SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

14 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Look at our output against good defenses though. We puffed up our offensive stats against cupcakes. 

Going back years.  Look at Tommy's stats vs NDSU prior to this season for example.  

I think it's a scheme thing.  Our screen game works against inferior opponents but not defenses with great athletes which can get to our receivers quicker (less open space for them to work with, where they actually get the yardage after short pass).  This limits our ceiling and it's why we underperform in big games.

The 3-4 defense just does not work at UND anymore. They don't recruit or just can't get the players for that scheme. Don't want to hear that it works for Bama and Georgia. Guess what, UND should not be in any sentence with those programs. It just hasn't been working and it's time to move on from it. Yes, maybe it's not the whole problem with the defense but why not just change it up? SDSU and NDSU don't use it! 

7 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

The 3-4 defense just does not work at UND anymore. They don't recruit or just can't get the players for that scheme. Don't want to hear that it works for Bama and Georgia. Guess what, UND should not be in any sentence with those programs. It just hasn't been working and it's time to move on from it. Yes, maybe it's not the whole problem with the defense but why not just change it up? SDSU and NDSU don't use it! 

Again, if you think base defensive alignment is the issue, then, well, think again. I definitely think changes on multiple levels are needed, but this isn’t it.

With that said, I don’t care if the base alignment is 3-4, 4-3, 5-2, 3-3-5, etc. I just want more competent football being played out on the field. No reason a defense should be so poorly coached that it gives up 3rd and long after 3rd and long time and time again. God awful coaching and defensive positioning/strategy by the coaching staff in those situations, which are supposed to be favorable to the defense, all season long.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Maybe it's an issue that we have multiple assistant coaches that came here with Bubba in 2014?  Hell, Rudy and Knauf would still be here too if they hadn't been fired. 

I don’t ever want coaches poached but if you’re successful, your coaches will be poached. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, sioux24/7 said:

I don’t ever want coaches poached but if you’re successful, your coaches will be poached. 

One side of argument is being poached. The other is the coach actually having desire to move up the ladder and challenge themselves.  Which is not happening here - it's like a country club

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

One side of argument is being poached. The other is the coach actually having desire to move up the ladder and challenge themselves.  Which is not happening here - it's like a country club

No pressure or accountability. All complacency and joy. It’s ridiculous.  major culture problem here at UND football with Bubba being the ringleader … 

9 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

What’s it tell you when none of our assistants are being poached for bigger better things

only one I can think of was schmidt

As I recall, Schmidt left for greener pastures just before Freund was named Associate Head Coach. 

I suspect Eric saw that writing on the wall and jumped, as much as he was 'poached'.
Schmidt and DeBoer knew each other from time at SIU. 

Schmidt has it good at UDub right now. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

As I recall, Schmidt left for greener pastures just before Freund was named Associate Head Coach. 

I suspect Eric saw that writing on the wall and jumped, as much as he was 'poached'.
Schmidt and DeBoer knew each other from time at SIU. 

Schmidt has it good at UDub right now. 

Schmidt knew it was time to get out of "Dodge" if he wanted his career climb to continue.  This UND team has underperformed for years.

How many underperforming clunkers in 2018?  2019?

Schmidt knew.

It's not like any of this is new?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Schmidt left UND after 2019 season.  Freund was not named Associate Head Coach until earlier this year.

I know a lot of people wax nostalgic for Schmidt, but I seem to remember his defenses being a liability as well. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

The only time our offense impressed me was against NDSU. Every other time we faced a tough defense they struggled. Averaged 20pts against teams with respectable at all defenses. That’s with the 49 we dropped on NDSU as a major outlier. Without that performance we averaged 14.2.

agree 100%.. IF you dont think the offense was part of the problem you are giving way to much credit to running up scores against crappy teams

• against UNI 0 pts
  • First half against Indiana state.. 7pts
  • South Dakota - 3 pts (7 was ko return)

While our Defense was clearly the weakest link.. Our offense was terrible against all decent teams except NDSU.  The frustrating thing is that our offense had the template to win games this year (NDSU game plan) and Danny must have just been too bored with that. 

Hopefully 2024 will be a better year.. Im not expecting much in the way of changes in the coaching staff.. hopefully we dont lose the OL coach as he seems to have some talent/recruiting ability.  Somehow the defense has to get better and Im hoping for a change at QB and/or Danny is another year smarter.  I think our Offense has a chance to be even better in 2024.. good OL.. good RB's.. (Ziebarth, Isaiah, Siedl) good WR's (Belquist, plenty of returners, redshirt freshmen (Tai, hakim)).. better QB.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

What’s it tell you when none of our assistants are being poached for bigger better things

only one I can think of was schmidt

We've had a couple new RB coaches over the years haven't we?  Not sure they were necessarily "poached" though.

Would be curious to know the turnover on SDSU's staff over the last 10 years (other than Stig retiring).  Obviously NDSU has had several guys move up...

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Again, if you think base defensive alignment is the issue, then, well, think again. I definitely think changes on multiple levels are needed, but this isn’t it.

With that said, I don’t care if the base alignment is 3-4, 4-3, 5-2, 3-3-5, etc. I just want more competent football being played out on the field. No reason a defense should be so poorly coached that it gives up 3rd and long after 3rd and long time and time again. God awful coaching and defensive positioning/strategy by the coaching staff in those situations, which are supposed to be favorable to the defense, all season long.

Very much agree that with the D talent we have, scheme probably isn't going to matter much.  You have D linemen that get no pressure, LB that aren't physical or very good in space and mediocre Dbacks and I don't care if Brian Flores is here it's not going to be great.  Obviously recruiting = coaching in college football.  Think I heard a coach once asked what the 3 most important aspects of coaching in college are, his reply: "recruiting."

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

On to 2024. Expectation is 7-5. Can UND exceed that? I doubt it, but we will certainly find out. 

As long as we edge our way into the playoffs we can call the season a complete success. A home playoff game or a win (or both) would be nice, but definitely not necessary. I think we can all agree this would more than justify a 5-6 year extension for Bubba and Co. because if there is one thing this fan base and program needs .... its more griddy (but not too often).

It also might be a lot to ask, but if we can keep within 2 scores of SDSU, its basically a win!

• Like 1