SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ South Dakota 11/11/2023

SiouxFan100

5 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Any insight on why UND has so much trouble getting guys with legit size on the D line? Seems like this conversation has been going on forever.

Are we not targeting the right guys, or not able to add enough weight to some of them? What would you say should be a target size for those guys? 275 DE and 300-310 Nose? I really have not clue what is ideal. Obviously height and frame is a factor too.

Those are pretty ideal in my opinion. In the majority of 3 - 4 defenses your d - line takes up all the blocks so your linebackers can get downhill.  (Not saying you don't have that in a 4 - 3, but it is even more important in a 3 - 4.) Right now our DE's are the size of 4 - 3 ends.

6 minutes ago, Kab said:

I don’t feel much excitement on this board for the game

Kelly on 360 predicts SD will win

Its not a bad prediction. UND struggles in Vermillion. USD has looked really good this year. UND defense has looked really shaky. Its just a prediction.

What team shows up in Vermillion? or I should say "What Defense?" Offense has been awesome recently. Hoping Tommy and company can keep it going and really hoping having Z back will help out and allow us to control the clock as well. 

This isn't SDSU and is far from a guaranteed loss. Hoping for a win obviously, but will be extremely disappointed if we see a lethargic unmotivated team out there. This team has everything to play for so if Bubba can't get them motivated there is a major red flag.

Hoping that is not the case. Would be great to see the defense we saw against NDSU, and the offense we have seen lately.

I was there for the USD blow out in 2017 I'll be there this year. If it's the same layout they have a nice mowed field for day-of tailgating and there was a good number of UND fans. The odds are against us, but that is why they play the game. 

Games and team matchups are not all comparable. Way to many factors in a game, but lets look at the below numbers.

UND's defense has struggled recently and given up way to many points to Murray and Indiana St. #10 and #12 in Offense (Yikes). Though they certainly played well against NDSU, and held on for a while against UNI (could have used some help from the offense in that one). Actually the defense looked fine for the first half of both the Murray and the ISU game (Need to put together a full game).

Our offense hasn't had to face many top defenses yet, so the next two weeks will shed some light on how we can perform in the playoffs. Obviously we rocked the Bison and put 21 on the bunnies. I have a hard time believe UNI is a middle of the pack defense, but that game seems to be a bit of an anomaly. Did we play that bad? Did they play that well? Was there a hangover from the NDSU win? Can we just not play on the road? A bit of everything?

Huge factor for me this week will be playcalling. Kelly alluded to some of the defense play calls against Murray (ahem 4th and 25). And as much as I like Danny, he has had some very questionable calls against good opponents and in key situations as well.

I have no clue what to expect this week. Do we get a shock and keep the offense churning with a big win? Do we get blown out? Is it a tight low scoring game? Is it a barn burner? No idea, but looking forward to watching!

image.thumb.png.4dc8e656c3d63ff2bf077e417dcab2e5.png

On 11/8/2023 at 2:31 PM, geaux_sioux said:

In checking out their roster they look the way I wish we’d look in the trenches. They’re bigger than us on both lines and by a lot on the DL.

I just reviewed our depth chart for this game.  We rotate the front 7 on defense and use 3 TEs. I did compare with the SDak state depth chart and we are similar to the top FCS team size wise. I couldn’t easily find the USD depth chart but here is ours:

TE: 255 250 245.  T: 305 305. G: 300 320. C: 315.  DE: 260 270 250 245. NG: 315 290. OLB: 220 220 225 225. ILB: 230 230 235 235  

I don’t think our size is the issue it had been.  We are big enough.  Bigger can be better if quickness and speed also improve.  Defensively, I believe our biggest problems are we don’t tackle well, we overrun plays that take us out of position and we lose outside contain or have poor angles on the ball carrier or QB in the pocket or scrambling. Too often we don’t wrap up on the ball carrier.  Offensively we have been decent except for UNI game but Oline has to have their best game against a good defense.  

UND 24-20.  

• Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Defensively, I believe our biggest problems are we don’t tackle well, we overrun plays that take us out of position and we lose outside contain or have poor angles on the ball carrier or QB in the pocket or scrambling. Too often we don’t wrap up on the ball carrier.

This has been an area of my curiosity for several seasons. I can’t imagine our coaches don’t know how to teach these things, so are the players just not athletic enough, not smart enough, or what’s the deal? 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

This has been an area of my curiosity for several seasons. I can’t imagine our coaches don’t know how to teach these things, so are the players just not athletic enough, not smart enough, or what’s the deal? 

My guestimate (and no it does not involve riding by on a bicycle):

Our D practices against our O.
It learns edges and angles and contains.
But if we encounter a faster team those edges and angles and contains are off. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I for one, actually am concerned about our offense. After scoreless at UNI we barely scored in the first half against ISU.....at home. Murray is just bad on defense so last week's offense means nothing. USD is typically big and physical....and I'm guessing well coached. We can probably get some yards on the ground but I doubt we will be able to run it down there throats all day, which means more 2 yard passes....which USD will be ready for. I'm afraid of it being one of those types of games we've had in the past against good teams where we struggle because we can't run at will and we don't seem to be able to stretch the field and they will lock down on everyone 10 yards and in.....from line of scrimmage. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

The coaches teach them when to break down, to wrap up when they tackle, and finish. Just like offensive linemen are taught to keep their feet moving and finish their blocks. It’s basic fundamental FB. I’m not sure why we are still struggling. My earlier point was that although Geaux-Sioux makes valid points, I’m not convinced our size is the problem. I just reviewed the Bison depth chart for tomorrow. We are actually as big or bigger. 
At some point the players need to go out and do their job. If you can’t block and tackle it doesn’t matter what offense or defense you run or what plays are called, you will struggle. 
I believe we are capable of winning this game.  All 11 guys can beat their opponent on a given play. They need to dig deep and make that happen each play and trust their teammates to do the same. 

• Upvote 1