SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota @ UND Saturday GameDay Thread

fightingsioux4life

1 hour ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

It’s really about structure. Friday, Minnesota played very sound team defense, and got into UNDs head. 

Saturday, UND was better with their forecheck, and Minnesota got into penalty trouble. Close kept the Goofs in the game during the second period, and that allowed them to get back into the game in the third. 

UND will need to start capitalizing on the scoring chances, because turnovers and odd man rushes will be plentiful against them. Team defense should improve, but you have to bury your chances against good teams like Minnesota.

If the defense can stay healthy, this team could be close to unbeatable by the end of the year.

Personally, I don't think any team is going to be close to unbeatable this year.  I think this may be the most wide open NCAA tournament in years, and that is saying something.  

• Upvote 1

On 10/22/2023 at 1:17 PM, Godsmack said:

Someone on GPL is saying both the NCHC director of officials as well as two of the on ice officials are UND alums (insinuating home cooking). Can anyone verify the validity of that claim?

An official’s response pasted from GPL

In the old WCHA, if you excluded officials who were alumni of WCHA programs... you wouldn't have very many guys left on the ice.  In fact 7-8 former WCHA players went on to officiate WCHA games.

Matt Tyree played at Mankato and is still regularly a linesman for their games.  Jacob Brenk played at Mankato, then worked one season in the WCHA (before taking route to NHL).  Justin Brown played at Michigan Tech, officiated some of their games.  Brandon Polich played at CC, officiated some of their games.  And that is just a small number of the guys in the recent past.  Marco Hunt (former WCHA, NCHC, and B1G official), director of officiating for CCHA, played at Bemidji State.

Type in officials names into LinkedIn and you'll see that almost all of the graduated from a school with a hockey program, and will often work their games.  A lot of the guys officiate college hockey because they love college hockey, and often went to schools with hockey programs because they loved college hockey.

Officiating Division I hockey does not pay enough to have people travel regularly (linesman almost never fly in most leagues, I believe the B1G is an exception).  You start excluding those guys, you're going to end up lowering your pool of officials even more than it already is.

Being a Minnesota alumni myself, I was thrilled when I finally got my first series at Mariucci.  Being able to work a Bulldog/Gopher series was awesome having attended both schools.  However I loved having the opportunity to officiate at the D1 level more than I loved Gopher Hockey (sorry to disappoint).  And ultimately, once you go on the ice you realize you have a job to do and turn off your inner hockey fan.  If an official is actually biased, the coaches (who give feedback every game) are going to get them out of there quickly.

I didn't watch the games and am not going to comment on any calls/non-calls.  But just be careful what you wish for if you want to start excluding officials who attended prominent hockey schools.  I believe NCAA Rules prohibit you from officiating any NCAA Tournament games for a school that you attended, worked for, donated to, have relatives that work for, etc.  But I am not aware of any rules like that for regular season contents.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Was in Gino’s golf 1 class with his player Tom Goddert who went on to officiate in the WCHA. An easy peasy necessary credit for us both from a former ‘71 ND high school girls champ, humble brag. Gino laughed at Tom & me cuz he had to send us off the tee 1st so we wouldn’t get held up by novices.

This is my assessment of UND and Minnesota after Saturday's game:

"You play baseball coach for a moment. Two players run to first. They both have the same time, but one has perfect form, the other, lousy form."

UND is the player with lousy form. Minnesota is the player with perfect form.

Which one do you pick?

The one with lousy form. (UND)

Why?

‘Cause teach him the right form...and he beats the other guy.

Check back in April to see if I am right.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, thUNDer said:

Was in Gino’s golf 1 class with his player Tom Goddert who went on to officiate in the WCHA. An easy peasy necessary credit for us both from a former ‘71 ND high school girls champ, humble brag. Gino laughed at Tom & me cuz he had to send us off the tee 1st so we wouldn’t get held up by novices.

As bad or worse has been done.
"Intro to Skating" class. 
No further comment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

As bad or worse has been done.
"Intro to Skating" class. 
No further comment. 

Ha. Golf class was great.

Me and a good friend were in the class. I want to say class was at 11.

Hitting range balls and many days Stiles and Kerr would come rolling up in their carts. "You guys have class this afternoon.....or class you need to be at this afternoon? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, farce poobah said:

This year is as close to maximum parity as I've seen.

So far, only CC has gone 4 games with a perfect 1.000 Pairwise win percentage (no overtime games, all regulation wins).  

3 teams have 2 games at 1.000: Omaha, Maine and Northeastern.   

Everyone else has blemishes on their record (except the Ivies who haven't started yet).

======================

Very promising NCHC out of conference record so far at 23-7-3; a higher winning pct than Big Ten and Hockey East.  

The other nice thing about the OOC results thus far is that the NCHC losses have largely been the doing of SCSU alone.  However, a lot of OOC games yet to be played, including some important series these next few weeks (UMD-Cornell, UND-Mankato, UNO-OSU, UMD-MN, Mich-SCSU and UND-BU).

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I took Baseball and Hockey. Baseball was up playing wiffle ball each session. Hockey, we just messed around. My wife took advanced walking :lol:

1 credit classes haha.

Yeah, they were responsible for delaying graduation 4 years. Had to enter the scholastic portal back then to keep watching the Sioux

Back to the officials thing, sorry I digressed, but got to know a couple other officials who were alum from other U’s, they & Goddert were pros & so did not want to be considered ‘homer refs’. Most just complain as do I but it’s just that we hear it from all our goofy family, friends, & fans used as an excuse why they were losing or lost. There’s a difference is all I meant.

19 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I did not take skating  class. had a couple buddies who did with Cary Eades.

They got a  girl to ask him a question. "Mr. Eades is it true that you started a lot of fights when you played here?"

Cary says, "that is not true, I did not start fights but I did finish a few"

Hahaha, Eades went on to coach at Warroad. Our son’s team played them & got beat up badly & a ref finally called a penalty so I yelled “It all starts behind the bench” and their whole staff turned to give the death stare & at intermission the ref offered me his whistle. I’m still a terrible hockey parent in the stands as likely witnessed this weekend. Ahhh the nostalgia 

1 hour ago, thUNDer said:

Back to the officials thing, sorry I digressed, but got to know a couple other officials who were alum from other U’s, they & Goddert were pros & so did not want to be considered ‘homer refs’. Most just complain as do I but it’s just that we hear it from all our goofy family, friends, & fans used as an excuse why they were losing or lost. There’s a difference is all I meant.

I think it was Goddard.

Going back a bit, none other than Dean Blais was my PE teacher at Minot High.  Because it was lunch hour and the gym was therefore unavailable, we usually spent the hour playing bloodball in the wrestling gym.  Good times.