SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubba Extended

McBuckets

7 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Well, I scanned the article, and so much for negotiation ...

2024: $255k

2025: $265k

2026 (Ext): $275k

2027 (Ext): $285k

*Buyout portion of the contract remains UNCHANGED!

If fired without cause, Bubba receives 100% of the base salary for the first 24 months. 75% of his base salary for months 25-36, and 50% of his base salary for months 37-48.

Bill is pathetic. It must be nice to be able to make the kind of money these guys are making without actually having to show results. Now take my next comment as it is intended ... Bill's only saving grace as AD is that he still has a very successful hockey program to fall back on. That being said, I don't understand that complete lack of awareness around Football. To be honest, I don't think he actually has had to do much for hockey ... that well oiled machine kind of runs itself, but he will be sure to take credit for that. Bubba apart from taking us up a notch after Muss, has really done nothing to warrant the last two extensions.

Maybe if I stop working so hard at my job, I'll get rewarded too! ... but I doubt it :glare:

Are you really trying to say he doesn't work hard?  He is in over his head and don't believe he can take the program to the next level, but to imply he doesn't work are in unfair.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Brucesky02 said:

I don't see what everyone is so upset about. 1) You all seem to be certain that Bubba is going to keep the program afloat and in playoff contention. Can't say the same for a new hire. 2) Bubba is just keeping the seat warm for Danny to come back in a few years with the SDSU book of secrets and take over as HC. He'll hand Danny a solid program that is primed and ready to take from good to great.

Danny could have taken over after the 2025 season, no need to wait until 2027. Or even someone else other than Danny. 

Sure Bubba will get us our 6-7 wins and there is no guarantee what the next coach will do. But I'd rather risk seeing what someone else can do....even if it means the new guy sucks and is canned after 3 years. I'd rather risk it for the chance the new coach could be better and make us a contender. It's been 10 freaking years of mediocrity.....now we have to sit on our hands and watch another 4 years of the same predictable thing......F that. 

Ok the funny part about my comment above is me saying a UND coach would get canned after 3 years. We know that would never happen...unless he went 0-11 for three straight years. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Brucesky02 said:

I don't see what everyone is so upset about. 1) You all seem to be certain that Bubba is going to keep the program afloat and in playoff contention. Can't say the same for a new hire. 2) Bubba is just keeping the seat warm for Danny to come back in a few years with the SDSU book of secrets and take over as HC. He'll hand Danny a solid program that is primed and ready to take from good to great.

That’s more year we fall behind sdsu and ndsu. Already took us 20 to catch up. Now we will be left behind again

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Are you really trying to say he doesn't work hard?  He is in over his head and don't believe he can take the program to the next level, but to imply he doesn't work are in unfair.

I'm guessing he meant it as in his current job he does work hard ....and has good results. But if mediocrity is acceptable and you get promoted.....he should stop working as hard so he only gets average results.....so he could get an extension like Bubba.......and make a million dollars over the next four years. 

I for one thing Bubba does work hard. He is just not the guy to get us to the top of the mountain. 

3 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Danny could have taken over after the 2025 season, no need to wait until 2027. Or even someone else other than Danny. 

Sure Bubba will get us our 6-7 wins and there is no guarantee what the next coach will do. But I'd rather risk seeing what someone else can do....even if it means the new guy sucks and is canned after 3 years. I'd rather risk it for the chance the new coach could be better and make us a contender. It's been 10 freaking years of mediocrity.....now we have to sit on our hands and watch another 4 years of the same predictable thing......F that. 

Ok the funny part about my comment above is me saying a UND coach would get canned after 3 years. We know that would never happen...unless he went 0-11 for three straight years. 

Yep, the SU's will win another 4 titles and we will be fighting for our 7 wins...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Brucesky02 said:

There is nothing "sol-id" about this program right now. Nothing.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

It was also strategic to announce it on the first day of March Madness hoping that it would get lost in the shuffle and less people would see it. Our athletic department is a joke

I mean if it was a true conspiracy theory and they were actually trying to "hide" it, they would have released it tomorrow before the hockey game when the standard UND fan would be locked in to that. 
Or they could have went full blown tinfoil hat, taken the NDSU route and just not announce it like they've done twice now with their MBB coach.

• Downvote 3

24 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Yeah, I would've rather seen a path forward for Danny to stay as well. My comment about him coming back was more in jest/wishful thinking.

As I see it, after Danny left, they had two options - either start from zero, or keep Bubba on and go out to find talent that can come in as an assistant and be ready to take over when Bubba retires. I like keeping Bubba and building internally to improve and succeed him. I'm really curious how so many people seem to think that the answer is just to ditch Bubba and suddenly we are beating the state schools every year and getting tan in Frisco. He's made some head scratching decisions over the past few seasons that have cost us games, there's no doubt about that, but I just don't think replacing him is going to gain us ground faster than building up under him.

• Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Brucesky02 said:

Yeah, I would've rather seen a path forward for Danny to stay as well. My comment about him coming back was more in jest/wishful thinking.

As I see it, after Danny left, they had two options - either start from zero, or keep Bubba on and go out to find talent that can come in as an assistant and be ready to take over when Bubba retires. I like keeping Bubba and building internally to improve and succeed him. I'm really curious how so many people seem to think that the answer is just to ditch Bubba and suddenly we are beating the state schools every year and getting tan in Frisco. He's made some head scratching decisions over the past few seasons that have cost us games, there's no doubt about that, but I just don't think replacing him is going to gain us ground faster than building up under him.

We've been "building up under him" for 10+ years now. How many more years do you think he should get?

• Upvote 4

This is tough, and definitely arguments on both sides.  The program isn't up to many fans' standards, but is an above average FCS program.  Every program's fans want to win championships and perennially make deep runs in playoffs.   That unfortunately has not happened under Bubba, but it also hasn't happened for 95% of the FCS teams.  If the standard imposed by the fan base was imposed by ADs the coaching turnover would be silly.

That said, it seems like a reasonable time to move on.  I hope the actual payoff was structured to have doing so be a viable option after next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Bubba had two more years left on his contract already, we weren't ditching him. 

Bubba has hit his ceiling, I'd rather risk it on a guy with a lower floor but higher ceiling.  Since 2016 UND football has not progressed at all really.  While the new coach may not consistently beat the SU's.....we already know Bubba can't. It's nice to have hope, now we already know what we are going to be getting  the next 4 years. Mediocre football, with one regular season win at home against a slightly better than average team. But zero big wins. NDSU win last was the exception to the rule last year. Likely a 20 point NDSU win this fall. 

If you're offering odds on that spread, I'll take UND to cover +20 against NDSU this fall or any time.

Unfortunately the only thing that will force Chaves to make a change is at least 2 seasons of missing the playoffs.  Would likely have to be seasons with losing records and blowout loses.  Tough spot for a fanbase looking for change.  Seems like only hope is for this program to hit rock bottom before any significant change to happen.

3 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Maybe bubba will prove us wrong with the new coaches he hired

maybe Danny was hindering his ability to coach

And how could  Danny or hindering his ability to coach? The HC is the top dog. How could an underling hinder him?

23 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

This is tough, and definitely arguments on both sides.  The program isn't up to many fans' standards, but is an above average FCS program.  Every program's fans want to win championships and perennially make deep runs in playoffs.   That unfortunately has not happened under Bubba, but it also hasn't happened for 95% of the FCS teams.  If the standard imposed by the fan base was imposed by ADs the coaching turnover would be silly.

That said, it seems like a reasonable time to move on.  I hope the actual payoff was structured to have doing so be a viable option after next year.

So we went through the time and expense of moving up from Division 2 to Division 1 to have an "above average FCS program" in a division that is heavily watered down with really weak programs? You basically just said "Nattys don't matter". I don't tolerate that B.S. in the hockey threads and I don't tolerate it here, either. The FB boosters pushed hard for this Division I move 15 years ago. I don't think they did it to be "an above average FCS program". This entire athletic department is being run like a high school and I am sick and tired of it. Anyone who thinks this is how it should be done, please make your case.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Unfortunately the only thing that will force Chaves to make a change is at least 2 seasons of missing the playoffs.  Would likely have to be seasons with losing records and blowout loses.  Tough spot for a fanbase looking for change.  Seems like only hope is for this program to hit rock bottom before any significant change to happen.

That will not force Chaves to make a change. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

So we went through the time and expense of moving up from Division 2 to Division 1 to have an "above average FCS program" in a division that is heavily watered down with really weak programs? You basically just said "Nattys don't matter". I don't tolerate that B.S. in the hockey threads and I don't tolerate it here, either. The FB boosters pushed hard for this Division I move 15 years ago. I don't think they did it to be "an above average FCS program". This entire athletic department is being run like a high school and I am sick and tired of it. Anyone who thinks this is how it should be done, please make your case.

There are 128 FCS teams.  I'd love to be winning national championships, but that's not reasonable to expect or demand and is completely divorced from reality.  If that is the standard all ADs took there would be a 95% coaching turnover every year.  

UND is around the 80-90th percentile of FCS teams  In most endeavors that would be deemed very good.  If the posters here lived up to the standards they impose on their favorite college sports teams the athletic department would be so flooded with money we'd never lose a recruiting battle or game.

As I said, I believe last year was a natural time to move on and I'd like to have more information on the feasibility of a buyout after last year (were funds available) as well as going forward.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This entire athletic department is being run like a high school and I am sick and tired of it.

Regardless of opinions, continuing to repeat this strange take, in whatever context it actually is supposed to mean, doesn't make it true.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Big Green said:

Always someone to pick apart a comment.... Mrs. Schweigert I presume? Maybe I should have used the term underperform?!?

I'm sure Bubba "works hard" to a point, but for a guy that supposedly know defense, it has been lacking big time, and he doesn't seem to be concerned with making any sort of changes to improve it. Undersized and underskilled year after year after year.

Regardless of the "working hard" piece, the point of the comment was that he has been making nice money, will continue to make nice money, and we are going to be stuck without much of a buyout option even if the guy completely tanks over the next couple years.

Bubba's body of work speaks for itself, but this contract is a reflection of Chaves lack of awareness.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1