SiouxSports.com Forum

The UND @ South Dakota State 9/30/2023

SiouxFan100

11 hours ago, jdub27 said:

So roughly the same record as roughly 99% of FCS teams would have? 

Not saying UND couldn't or shouldn't have won at least some of those games but to pretend that the average occurrence of it should be different is a bit silly. 

And the NDSU game was sold out at the Alerus. 

Also interesting to see how the record changes when you drop it to 10k. I guess those extra 2k+ make the difference? (and completely aware in most cases it is significantly more than that number, just pointing out you picked an arbitrary number that only includes games on the road either at higher level opponents or some of the toughest places to play within the division). 

So, you want UND to be an average/median FCS team? Again, mediocrity. Not “silly”. It’s laughable to phrase it like that.  Sample size is 7 games, but UND is 0-7 in those games. That’s bad, in case you didn’t know that. Win at least 2 or 3? And the 10-12k crowd sizes still only offer a 0.500 record: that’s not good enough. You just exemplify the opposite mindset of a champion, and UND (including leadership) needs more. And I stated that UND can’t sell out games *other than when NDSU comes to town* …

the attendance number /metric portrays “big games”… more people show up to watch “big games”. Would aptly like to see UND win said “big games”. Also 13,000 is the approximate capacity of the Alerus Center, not a random number. 

nonetheless, your unimpressive attempt to undermine my point and identified statistic is appreciated, but I for good reason don’t agree with it. You failed to truly refute it. 

“Champions behave like champions before they are champions”

-Bill Walsh

As for this week, getting back on topic; some (for example @jdub27) may say it is again not likely nor should it be expected that UND win on Saturday versus South Dakota State.  Big crowd, but tough road opponent. I won’t sway from my approach. It will be tough and UND is rightfully the underdog, but if we all as UND supporters want to see UND take the next step, WIN THE DAMN GAME AND EXPECT TO DO SO. Otherwise, at some point, you can’t keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results. Consider changes, including with leadership. 

• Like 2

SDSU will be looking to send a message early. The defense best be ready. 

If it's to be 85F on Saturday in Brookings, I invite SDSU to wear the same uniforms they wore against Montana State.
Yeah, they'll probably wear the "white rabbit" look. 

My dream for Saturday: Not safe for work or weak stomachs

• Upvote 1

This game is our toughest.  Even if we play for the championship.

It will always take one, two. Three trick plays to beat a champions team.

In the 60's I don't remember which QB threw a bounce pass to another player behind the line of scrimmage, the other player threw to a WR so wide out nobody within 15 yards.  TD.  Announcers were so confused about the play because the football bound on the ground and wondered if it was a dead ball.  I want to win the game.

Minor rant follows. 
Please, world, call a "backwards pass" what it actually is by rule: a lateral. (Get the word "pass" out of the description as it only confuses some folks.) 

A pass hitting the ground is a dead ball.
A lateral hitting the ground is a fumble. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:
21 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

No. 

I mean, it depends on what your team is made of.  If you are the superior team, then, no, you probably don't need trick plays.  Just come at them with your superior stuff.  If you are equals, but your trick play(s) is/are superior to the opponent's, then you deserve to win.  If you are not the superior team, then, yes, you probably need a few trick plays to win the game.  That doesn't mean that you didn't deserve it, though.  Make plays to win the game.

26 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

This game is our toughest.  Even if we play for the championship.

In the 60's I don't remember which QB threw a bounce pass to another player behind the line of scrimmage, the other player threw to a WR so wide out nobody within 15 yards.  TD.  Announcers were so confused about the play because the football bound on the ground and wondered if it was a dead ball.  I want to win the game.

Distant memory but I think Nebraska or someone ran that play in the '70's.  They made sure to meet with the officials ahead of the game to explain what they were going to do so it wouldn't get blown dead inadvertently. 

Looks like this change in 2005, but previously in HS football you could make 2 forward passes in the same play if the first was caught behind the line of scrimmage.  I remember Eden Prairie ran it and had same conversation with referees prior to the game. 

5 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Distant memory but I think Nebraska or someone ran that play in the '70's.  They made sure to meet with the officials ahead of the game to explain what they were going to do so it wouldn't get blown dead inadvertently. 

Looks like this change in 2005, but previously in HS football you could make 2 forward passes in the same play if the first was caught behind the line of scrimmage.  I remember Eden Prairie ran it and had same conversation with referees prior to the game. 

Nebraska did the FumbleRooskie

2 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

For sure were famous for the FumbleRooskie. 

I just looked it up and they ran the backward bounce pass/double pass against OK in 1982 to help them win. Called it the Bounceroosky.  

So did they get lucky that the ball didn't just bounce weirdly, or can you actually control how it's going to bounce off the turf?

11 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

So, you want UND to be an average/median FCS team? 

Despite what you think, they are already beyond that. 

That being said, I look forward to the day that the are the favorite in every game in the schedule and have continued to make beyond that. Recognizing that and what they are doing to improve is a lot more helpful than continously being critical and negative towards the program. But you're going to continue to do what you do. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I didn't realize you were referencing UND.  Wasn't aware we pulled it off.  That's great

Yes TD.  I don't remember what year or opponent but it score.  The player that caught the bounce just stood for a second or two just hold the football in one hand down by his side.  Defense bit hard that it was a dead ball. WR wide open.  Of course it was a lateral(@sic) behind the QB by a couple yards.  I want to say it was in the 60's or early 70's.

9 hours ago, Dustin said:

I mean, it depends on what your team is made of.  If you are the superior team, then, no, you probably don't need trick plays.  Just come at them with your superior stuff.  If you are equals, but your trick play(s) is/are superior to the opponent's, then you deserve to win.  If you are not the superior team, then, yes, you probably need a few trick plays to win the game.  That doesn't mean that you didn't deserve it, though.  Make plays to win the game.

I know that SDSU ran trick plays last year - wasn't one of them against SU and it made Sports Center. Complaining about trick plays is bush. 

• Like 1