hurt again. I think it was against the gophers and IIRC, it was Ballard who ended his career with a questionable boarding.

But at the time he was leading our freshman class in scoring.

according to hockeydb he scored a total of 1 goal at UND...just saying that doesn't sound like a guy who was leading his class in scoring