SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubba Extended

McBuckets

39 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

If you are on the ledge with the bubba extension feel free to wander over to the hockey playoff thread.. most overfunded  program in college hockey.. still can’t get out of the first round. 

Who knew we should be happy with what Bubba has done! Good enough for hockey so good enough for football!

14 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Yep. Although UND football would sure love to even just be ranked the #1 team in the country at some point during the season. Football team hasn't even sniffed that in two decades. 

Being ranked #1 doesn’t mean squat when you are nowhere near #1 at the end of the season!

10 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Who knew we should be happy with what Bubba has done! Good enough for hockey so good enough for football!

Agreed… I was really intending this to be more of a comment about UND athletics.. even when we have the best funded team in the country we still can’t get a playoff win. I think the football team has as many playoff wins as the hockey team since 2016.. would be nice to expect more of both programs.

52 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Being ranked #1 doesn’t mean squat when you are nowhere near #1 at the end of the season!

Oh I totally get it....that's why I said I agree with what he said, how you finish the season is the only thing that really matters. But can you honestly even fathom the thought of UND football bring ranked #1 at any point during the season. I can't. 

36 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Oh I totally get it....that's why I said I agree with what he said, how you finish the season is the only thing that really matters. But can you honestly even fathom the thought of UND football bring ranked #1 at any point during the season. I can't. 

Not with bubba in charge of the defense!

10 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Yep. Although UND football would sure love to even just be ranked the #1 team in the country at some point during the season. Football team hasn't even sniffed that in two decades. 

Honest question - if the football team had the resources the hockey team had - would it make a difference (I think we could assume if they had those resources the staff would be upgraded). 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Honest question - if the football team had the resources the hockey team had - would it make a difference (I think we could assume if they had those resources the staff would be upgraded). 

There is clearly a limit to where incremental funding provides value.. the hockey team is significantly overfunded and clearly underperforms the level of funding… the football and basketball teams are in the underfunded categories where I think additional funding would provide significant benefit..  comparisons with NDSU and SDSU are valuable.  None of this is intended as an argument to have extended bubba.. but one can at least argue that he gets decent results with mediocre funding.  After 2016 I believe the hockey and football teams have the same number of playoff wins..  

by the way I want all und athletic programs to be successful and hope eventually the hockey team can perform to the level of funding they are given. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Yes it would make a difference IMO. But all of the resources in the world wouldn't have prevented the dumb fake punt against NDSU or poor two point conversion choices. Or the ability to get your team up for games. We crushed NDSU at home, so we just have some talent....but we were flat the rest of the year. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

Today's GF Herald poll is "Are you in support of a Bubba Schweigert extension?"

https://www.grandforksherald.com/

I voted (won't say which way), and of the 1343 responses, 57% are in favor and 43% are not.

How many are actually sports fans, and how many are people that don't give a rip about sports and think it would be wrong to get rid of someone especially in something as unimportant as sports. 

1 hour ago, tnt said:

How many are actually sports fans, and how many are people that don't give a rip about sports and think it would be wrong to get rid of someone especially in something as unimportant as sports.  

It's obviously not showing the results you want, but It's also obvious that it is not a valid poll, it just shows a snapshot of people reading at the time with motivation to click a button. It will provide a little fodder for a future article I'm sure. 

I’m not a big supporter of the extension but it is what it is so I’m just hoping for a good season and a good recruiting year.

with what the ncaa has done with transfer and nil the rich will get richer and the others will struggle year to year and hope for some good transfers

not much fans can do about it but complain 

• Upvote 1

It maybe unscientific but with that many responding basically from the region it does show there is majority of people that support and appreciate what Bubba has done for UND football.  I think majority understand that UND rebuild is long term because of funding support and for us to gain reputation of being top FCS program to gain in recruiting battles to come to get top talent to compete.

This has been shown by alumni and fans in recent and current facilities improvements to help in this goal of getting more top recruits. The next step is funding program that players are equal in support and enmities that other programs they’re competing against. I think people trust Bubba on these things because he is invested In North Dakota and not for his own personal gain to just move on with short term success but build legacy here at North Dakota. I know many here don’t understand this but this is how many things have been built here in North Dakota. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

It maybe unscientific but with that many responding basically from the region it does show there is majority of people that support and appreciate what Bubba has done for UND football.  I think majority understand that UND rebuild is long term because of funding support and for us to gain reputation of being top FCS program to gain in recruiting battles to come to get top talent to compete.

This has been shown by alumni and fans in recent and current facilities improvements to help in this goal of getting more top recruits. The next step is funding program that players are equal in support and enmities that other programs they’re competing against. I think people trust Bubba on these things because he is invested In North Dakota and not for his own personal gain to just move on with short term success but build legacy here at North Dakota. I know many here don’t understand this but this is how many things have been built here in North Dakota. 

This is Bubba's 11th season here (after a 22-21 career at Duluth.  When you say "long term" you must mean many decades.  We know exactly what Bubba can and will do - if the majority of people are happy with where we are at that is a problem.  And as for people "from the region" it used to be pretty well split between Sioux and Bison fans - now not so much.  There is no demand for excellence from our administration and now perhaps many fans.  This is sad.  Me might as well get used to being a slightly over .500 team because that is what we will get with Bubba - and sadly next year .500 seems a reach.  Our rivals would never put up with this - why should we?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

Define long term.....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Long term in my eyes have changed because we have several major changes in Bubba tenure he took over the program when it was pretty low as it had been going back to the time of Pat Behrns tenure as head coach at UND. I look after that it took nearly 10 years to become power in Division II and after that another 5 years to win national championship.  But Bubba turned program around to where they won Big Sky championship but then we had where whole athletic department had to be reorganized and there were cuts to programs not good time for UND athletics. Then UND switched conferences but football played conference schedule but not part of the conference. Then they played independent schedule for a year not good for team trying to recruit and retain players where there is no media presence for the program. Not lot of the coaches would have stayed under those circumstances especially two years.

Then we come to entering the Missouri Valley Conference the toughest conference in FCS Football after two year period a team without conference home. Then add in Covid opening season in Missouri Valley and extra covid years for eligibility we have at least 3 to 4 lost seasons to build a program. Then look where we are at we have team that is top 10 to 15 in FCS football with chance to continue to move up to be one of the elite teams in FCS football. The problem is our two closest rivals have had more success and have won multiple championships we haven't and people are impatient they wanted it now. People forget it takes time and UND is finally putting together commitment in facilities and funding now to make that next jump and with that finding the talent to put on the field to win national championship. This is not to mention of era NIL, transfer portal, and getting funding to build a program. Take a look around how many of teams in FCS football that were good teams have gone way backwards that were powers in this division of football.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

But I want an Oompa Loompa now Daddy!  :sneaky:

Due to their shape, size, weight and girth an Oopma Loompa's life expectancy is only 8.5 years. Try again.

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

Long term in my eyes have changed because we have several major changes in Bubba tenure he took over the program when it was pretty low as it had been going back to the time of Pat Behrns tenure as head coach at UND. I look after that it took nearly 10 years to become power in Division II and after that another 5 years to win national championship.  But Bubba turned program around to where they won Big Sky championship but then we had where whole athletic department had to be reorganized and there were cuts to programs not good time for UND athletics. Then UND switched conferences but football played conference schedule but not part of the conference. Then they played independent schedule for a year not good for team trying to recruit and retain players where there is no media presence for the program. Not lot of the coaches would have stayed under those circumstances especially two years.

Then we come to entering the Missouri Valley Conference the toughest conference in FCS Football after two year period a team without conference home. Then add in Covid opening season in Missouri Valley and extra covid years for eligibility we have at least 3 to 4 lost seasons to build a program. Then look where we are at we have team that is top 10 to 15 in FCS football with chance to continue to move up to be one of the elite teams in FCS football. The problem is our two closest rivals have had more success and have won multiple championships we haven't and people are impatient they wanted it now. People forget it takes time and UND is finally putting together commitment in facilities and funding now to make that next jump and with that finding the talent to put on the field to win national championship. This is not to mention of era NIL, transfer portal, and getting funding to build a program. Take a look around how many of teams in FCS football that were good teams have gone way backwards that were powers in this division of football.

Most of us do understand that things do take some time, but they don't always have to take an eternity. Weber State was the doormat of the Big Sky when Jay Hill took over. In his 4th season he won the Big Sky, well tied for 1st, and made the quarterfinals that year. They won or tied for Big Sky the next three years after that and made it to the semi finals in his 6th year. His first year when he took over a crap team they were not very good but Weber came into the Alerus and beat us. 

That and the continued horrible road record and so often not showing up in big games or playoff games, and not being able to decide when to go for 2 or not are basic, but still having blunders after 10 years........is the reason why many are not happy about an extension. 

Screenshot_20240403-160354.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2