SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota @ UND Saturday GameDay Thread

fightingsioux4life

13 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Just leaving the area. Great game and effort tonight.

Two things I didn't like.

What is with the stick salute after a split? Don't like it.

Was there some issue with Motzko or their coaching staff that made our players not shake hands with them? Bad look 

Can anyone else verify that the players DID NOT shake hands with Motzko and his staff?

Good to see the team up their compete tonight...Gaber was way better tonight, thought he really played his game although he was getting a lot of attention from the Gofer D.  Blake continues to impress, he just finds a way to get around guys and to the net.  Gofer goalie was hot, stopped how many point blank chances?  BTW, our goalie is pretty damn good as well.

Gonna be fun to see this team after they get a few more games under their belt and get the power play ramped up.  And yes, stick salute is only for home sweeps.  C'mon! :)

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, bcblues said:

Even back in the original barn, when I went with my parents as a young kid, people were passing thermoses with various "fortified beverages" in them. And people brought blankets because it was so damn cold in there, so cold that it actually got foggy at times.

I got caught trying to make a mixer in the stall at the old Ralph.  Security figured it out after my 3rd. or so visit to the bathroom.  :D  Thankfully I was at least 21 at the time.  They just kicked me out for the night. 

53 minutes ago, bcblues said:

Even back in the original barn, when I went with my parents as a young kid, people were passing thermoses with various "fortified beverages" in them. And people brought blankets because it was so damn cold in there, so cold that it actually got foggy at times.

I just missed seeing a game by a few months.  I enrolled at UND during summer session 1972.  Would have loved to see a game in the old barn.  I hear it was a fun and very cold adventure.

2 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

I saw him take a puck off the body but I thought he was back out there later.

He came back, but didn’t notice him playing down the stretch. I was surprised Benoit was playing down the stretch, and then was looking for Zmolek.  Benoit certainly didn’t look out of place.  Nice we could get it done without Pehrson and Zmolek and a non-existent power play.

15 minutes ago, tnt said:

He came back, but didn’t notice him playing down the stretch. I was surprised Benoit was playing down the stretch, and then was looking for Zmolek.  Benoit certainly didn’t look out of place.  Nice we could get it done without Pehrson and Zmolek and a non-existent power play.

Zmolek blocked a puck and went down the tunnel and didn’t come back. 

2 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Can anyone else verify that the players DID NOT shake hands with Motzko and his staff?

I noticed too that our guys didn't shake the hands of the Minny coaches, but shook hands with the linesman after finishing the player line.  Not all of Minny's coaches were there either though, at least not from my vantage point.

Also, didn't like the stick salute on a split.  Was surprised by it actually and commented that I figured it would be a topic of discussion after.

Edited by RedFrog
Stick salute comment

They said it was a salute to the fans, and the way our fans yo yo, I’m not so sure our fans are worthy.  It kind of gets me that the stick salute has become some sacred thing when it was copied from none other than Minnesota.  I think they have done salutes without sweeps in the past as well. Maybe we should create our own thing and have the players ride a broom down the ice, then doing it without a sweep would really look egregious.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, tnt said:

They said it was a salute to the fans, and the way our fans yo yo, I’m not so sure our fans are worthy.  It kind of gets me that the stick salute has become some sacred thing when it was copied from none other than Minnesota.  I think they have done salutes without sweeps in the past as well. Maybe we should create our own thing and have the players ride a broom down the ice, then doing it without a sweep would really look egregious.

I don't know if you are talking about the goofer players doing that several years ago. Through These Doors may not have been around yet - it might still have been Brad Miller doing his thing. minnie was trying to do some kind of video and they had three players riding stick ponies while talking to the camera. Gotta be the most embarrassing thing ever. Hilarious! Hey, @redfrog can you find it?