SiouxSports.com Forum

Midco sports

gfhockey

On 4/28/2024 at 12:09 AM, gfNDfan said:

Not rocket science...Sioux Falls is a giant (largely) untapped media market.   Imagine if Fargo didn't have NDSU and Bismarck and GF had the "big" colleges in the state.   How much could they pull out of Fargo for ad $$?   Answer: NOT ENOUGH!

UND Hockey is Midco's cash cow for ad revenue.  Highest rates and highest demand.  FB and other sports at all schools don't  even come close.  Midco realizes the future of actually making money off local sports depends on cultivating Augie into a D1 Hockey school to sell the SF Market and that means bringing the entire CCHA league into the mix just to secure Augie as the anchor.  

FloSports was an epic disaster.   I subscribed for a UND game at Bemidji and I would have rather had my grandma streaming the game on her phone from the cheap seats.  It was hideous.  Midco just wants to be able to OFFER the games to Sioux Falls businesses.  By firing all their talent it means they don't care about the end product.   It only means they will be able to sell it on a short term basis.   If it's more than 2 cameras and a hack announcer it will be better that what they had.  The cautionary note is UND's production level will suffer on many levels from the cuts as they bring up 1 program from nothing and bring down their premiere program to save them some money.  

I don't expect to see alot of changes on some of these teams broadcast, unless it becomes mandated. They will be the streaming provider allowing the broadcast to go through their servers and handle the billing but not the direct production most likely. Just like ESPN+ you will have some schools that put out a decent product, and then you will have a 1-2 camera production that may be what is used in-house for replay recording with radio broadcasters simulcasted. I don't doubt that they want to bring the NCHC in as well and have a NCHC/CCHA package with maybe summit league to offer a potential big package for the region. As stated by you and others they buy rights to all the programs with the focus being a select few to hopefully have enough subscribers to offset the others.