SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubba Extended

McBuckets

23 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I'm willing to give the student athletes that were recruited in the past three years the benefit of the doubt - it's not like the cupboard is bare. Yes it will be hard to look past what has transpired with Bubba, hard to understand that the Administration either didn't hear the rumbles or didn't care about them. I guess we will learn from the portal what the current student athletes think about the extension. 

I think this is true on the offensive side of the ball.. not so sure on the defensive side.  We will see what happens after the spring sessions.

• Upvote 1

Completely disappointed, but not surprised. Emotions are high, but it's disappointing to see people dropping their season tickets. Here's what I believe is fact, until Chaves is gone. Wins and losses, do not matter. Dropping season tickets won't matter. The best you can hope for is to ride it out, until he's gone. We're also in this very unique time in collegiate athletics where these programs need as much support as possible. I don't want to see the student-athlete suffer. 

Let's start the monthly NIL contributions, let this wave pass and wait to hear some good news. As far as the players themselves, I wouldn't think this would move the needle. Bubba was going to coach this year regardless. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, AJS said:

Completely disappointed, but not surprised. Emotions are high, but it's disappointing to see people dropping their season tickets. Here's what I believe is fact, until Chaves is gone. Wins and losses, do not matter. Dropping season tickets won't matter. The best you can hope for is to ride it out, until he's gone. We're also in this very unique time in collegiate athletics where these programs need as much support as possible. I don't want to see the student-athlete suffer. 

Let's start the monthly NIL contributions, let this wave pass and wait to hear some good news. As far as the players themselves, I wouldn't think this would move the needle. Bubba was going to coach this year regardless. 

This is why I am not dumping my season tickets. But this is still unacceptable and the last straw for me. President Armacost is the only one who can change the tone and expectations around here. I honestly don't care what Chaves has to say about anything anymore.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is why I am not dumping my season tickets. But this is still unacceptable and the last straw for me. President Armacost is the only one who can change the tone and expectations around here. I honestly don't care what Chaves has to say about anything anymore.

Armacost has been an absolute shot in the arm for the athletic department with the momentum on all the capital projects and Alston payments among other things. Given all the support he has given the athletic department and of course the AD reports to him, do you actually think Chaves didn't discuss this with Armacost prior to it being done?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Armacost has been an absolute shot in the arm for the athletic department with the momentum on all the capital projects and Alston payments among other things. Given all the support he has given the athletic department and of course the AD reports to him, do you actually think Chaves didn't discuss this with Armacost prior to it being done?

Facility upgrades are essential and I give him, Chaves and the donors who put up the cash credit for those. But this total lack of expectations and accountability will make those upgrades meaningless. Human nature is what it is. If you have a nice, comfy job where being average to slightly above average is good enough for endless contract extensions, you can expect the same results over and over. Expecting different results is the very definition of insanity.

And I would hope Armacost isn't micromanaging Chaves. Somehow I don't think he got to where he is by doing that. I put both their e-mail addresses earlier in this thread because both of them are responsible for this inane extension. If you want to make your case for the extension, please go right on ahead. But don't complain about my disagreement with it. Make a coherent case that Bubba deserved the extension.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So you think FCS isn't horribly watered down? It is. And pretending it isn't doesn't make it true.

This 100%.  Where Bubba has taken the program and the struggles that we've seen over his tenure at UND......and we are currently a top 20 program in the FCS....  Winning 7 games, getting to the playoffs, then bowing out right away.....top 20....:whistling:

• Upvote 3

Dumping your season tickets or not going to games only hurts the programs.  Less $ will make things worse.

the players need support and you won’t get players without $

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Kab said:

Dumping your season tickets or not going to games only hurts the programs.  Less $ will make things worse.

True, but if enough people speak with their pocket books, then maybe Armacost/Chaves will make the  necessary changes. 
As a fan, I don’t like the direction the programs, other than hockey, are headed. And for the AD to be ok with current state of affairs doesn’t sit well with me.  So I will choose to spend my money elsewhere. I’ve had season football tix for 10+ years. I’ve also attended many others sporting events than football. But apathy has finally set in with me.  Sad to say, but it is what it is. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Probably. Sometimes there’s no other choice. Support mediocrity and that’s what you’ll continue to see. Stop the support and hopefully it will result in change. 

8 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

UND is competitive in the best conference in the FCS. 

We would all like to see more, but that is a pretty good place to be. 

So you are okay with what we are now?

That's fine.

But some of us are not.

Thus the outrage on this thread.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Also hurting REA more than the fb program by 4%.  :)

REA takes 52% of football ticket revenue. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So you are okay with what we are now?

That's fine.

But some of us are not.

Thus the outrage on this thread.

Totally get the outrage.  I want to see better also. I’m just saying it could be a lot worse. 

for example   I live near the University of Northern Colorado   They had a perfect season last year  0-12  

Their baseball team is 0-20 right now 

More perfection  

21 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Totally get the outrage.  I want to see better also. I’m just saying it could be a lot worse. 

for example   I live near the University of Northern Colorado   They had a perfect season last year  0-12  

More perfection 

Tough to win when everyone is baked all the time??

• Upvote 2

I'm grateful for not being 0-12 but if that's the standard around here it's bad news.

I like a 7 win team but please dear God, give me one Playoff W by next year. PLEASE!

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Kab said:

Bubbas coaching is hurting this program! He has done nothing to fix this defense in the offseason. I’m afraid to say this defense could be worse this fall than last year

• Upvote 1

After firing Mussman, yes the initial goal was to be competitive, which Bubba has done that.  But we really have taken very few strides since 2016.  Our playoff games have been for the most part pretty embarrassing. I felt embarrassed during the first half of that Weber State playoff game. Score ended up being a lot closer than the game really was. Got steam rolled by Nicholls.........yes Nicholls State. Embarrassing. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

After firing Mussman, yes the initial goal was to be competitive, which Bubba has done that.  But we really have taken very few strides since 2016.  Our playoff games have been for the most part pretty embarrassing. I felt embarrassed during the first half of that Weber State playoff game. Score ended up being a lot closer than the game really was. Got steam rolled by Nicholls.........yes Nicholls State. Embarrassing. 

If you're recounting bad playoff games, last year's Defensive play has to be considered.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/22/2024 at 7:21 PM, Hayduke1 said:

More perfection  

Football coach was in his 1st season as Head Coach

Baseball coach is in his 2nd season as head coach

Not like either were winning big sky titles before

Bad comparison

On 3/26/2024 at 1:10 PM, GoHawks said:

Football coach was in his 1st season as Head Coach

Baseball coach is in his 2nd season as head coach

Not like either were winning big sky titles before

Bad comparison

Point taken 

hey, baseball team split with Omaha last weekend. 2-22 now!  

On 3/22/2024 at 7:21 PM, Hayduke1 said:

More perfection 

In the 5 fb seasons prior to 2023 UNC won a total of 13 games and never more than 3 in one year.  So yes it could get a lot worse.

If you are on the ledge with the bubba extension feel free to wander over to the hockey playoff thread.. most overfunded  program in college hockey.. still can’t get out of the first round. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

If you are on the ledge with the bubba extension feel free to wander over to the hockey playoff thread.. most overfunded  program in college hockey.. still can’t get out of the first round. 

Yep. Although UND football would sure love to even just be ranked the #1 team in the country at some point during the season. Football team hasn't even sniffed that in two decades.