SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

20 hours ago, Big A HG said:

Food for thought using the Frozen Four teams this year.

David Carle (DU), 34 years old - 3 Frozen Fours in 4 seasons.

Brandon Naurato (Mich), 39 years old - 2 Frozen Fours in 2 seasons.

Jay Pandolfo (BU), 49 years old - 2 Frozen Fours in 2 seasons.

Greg Brown (BC), 56 years old - 1 Frozen Four in 2 seasons.

Brad Berry (UND), 59 years old - 1 Frozen Four in 8 seasons.

**2020 season omitted in statistics since tournament was cancelled

The younger hires of David Carle and Brandon Naurato have both shown to be successful hires so far.  Pandolfo is younger now than Berry was when he was hired.  Greg is of similar age to Brad, but has shown he is able to provide elite recruiting.  There's no agenda to push here, just some interesting tidbits to note.  Maybe having a younger head coach wouldn't be such a bad thing.  Maybe just having a fresh face can spark new life into the program.  Maybe none of it matters and you just need a good coach.  But, combined, the four of those coaches have 8 Frozen Four appearances in their 10 collective seasons while UND hasn't been to one in 8 years.  Not only that, we've only won one NCAA tournament game since then.

If I recall, Blais said that 10 years at one place is about right, as you run the risk of overstaying your welcome.  Of course that is when Sandelin started to come into his own at Duluth, so you never know.  
   Gino had his run from approximately 1978-1987 before things started to deteriorate and he was forced out by Wanless.  We saw that Gino was loyal to a fault, having two goaltenders as his assistants in Craig Perry and Jim Scanlan.  
   I get the feeling that Berry isn’t going anywhere either unless it comes to the same ugly conclusion. Having said that, we are nowhere near that kind of fall, but we do have more advantages now than we used to. 
   I see Berry being loyal to guys that have been loyal to him, but he needs to look at some things and some players with more of an objective eye.  We know who some of those players are/were that seemed to have an extra long leash.

• Upvote 3

13 F currently.

I’ve settled on wanting Klee next year definitely as F 12/13. Ideally, another FR for F 14/15, but a true “Montgomery” type of depth. If not, bring in Littler. Have Croal / Klee / Littler in F 12,13,14. 

College hockey season done.
Countdown to next season has begun.

McLaughlin - Berg - James
Swanson - Wilkie - Perron
Boisvert - Jamernik - Strinden
Kunz - Schmaltz - Croal
Extra: Montgomery, Littler, Klee

Livanavage - Zmolek
Emery - Wiebe
Strathmann - MacDonald
Extra: Komzak, Jubenvill

Sempt / Hedquist
Extra: Johnson

We'll be strong up the middle.  The top 6 will be very good, and still allow you to put skilled players like Strinden & Kunz (two guys I'd expect to see even more progress out of) on the 3rd/4th lines.  Swanson & Boisvert might start on the lower lines, but I could see those two move up the lineup pretty quick once they get used to the speed of college puck.  That 2nd line would be fun to watch with the skill of Perron & Swanson, but they're both on the smaller side, so pairing them with a bigger 2-way player like Wilkie could help.

If you listen to the last UND pod, here were Schlossman’s F lines. I think he nailed it.

Kunz - Berg - Perron

McLaughlin - Wilkie - Swanson

James - Boisvert - Strinden

Schmaltz - Jamernik - Croal

Extra: Klee, Littler, Montgomery 

I’ll second  @brianvf D pairings 

F notes: What we’d see here is potential for the highest ceiling. Would Berry be willing to move Schmaltz / Jamernik from line 3 to 4? I have my doubts. This lineup would show great growth from Berry. Let’s see a lineup that by March / April would give this team the highest ceiling. 

The F group reminds me a bit of 2019. This team could be really good.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, AJS said:

If you listen to the last UND pod, here were Schlossman’s F lines. I think he nailed it.

Kunz - Berg - Perron

McLaughlin - Wilkie - Swanson

James - Boisvert - Strinden

Schmaltz - Jamernik - Croal

Extra: Klee, Littler, Montgomery 

I’ll second  @brianvf D pairings 

F notes: What we’d see here is potential for the highest ceiling. Would Berry be willing to move Schmaltz / Jamernik from line 3 to 4? I have my doubts. This lineup would show great growth from Berry. Let’s see a lineup that by March / April would give this team the highest ceiling. 

The F group reminds me a bit of 2019. This team could be really good.

James should be top 6 over Kunz.

Swanson is not big but he's got elite top end skill.

No way Berry has Schmaltz and the 5th on the 4th line. Zero chance. Do the names Hain and Senden ring a bell??

• Upvote 1

Wasn't Schmaltz just on the fourth line?  How is that no way?

As for Senden and Hain, there were few options that year.  There are now a plethora of better choices, and as demonstrated last year, the better choices end up higher in the lineup.  

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

No way Berry has Schmaltz and the 5th on the 4th line. Zero chance. Do the names Hain and Senden ring a bell??

Unfortunately, I agree. Listening to Schlossman it was a breath of fresh air talking F lines. 

Pieces will be there next year. Here’s to Berry putting the puzzle together. 

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I like Kunz’s net front presence with Berg and Perron’s precision shooting.

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

3rd line, 4th line, it doesn’t really matter if they are put out against the top players of the opposition.

Swanson top 6 no doubt.  I like the thought of him with Berg, but if Wilkie is better on draws then he's  my pick to play with Mac and a guy like Omac.  

Swanson-Berg-Perron seems a bit on the undersized side of things, but I'll allow it with production. 

Too early to talk about or get excited about next years hockey 

too many things can happen between now and then 

enjoy the summer then get ready for football 

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Too early to talk about or get excited about next years hockey 

too many things can happen between now and then 

enjoy the summer then get ready for football 

So -- time to switch to a different frustration?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Irish said:

So -- time to switch to a different frustration?

Like I said before

our teams have the Mn Vikings syndrome

get your hopes up during the season and then they sh it their pants 

22 hours ago, AJS said:

... - Croal

Extra: Klee, Littler, ... 

No portal forward; banking on Klee and Littler and Croal being satisfied with the 12-13-14 roles in a portal world. Interesting. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

No portal forward; banking on Klee and Littler and Croal being satisfied with the 12-13-14 roles in a portal world. Interesting. 

To be fair, I have been adamant that they bring in a FR that is a true depth add (i.e. another Montgomery). Then Klee as 12 / 13 F would be ideal.

What I don't want to see is Berry add a "depth forward" out of the portal. We all know that player will be a fixture in the line-up and will push a FR out. That is a guarantee. Berry cannot help himself. 

Klee / Littler / Croal at 12 / 13 / 14 > Mediocre 5th year at 12 / Croal 13 / Klee 14

2 hours ago, AJS said:

To be fair, I have been adamant that they bring in a FR that is a true depth add (i.e. another Montgomery). Then Klee as 12 / 13 F would be ideal.

What I don't want to see is Berry add a "depth forward" out of the portal. We all know that player will be a fixture in the line-up and will push a FR out. That is a guarantee. Berry cannot help himself. 

Klee / Littler / Croal at 12 / 13 / 14 > Mediocre 5th year at 12 / Croal 13 / Klee 14

Johannes was a "depth forward" at first.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

As of now I'd go

Swanson-Berg-Perron

James-Boisvert-McLaughlin

Kunz-Wilkie-Strinden

Schmaltz-Jamernik-Croal

Livanavage-Zmolek

Wiebe-Emery

Strathmann-MacDonald

Jubenvil

Hedquist