SiouxSports.com Forum

Sigh....The Vikings.....

Wilbur

59 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Next season is probably a lost cause. The coaches and GM know it but would never say. This offseason is very important for their longer term future. They need to get the QB situation figured out for the long term, which pretty much requires them to draft a QB in the first round, probably moving up by trading with San Diego. I would seriously look at trade offers for Jefferson. Really don’t want to lose him but I’m not sure it is worth paying any non QB 30+ million a year, especially if it’s guaranteed money. A top QB along with good offensive and defensive lines will give you a shot at a Super Bowl. 

I bet we could soak Jerry Jones for a couple of first round picks for Jefferson. Jones is a sucker for flashy players like that. It would be sweet payback for the Hershel Walker deal. :devil:

1 hour ago, rochsioux said:

Next season is probably a lost cause. The coaches and GM know it but would never say. This offseason is very important for their longer term future. They need to get the QB situation figured out for the long term, which pretty much requires them to draft a QB in the first round, probably moving up by trading with San Diego. I would seriously look at trade offers for Jefferson. Really don’t want to lose him but I’m not sure it is worth paying any non QB 30+ million a year, especially if it’s guaranteed money. A top QB along with good offensive and defensive lines will give you a shot at a Super Bowl. 

I don't think trading to the 5th pick would land a QB they couldn't take with their current pick.  The price to move up to a top (3) pick would be steep and probably isn't even an option.

2 hours ago, rochsioux said:

The books are set up very nice for 2025. If they can land a solid QB this year, they will be in good shape. If not, they are likely hoping to do it in 2025 if the season doesn't go well.
Guessing they sign Jefferson to a monster extension (that he's earned) to keep around some solid pieces heading into the next few years.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I bet we could soak Jerry Jones for a couple of first round picks for Jefferson. Jones is a sucker for flashy players like that. It would be sweet payback for the Hershel Walker deal. :devil:

What's the last big name free agent the Cowboys signed or traded a giant haul away for?
They are saving their money to keep their homegrown talent their, they aren't going to be your huckleberry.

57 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

I don't think trading to the 5th pick would land a QB they couldn't take with their current pick.  The price to move up to a top (3) pick would be steep and probably isn't even an option.

That is certainly possible, it all depends on which QB they want. Pretty likely Williams, Daniels and Maye all go in the top 3. After that the Giants pick 6th, Atlanta is 8th and the Jets 10. The Giants are the most likely of them to go QB now that Atlanta has Cousins. Rodger’s would probably go ballistic if the Jets drafted a QB. Denver and Vegas draft 12 and 13 and I would be surprised if at least one of them doesn’t try to move up for a QB. If the Vikings are convinced that a long term answer would be available at the five spot then you pull the trigger and make a trade to move up. If they think the value is similar between QBs 4, 5 and 6 then you wait till you draft at #11. Drafting a QB is a crapshoot but that’s what they get paid to do. If you fail at this the Vikings will be looking for a new GM in a few years. 

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

What's the last big name free agent the Cowboys signed or traded a giant haul away for?
They are saving their money to keep their homegrown talent their, they aren't going to be your huckleberry.

Jerry Jones wants flashy players to fill that 100,000 seat stadium of his. He's always been like that. He cares more about entertainment than winning. That is one reason the Cowboys haven't won anything in 30 years.

33 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Jerry Jones wants flashy players to fill that 100,000 seat stadium of his. He's always been like that. He cares more about entertainment than winning. That is one reason the Cowboys haven't won anything in 30 years.

Again, when was the last time they splurged in free agency or gave away a giant haul in a trade? Maybe TO almost 20 years ago now?
Jones has significantly changed his approach for at least the last decade.
Not to say he wouldn't make a blockbuster deal but that perception hasn't been reality for a long time.

53 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Again, when was the last time they splurged in free agency or gave away a giant haul in a trade? Maybe TO almost 20 years ago now?
Jones has significantly changed his approach for at least the last decade.
Not to say he wouldn't make a blockbuster deal but that perception hasn't been reality for a long time.

His son had to physically restrain him from drafting Johnny Manziel. He hasn't changed as much as some people think.

If Russell Wilson (who is on the downside of his career) can be traded for multiple picks, then Justin Jefferson (who is in his prime as a generational talent) can be as well. Either the Vikings pay him QB money or they trade him to someone looking for that final piece to win a title. Letting him walk and getting nothing in return is not an option.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

His son had to physically restrain him from drafting Johnny Manziel. He hasn't changed as much as some people think.

If Russell Wilson (who is on the downside of his career) can be traded for multiple picks, then Justin Jefferson (who is in his prime as a generational talent) can be as well. Either the Vikings pay him QB money or they trade him to someone looking for that final piece to win a title. Letting him walk and getting nothing in return is not an option.

Fun story, not true though.... 

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/nfl-draft-true-story-jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-and-almost-johnny-manziel

Yes, Jefferson would be worth a decent haul. But no one has even remotely suggested letting him walk for nothing. Which is why they are working on extending him. 

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Fun story, not true though.... 

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/nfl-draft-true-story-jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-and-almost-johnny-manziel

Yes, Jefferson would be worth a decent haul. But no one has even remotely suggested letting him walk for nothing. Which is why they are working on extending him. 

Do you think the Vikings will put that much money into a non-QB player? It would eat up a huge chunk of the salary cap. Tough decision.

17 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

That is just not true. If he wanted just "flashy players" as you say, why do they have winning seasons on a continuous basis? Once you get to the playoffs, it really is anyone's game.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Okay, so we drafted the savior of the franchise!  Thank God!

I may be more excited about Turner, but we officially have drafted our next QB to lead the franchise.  Please....let this one be it.....with no offense to Christian Ponder, Kellen Mond, TarVar, Jaren Hall, Nate Stanley, Teddy B, JD Booty, Tyler Thigpen, Chad May, Gino Torretta, and any other names I'm forgetting who weren't some how a diamond in the rough player with the potential to lead a franchise....

Left Brad Johnson and Daunte off the list because they were okay for periods of time.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Okay, so we drafted the savior of the franchise!  Thank God!

I may be more excited about Turner, but we officially have drafted our next QB to lead the franchise.  Please....let this one be it.....with no offense to Christian Ponder, Kellen Mond, TarVar, Jaren Hall, Nate Stanley, Teddy B, JD Booty, Tyler Thigpen, Chad May, Gino Torretta, and any other names I'm forgetting who weren't some how a diamond in the rough player with the potential to lead a franchise....

Left Brad Johnson and Daunte off the list because they were okay for periods of time.  

If Daunte Culpepper hadn't blown out his knee, I think he would have taken us places.

• Upvote 2

On 3/15/2024 at 8:15 AM, siouxkid12 said:

That is just not true. If he wanted just "flashy players" as you say, why do they have winning seasons on a continuous basis? Once you get to the playoffs, it really is anyone's game.

I think it’s more accurate to say “Jerry’s World” (stadium, practice facilities, golf course, post game amenities for players and their families) is flashy. The organization takes very good care of players and their families. There was nothing flashy about a number of there players that were drafted or signed as free agents over the years but the Cowboys and the stadium bring in a lot of fans in a FB crazy state who want to experience “Jerry’s World”.  He is all about winning, but  I believe his ego sometimes gets in the way of team success. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I think it’s more accurate to say “Jerry’s World” (stadium, practice facilities, golf course, post game amenities for players and their families) is flashy. The organization takes very good care of players and their families. There was nothing flashy about a number of there players that were drafted or signed as free agents over the years but the Cowboys and the stadium bring in a lot of fans in a FB crazy state who want to experience “Jerry’s World”.  He is all about winning, but  I believe his ego sometimes gets in the way of team success. 

That is the point I was trying to make.

• Upvote 1