SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ South Dakota 11/11/2023

SiouxFan100

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Big games on the road usually mean you know what with Bubba and co. leading the charge …

… but, but, but … big road games are “hard”

I thought we had 0 but I just remembered that we do have a road win against a playoff team. 2015 we beat Portland St who got seeded. So it’s been 8 years. Time to get a second road win against a playoff team.

Either way, show me what you got. No excuses. What are we made of? Still waiting to see the killer instinct from this group. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

I've seen enough from the past that this game won't end well for UND. Travis Theis has another big game for them and Bouman does enough to keep the chains moving.

USD 38 - UND 24

I hope they prove me wrong!!

I'm with you (as much as I don't want to be)...at what point do you tell the offense "we're gonna call this one like we need to score 50 to win...so go get us 50!"???

Feels to me like our best hope is for our offense to be flawless and maybe we force a turnover or two to slow them down a bit.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

I don’t feel great about this game, hope it’s not a repeat of 2017. 

I was at that game as well as the debacle in Flagstaff in 2018. I never feel great about important road games played by this program. 

We shut down Boise's RB, we limited NDSU"s offense......we tackled well in those games. The defense has to play like their hair is on fire! We have the talent to do this, we just need to freaking go out and do it!! Our team needs to channel the energy from their crowd to help get them pumped up. We do need to make this our SB, this is a big game. If this team can't get up for this game might as well not even make the playoffs. I mean if we show up and play tough and get beat, it will suck.....but if we just get boat raced...hell might as well not even make the playoffs.  Ok not saying I wouldn't still want to make the playoffs, but if this is another UNI game...what's the point. 

Is Lennon available for another talk this week? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

We shut down Boise's RB, we limited NDSU"s offense......we tackled well in those games. The defense has to play like their hair is on fire! We have the talent to do this, we just need to freaking go out and do it!! Our team needs to channel the energy from their crowd to help get them pumped up. We do need to make this our SB, this is a big game. If this team can't get up for this game might as well not even make the playoffs. I mean if we show up and play tough and get beat, it will suck.....but if we just get boat raced...hell might as well not even make the playoffs.  Ok not saying I wouldn't still want to make the playoffs, but if this is another UNI game...what's the point. 

Is Lennon available for another talk this week? 

When the talent on the team is not the issue, but rather whether or not the talent will show up and do their job, then that’s entirely on coaching.

Coaches (are supposed to) mentally prepare the team and put them in position to succeed. That’s their job and it’s incredibly important in the game of football. The travesty @UNI was blatant malpractice. 

These student-athletes aren’t mentally prepared like they should be (or could be) on a consistent basis. They cower in big games in hostile environments. Not saying USD in the old DakotaDome is hostile, but certainly not friendly. 

I agree- need Lennon to be available weekly (or someone else capable) so things get done around here. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

When the talent on the team is not the issue, but rather whether or not the talent will show up and do their job, then that’s entirely on coaching.

Coaches (are supposed to) mentally prepare the team and put them in position to succeed. That’s their job and it’s incredibly important in the game of football. The travesty @UNI was blatant malpractice. 

These student-athletes aren’t mentally prepared like they should be (or could be) on a consistent basis. They cower in big games in hostile environments. Not saying USD in the old DakotaDome is hostile, but certainly not friendly. 

I agree- need Lennon to be available weekly (or someone else capable) so things get done around here. 

I'm with a lot of this. For me, the #1 issue I see on this team is mental. How much of that is the Coaches vs Captains / Leaders vs Individuals is up for debate. I've heard it about other teams in the past, but never UND. They do seem a bit like frontrunners. Narratives can change, if there's adversity, which there's no doubt there will be on Saturday, going to need someone to step and make a play (see narrative before the NDSU game, which they absolutely did). 

What an opportunity. Would be so fun to see this team throw it back in the face of all their critics. 

• Upvote 2