SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

The big question will be whether or not Bubba brings Tommy back or not.  I'm sure that will take time to decide. 

I'm in the boat of move on.  The kid holds a lot of records, but its time.  He's been here forever, gave a lot, but the offense needs new direction. 

Kind of similar to the Tanner Morgan situation in Minnesota.  Towards the end they knew it was time and he ended up on the bench even at the end.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The big question will be whether or not Bubba brings Tommy back or not.  I'm sure that will take time to decide. 

I'm in the boat of move on.  The kid holds a lot of records, but its time.  He's been here forever, gave a lot, but the offense needs new direction. 

Kind of similar to the Tanner Morgan situation in Minnesota.  Towards the end they knew it was time and he ended up on the bench even at the end.  

Or do you bring Tommy back and say it’s an open QB competition for QB1. Make Tommy earn it. Or Trey earns it and we have a new QB. Either way, beat QB will be the starter. 

This teams lacks an identity.  

Offensively- everyone can see we are at our best when we pound the ball but we have an OC that can’t commit to it and gets impatient.  I made mention to my brother today at the game the worst thing that could have happened to us was the 4th quarter break when we had the ball at the 50.  Gave Danny too much time to think instead of sticking with what was working and sure enough the next two plays we take two sacks on the same simple pressure from the defense.  

Defensively- what are we.  We aren’t “bend but don’t break”, we aren’t “physical”, we don’t get there when “we bring pressure”.  I don’t know what we are supposed to be.  

The staff needs to figure it out and go find the talent through the portal if it’s not on the roster.  I think one side of the ball has a lot of pieces in place already but they need to determine how they get better. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Not the big question in my opinion. Smoke and mirrors: distracts from the main issue. New QB won’t fix the defense or play calling or road woes. 

• Upvote 3

Defensively needs a completely different approach. Start by trying to get McNaboe, Fort, Beach to use their Covid years. Next, honest evaluation of who can play / contribute @ this level. For example, OLB position is FUBAR. Rucker has a bright future, build around him. Hope they move on from the other upperclassman. In general, going to take something special to turn this group around. Keep the pieces that work, hit the portal hard. 

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

Defensively needs a completely different approach. Start by trying to get McNaboe, Fort, Beach to use their Covid years. Next, honest evaluation of who can play / contribute @ this level. For example, OLB position is FUBAR. Rucker has a bright future, build around him. Hope they move on from the other upperclassman. In general, going to take something special to turn this group around. Keep the pieces that work, hit the portal hard. 

Need another dude at Nose and develop some physical d-ends. I still remember when we were D2 and a 3 to 4 man pressure schemes brought a rush on UNI QB and the coach commented on that he did not expect that from a D2 team! 

If we would be in the middle of FCS on 3rd down defense, I believe, we would have about 2 extra wins in each the last two years.

• Upvote 1

It’s hard to tell if it is really personnel issues on defense or just horrible scheming.  Bad tackling is on the players but after watching us give up nearly every third and long we put them in for weeks you have to wonder about the scheme at some point.  Ideally make an adjustment but that has not been our forte…

13 minutes ago, UND Football Fan said:

Need another dude at Nose and develop some physical d-ends. I still remember when we were D2 and a 3 to 4 man pressure schemes brought a rush on UNI QB and the coach commented on that he did not expect that from a D2 team! 

If we would be in the middle of FCS on 3rd down defense, I believe, we would have about 2 extra wins in each the last two years.

10 minutes ago, Hans8891 said:

It’s hard to tell if it is really personnel issues on defense or just horrible scheming.  Bad tackling is on the players but after watching us give up nearly every third and long we put them in for weeks you have to wonder about the scheme at some point.  Ideally make an adjustment but that has not been our forte…

Both personnel and scheme … any program will do better if they have better players, but that is always limited to a certain degree. Need to make up the difference with coaching and scheme. 

Unless the told differently from higher up we will not get new D staff. We do need a shake up, 2 years of poor D and terrible 3rd down defense requires something to change on that side of the ball.

We got a least one NG with transfer portal and helped. Still need more help on D-line with portal unless the guys we have can fill that roll. We just don’t have the personnel to rush 4 (I hope next year). If we don’t have a rush we need to cover …… teams seem to salivate over our zone (last year we did not have the spread to cover man….SIU last year comes to mind). 5 man rush with blitz did not do much this year. All out blitz and we seem to lose on the jump ball throws. 

Long story short, either fix with portal (not full scale) or some new Defensive coaches. 2 years of a glaring problem is already 1.5 years too long.

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We should no joke bring in 6 transfers to try out in spring ball at safety. Mix d2, fcs, FBS, and JUCO guys. Same for OLB. Bring in dudes and a few will stick. Then actually recruit athletes for those spots. Our roster is pathetic right now in a few locations and it was so glaring today.

we couldn't find someone more competent than KK for the last four years or so...so this asking alot

26 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We should no joke bring in 6 transfers to try out in spring ball at safety. Mix d2, fcs, FBS, and JUCO guys. Same for OLB. Bring in dudes and a few will stick. Then actually recruit athletes for those spots. Our roster is pathetic right now in a few locations and it was so glaring today.

Would be a better strategy than what the current staff has been trying …