SiouxSports.com Forum

Sigh....The Vikings.....

Wilbur

15 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Now that Cousins has signed with the Falcons, the Vikings should do whatever it takes to get that #1 overall pick from Chicago. The Bears are probably going to stick with Fields at QB, so trading the #1 pick would give them loads of extra draft capital. The Vikings would have the pick of any QB they want. Get that franchise QB and build around him. In today's NFL, if you don't have a QB, you don't have a team. Period. #timetogetserious

You can't be serious. The hit rate of first round picks, let along QB's, is something like 30-40%. Mortgaging multiple years worth of 1st and 2nd round picks, which is exactly what the team needs to get through some salary cap issues, would be an absolute abomination of an idea.

25 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You can't be serious. The hit rate of first round picks, let along QB's, is something like 30-40%. Mortgaging multiple years worth of 1st and 2nd round picks, which is exactly what the team needs to get through some salary cap issues, would be an absolute abomination of an idea.

Well, with Sam Darnold at QB, the Vikings might get the #1 overall pick in 2025. So maybe we should wait.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Well, with Sam Darnold at QB, the Vikings might get the #1 overall pick in 2025. So maybe we should wait.

Clearly they aren't looking at anything long-term with Darnold. They signed him to a very fair one-year deal based on what QB's of similar regard are getting in the market (with more than a few signing 2 year deals). The 49ers were comfortable with him (at a lower price) to be a safety net/backup for Purdy this past season. He fits well into what KOC's offense is as well. 

And if he bombs, then you're right, good shot at a QB next year without mortgaging the future.

41 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Darnold over Fields? SMH

I know MIN would have to give up a pick or 2 but Darnold? Really??

This I agree with. Sounds like the cost has went from a 2nd or 3rd round pick to a 3rd day pick to acquire him, which is crazy. And for that price, a team wouldn't even feel obligated to pick up his 5th year option at $25+ million.
Guessing the Bears have zero desire to trade him within the division, at least yet. He could still be an option because I doubt they want him hanging a shadow over (likely) Caleb Williams.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

#xTD 

That was for you @Oxbow6

That will be for all the Barkley Fantasy FB owners next year when Hurts poaches 8 TDs from 1-2 yards out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iluvdebbies said:

Signing Darnold doesn't mean the Vikes won't move up to get a QB in this year's draft.

For once, I agree with you. There is a good group of QBs that will be available this year. I could see them moving up on draft day if there is someone they are interested in and they don't think he'll fall to them.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Guessing the Bears have zero desire to trade him within the division, at least yet. He could still be an option because I doubt they want him hanging a shadow over (likely) Caleb Williams.

Isn't Caleb Williams the guy that thinks he's owed a huge contract before he's played a single down in the NFL? Screw him. He's going to learn the hard way that his bargaining position isn't nearly as strong as he thinks it is.

9 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Now that Cousins has signed with the Falcons, the Vikings should do whatever it takes to get that #1 overall pick from Chicago. The Bears are probably going to stick with Fields at QB, so trading the #1 pick would give them loads of extra draft capital. The Vikings would have the pick of any QB they want. Get that franchise QB and build around him. In today's NFL, if you don't have a QB, you don't have a team. Period. #timetogetserious

I've had no faith in big Vikings trades ever since the Hershel Walker deal.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Isn't Caleb Williams the guy that thinks he's owed a huge contract before he's played a single down in the NFL? Screw him. He's going to learn the hard way that his bargaining position isn't nearly as strong as he thinks it is.

Yep he’s the one. His  dad sounds like a real winner too. Huge red flag 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Also wants to get around the CBA and be a team owner. 

• Like 1

Once again, safety Harrison Smith has agreed to take a pay cut for the upcoming season to stay in purple in gold for a 13th season, a source confirms to KSTP Sports.

Spotrac notes that Smith was scheduled to have a base salary of nearly $14.5 million this season and be paid $15.3 million in actual cash in the penultimate year of his deal. According to a source, he'll now make $9 million in 2024.

https://kstp.com/minnesota-sports/source-harrison-smith-takes-pay-cut-to-stay-with-minnesota-vikings/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/11/2024 at 2:43 PM, Hawkster said:

That was my first thought too.  Trey Lance has a fair amount of upside.

Lance is a hell of an athlete.......dosent make him a great NFL QB....I think he probably stays as a backup...and has a career much like Easton Stick

I'm a bit scared that QB guru KOC thinks they can make Darnold into something he's not and they don't move up in the draft.  The guy has all the physical tools in the world, but can't read a defense to save his life and turns the ball over. 

I was in the boat of let it ride with Mullens until the QB you draft is ready to go.  Alas, we've got the QB that sees ghosts...

• Like 1

Just now, 1972 said:

Lance is a hell of an athlete.......dosent make him a great NFL QB....I think he probably stays as a backup...and has a career much like Easton Stick

in Mr treys dreams does he have Eastens career.....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I'm a bit scared that QB guru KOC thinks they can make Darnold into something he's not and they don't move up in the draft.  The guy has all the physical tools in the world, but can't read a defense to save his life and turns the ball over. 

I was in the boat of let it ride with Mullens until the QB you draft is ready to go.  Alas, we've got the QB that sees ghosts...

I may be wrong, but to me the Darnold signing all but confirms they're moving up and taking a QB this year. 

Next season is probably a lost cause. The coaches and GM know it but would never say. This offseason is very important for their longer term future. They need to get the QB situation figured out for the long term, which pretty much requires them to draft a QB in the first round, probably moving up by trading with San Diego. I would seriously look at trade offers for Jefferson. Really don’t want to lose him but I’m not sure it is worth paying any non QB 30+ million a year, especially if it’s guaranteed money. A top QB along with good offensive and defensive lines will give you a shot at a Super Bowl.