SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota @ UND Saturday GameDay Thread

fightingsioux4life

8 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

And the real story is??

Hrkac came in as a highly touted freshman, having scored 106 points in 42 games in junior. (Orillia Travelways is a great trivia question btw.)

His first year at UND, he was a young 18.  The game was faster and stronger, and his 54 points in 36 games as a freshman was a bit of disappointment.  Rumor was that Gino suggested the Canadian National Team for a year, to get stronger and faster.  

He returned a year later and was definitely stronger and faster.  He was ready for the rugged WCHA of the 1980's, and went right from UND into the NHL.  Credit to the young man for taking critical advice and changing for the better. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Hrkac came in as a highly touted freshman, having scored 106 points in 42 games in junior. (Orillia Travelways is a great trivia question btw.)

His first year at UND, he was a young 18.  The game was faster and stronger, and his 54 points in 36 games as a freshman was a bit of disappointment.  Rumor was that Gino suggested the Canadian National Team for a year, to get stronger and faster.  

He returned a year later and was definitely stronger and faster.  He was ready for the rugged WCHA of the 1980's, and went right from UND into the NHL.  Credit to the young man for taking critical advice and changing for the better. 

Didn't he get suspended or disciplined for something though, and that is the part of the story that was speculative.  I remember Virg Foss speculating jokingly that he took the Zamboni on to University Avenue.  Don't recall much beyond that. 

36 minutes ago, tnt said:

Didn't he get suspended or disciplined for something though, and that is the part of the story that was speculative.  I remember Virg Foss speculating jokingly that he took the Zamboni on to University Avenue.  Don't recall much beyond that. 

This…apparently he was having a little too much fun.  It sure worked though…there was nobody in college hockey that had his skill set.  He was simply unbelievable.

11 hours ago, tnt said:

Guess I would buy tickets to watch my favorite team win.  You must have a lot of faith in the gophers to get there again.  

Honestly, I hope MN is sitting in the stands watching, but with the talent that they have should take them into the tournament. If they do end up playing in the Frozen 4, I hope they choke and lose with 0.04 seconds left. The team I will be cheering for will be playing for their nineth championship. :D

19 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

As bad or worse has been done.
"Intro to Skating" class. 
No further comment. 

I took Intro to Skating from Hakstol back in spring 2003.  I think he "taught" for about 5 minutes per class, then went into his office to do work while everybody skated in circles.  Pretty sure he was more focused on getting the team ready for the playoffs than teaching.  Don't blame him.

USCHO TMQ this AM:

I don’t even know where to begin, but I suppose it’s worth going back to the most famous – or infamous – rivalry in college hockey (arguably). Minnesota and North Dakota did NOT disappoint, and as I look at you, Jim, I think you called it. These teams put together two games worth rewatching if you missed them.

I know, I know, time to move on to the purple cows. Going to games in Mankato a favorite of ours. Can’t be in GF but Go Sioux 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, burd said:

I can watch highlights on NCHCtv, but do they offer whole-game video?

Some games get archived and others don't. Not sure how they determine which full games get archived, sometimes it just seems to be a fluke if the whole game isn't there. They even used to have condensed versions of games but I don't think that's available anymore. 

20 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Some games get archived and others don't. Not sure how they determine which full games get archived, sometimes it just seems to be a fluke if the whole game isn't there. They even used to have condensed versions of games but I don't think that's available anymore. 

All full games are supposed to be archived. If it’s not that’s an issue to address with the NCHC because we are supposed to. The issue to me is the app is so bad it’s extremely difficult to find it sometimes. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, burd said:

I can watch highlights on NCHCtv, but do they offer whole-game video?

Go to the schedule tab and you should be able to go back to the date of the games.  I have watched Saturdays game Monday because I was at an event I could not watch it live.  In the schedule tab, they have the highlights and archived game.  They sometimes have a condensed version of the game, but have not seen it yet this year.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

All full games are supposed to be archived. If it’s not that’s an issue to address with the NCHC because we are supposed to. The issue to me is the app is so bad it’s extremely difficult to find it sometimes. 

Must be a hockey thing. AHL and NHL have both turned their apps into almost complete garbage.

• Upvote 1

Just now, brianvf said:

No, they've had that for quite a few years.  You just have to dig to find it...they make you work for it.  ;) 

Dang it! Here I just stumbled upon it by accident a week or two ago and I was thinking, “Oh wow, a new feature!” -I’m proof that even a blind squirrel catches a nut once in a while.

4 hours ago, KSSioux said:

Go to the schedule tab and you should be able to go back to the date of the games.  I have watched Saturdays game Monday because I was at an event I could not watch it live.  In the schedule tab, they have the highlights and archived game.  They sometimes have a condensed version of the game, but have not seen it yet this year.

Thanks, KSSioux.   Got to watch the Sat game.  

Good guys won again.   

• Like 2

On 10/22/2023 at 8:16 AM, Godsmack said:

To your fourth point about defensive commitment and sticks in lanes, was that Schmaltz who got a critical poke check on a Gopher player in the dying seconds of last night’s game that prevented them from getting a grade A shot off? Whoever it was, it was a huge defensive play! 

I was happy with this new D-Corps.  They were out there working together and becoming an elite group that should pay dividends at the end of year.

• Upvote 3