SiouxSports.com Forum

Midco sports

gfhockey

Just now, gfhockey said:

So if they get more content who’s gonna be doing the play-by-play or do we just watch in silence or are they going to sync up the school radio with it?

Every school already has an inside production crew, Midco would just take that feed for their app.  This is already being done at all schools, granted the production value is that good at many...like Miami, Ohio.  

4 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Every school already has an inside production crew, Midco would just take that feed for their app.  This is already being done at all schools, granted the production value is that good at many...like Miami, Ohio.  

Save money, lower quality of product?

3 minutes ago, Green Banner said:

Save money, lower quality of product?

Depends, some schools have a nice production and some schools already have a local sports network.  For Bison BB,  WDAY has to upload their production for streaming to Midco for summit league games and Bison football games to ESPN+ 

18 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Who is und inside play by play guy?

2 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Midco I believe is still under contract to continue the broadcasts, not sure who will call the football, BB and hockey games.  

12 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Midco I believe is still under contract to continue the broadcasts, not sure who will call the football, BB and hockey games.  

But how long does that contract run and what changes can be anticipated when it comes time to renew?

14 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

They had their guys provided my Midco, like Brian, it sounds like people like Brian& Jody, may still have that option to do contract work,  but they may tell them to go pound sand as well, or Brian&Jody may find other jobs that wouldn’t allow the flexibility to do the contract work. So then they would seek out others

Might be an opportunity for your big moment. 

24 minutes ago, the green team said:

They had their guys provided my Midco, like Brian, it sounds like people like Brian& Jody, may still have that option to do contract work,  but they may tell them to go pound sand as well, or Brian&Jody may find other jobs that wouldn’t allow the flexibility to do the contract work. So then they would seek out others

Might be an opportunity for your big moment. 

I think his big moment was at Augie's last weekend.;)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ND1 said:

Midco is moving to a new platform, more of a streaming content provider.  Think of ESPN+ concept.  They already have the Summit League BB streaming rights and I believe they are bidding on streaming rights for the Missouri Valley for football and NCHC for hockey.  

That makes, the RSN model is pretty much dead and high school sports are tough as a money maker. I can see nchc.tv folding in, and would love to see the Dakota 4 muscle MVFC into it as well. I could see them making a play for CCHA and Northern Sun as well 

1 hour ago, nodakvindy said:

That makes, the RSN model is pretty much dead and high school sports are tough as a money maker. I can see nchc.tv folding in, and would love to see the Dakota 4 muscle MVFC into it as well. I could see them making a play for CCHA and Northern Sun as well 

this has Fenton's fingerprints on it........u knew that midco's vision was bigger than high school and whatnot so you knew that was coming...

Fenton and Midco are probably working on bringing everything under one umbrella...More money, more visibility, and more cohesion.  MVFC, Summit, NCHC=Summit League

Summit League-olympic sports, hockey (add St Thomas for sure....wildcards=Augie or Minny State?), and football (FBS?)

if Summit Football  (FBS or not) is an option he has to get 2 or more to join the Dak 4....Northern Iowa, St Thomas, Drake? or Omaha brings back FB?  Minnesota State?

THERE'S FENTON

15 hours ago, ND1 said:

Midco is moving to a new platform, more of a streaming content provider.  Think of ESPN+ concept.  They already have the Summit League BB streaming rights and I believe they are bidding on streaming rights for the Missouri Valley for football and NCHC for hockey.  

What do you mean by the word "platform"?

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

I'd guess they'll try to get them as freelance (1099) workers. Saves the costs of full time benefits. 

At least one of the BB announcers is going to tell them to kick rocks and just be done with them. Wouldn't surprise me if more will do the same thing. 

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

So are they gunna use our radio guys for in-house play by play

seems small time to me and d2-d3 budget 

They mentioned keeping up contractual obligations with UND/USD/SDSU, and I know UND especially hockey has been huge for them so I would see them keeping that as is with a dedicated PXP. I believe they kept a USD and SDSU personality on staff. For other events its better to freelance and not pay fulltime benefits. For lower viewed events as well you might see the radio crew or a school appointed staff. Even the old Fight Sioux Sports Network had dedicated PXP. 

14 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

They mentioned keeping up contractual obligations with UND/USD/SDSU, and I know UND especially hockey has been huge for them so I would see them keeping that as is with a dedicated PXP. I believe they kept a USD and SDSU personality on staff. For other events its better to freelance and not pay fulltime benefits. For lower viewed events as well you might see the radio crew or a school appointed staff. Even the old Fight Sioux Sports Network had dedicated PXP. 

Whose the und personality on staff

9 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Jody Norstedt was but he resigned before layoffs were announced. Taylor Budge was retained, so may be a increased role for her, probably not PXP but shows they are not canning everyone and believe she has a important role with UND athletics. Alex Heinert also appears to have been retained. While he has his CBS Sports assignments as well that is not every weekend. 

Would not be surprised for basketball and volleyball to see Ryan Cunningham come back to doing PxP. He did some previously for those sports as a freelancer for the games that were broadcast on Bally/Fox Sports North. 

14 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Taylor Budge was specifically mentioned in the article that she will remain in Grand Forks.  Alex Heinert was not mentioned as a laid off personality either, so I would guess his role as primary hockey broadcaster would remain.  But they still need a back up for when he has CBS gigs.  Unless this all some master plan with Summit, NCHC, and Midco, like was alluded to earlier.

2 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

Jody Norstedt was but he resigned before layoffs were announced. Taylor Budge was retained, so may be a increased role for her, probably not PXP but shows they are not canning everyone and believe she has a important role with UND athletics. Alex Heinert also appears to have been retained. While he has his CBS Sports assignments as well that is not every weekend. 

Would not be surprised for basketball and volleyball to see Ryan Cunningham come back to doing PxP. He did some previously for those sports as a freelancer for the games that were broadcast on Bally/Fox Sports North. 

I could see Jody going back to WDAY. Don’t think he is interested in relocating right now and don’t see a lot of other opportunities in the broadcast world in the area.

Midco, please let us know who in administration positions were cut.

i thought Midco was headed for bigger things but now they suck just like wday does.

soon everyone will be paying for every broadcast of every sport to many different _platforms

what the hell is Fenton doing

i hope UND hockey doesn’t become a summit broadcast