SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

9 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Wins vs the Griz, UNI and USD? Nah....not happening. 

All 3 at home. Could see 2-1, but they will win most home games again. They will likely lose to SDSU again, but most of the losses again will come from road losses. The road problem has existed for several seasons under the current “leadership” so I expect UND to continue to lose most of those road games, with exception in 2024 being @ Indiana State. 

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

OLB should be coached by someone who didn’t play D2 WR.

Honestly, some of the best college coaches out there weren’t superstar players in colleges. In fact, some didn’t play college football at all. 

Bottomline is need to be open minded in the hiring process, and most importantly for UND, be open to the idea of change. The resistance to change at UND is horrific. 

• Upvote 1

If they're going to stay with a 3-4 at least find a HC who is considered a 3-4 expert, someone who knows the personnel needed to run it and the real-time in-game adjustments that can be made.

Oh ...
Wait ... 

There's the rub: the problem with the team is the defense and the HC came from the defensive side. 

• Upvote 2

Tommy Schuster is an above average FCS QB (statistical top twenty). He'd be 100% the right choice if we had the 1985 Bears defense (or the Ravens D when Trent Dilfer was their QB). 

But if the defense is going to be (politely) porous, and dare I say absent on third down, you need a little more verve from the QB position. Is Tommy on a "stay safe" leash or can he provide it? 

After Sac State, I'll risk repeating myself:

Our D practices against our O.
It learns edges and angles and contains.
But if we encounter a faster team those edges and angles and contains are off

https://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/38339-und-south-dakota-11112023/page/4/#comment-1332737

I'll ponder again if it's a "practice speed" versus "game speed" (faster opponents) problem when learning edges and angles. 

Then again, when they do get there the words "wrap up" seem foreign at times. 

https://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/38339-und-south-dakota-11112023/page/39/#comment-1334752

The offense isn't the problem.  This team averaged 31.4 PPG.  No questions it's the defense.  They gave up an average of 26.2 PPG.  Which included 33 and 31 to bottom feeders Indiana St and Murray St respectively and 42 at home to a 4th place Big Sky team.  So as much as people want to complain about quarterback play, that's not the problem.  Sure, Trey has a bigger arm and might be more mobile, but 31.4 PPG is still pretty damn good.

Defensive personal needs to change, but most importantly, our scheme needs to change.  It's time to retire the 3-4 defense.  We have got to be one of the last schools in the country to still running it.  They implemented it in the late 80's/early 90's for one reason.  The to stop NDSU's option.  No one does the option anymore.  This would be a huge change that I think would prove to be very successful.  It's time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It's time to retire the 3-4 defense.

I've said it elsewhere, but for a long time, I was proud of UND running a 3-4 defense.  Not sure why, exactly, maybe just because it's the defense that took us places in the '90s and '00s (several NDSU wins, an NCAA championship, another NCAA title game).  But it sure seems like it's a liability now.  Honestly, I don't care what defense we run as long as it's successful.  Get someone in there who can design a scheme to stop a modern offense at this level.

10 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The offense isn't the problem.  This team averaged 31.4 PPG.  No questions it's the defense.  They gave up an average of 26.2 PPG.  Which included 33 and 31 to bottom feeders Indiana St and Murray St respectively and 42 at home to a 4th place Big Sky team.  So as much as people want to complain about quarterback play, that's not the problem.  Sure, Trey has a bigger arm and might be more mobile, but 31.4 PPG is still pretty damn good.

Defensive personal needs to change, but most importantly, our scheme needs to change.  It's time to retire the 3-4 defense.  We have got to be one of the last schools in the country to still running it.  They implemented it in the late 80's/early 90's for one reason.  The to stop NDSU's option.  No one does the option anymore.  This would be a huge change that I think would prove to be very successful.  It's time.

Actually they were the 6th place Big Sky team.

On 11/25/2023 at 8:42 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

regression?  i disagree......he's pretty much the same as he was five years ago

You won't get an argument out of me. Credit to you, you've been on this for a long time. 

What do we think the bigger issue was this year? Pass blocking considerably worse? Losing someone like Maag? 

All I know is he seemed to be an above average QB last year, up until the 3rd game this year. Since then, I'll be nice and say he's looked average. 

Just now, Midwestern Hawk said:

Not a chance this is the case.  How many games this season did we come out like we were not even interested.  NOt motivated, not confident, not going to play fast.

This includes the starting QB who is a captain and leader of the team as well. Nothing about him exudes confidence or is going to motivate anyone. No excitement, no fire, no emotion at all. Nothing but nervous energy from him in any big game. 

He'll put up stats against schools that don't even know they have a football team though! 

21 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

No one does the option anymore.

Well this simply is false.

3-4 defense being the scapegoat is interesting, but I don’t buy it. How the scheme is implemented and taught is more important, and, of course, the ability of the student-athletes on the field is the most important piece.  The devil is in the details, not the alignment. 

I don't think what defense they run ultimately matters. This year, their front 7 was not even close to good enough. The LB's are not only small, but slow. I would say that for most of their D-Line too.

Have 75% of your D-Line be big (275+), with the other 25% being edge type of rushers (McNaboe, Schultz, Teigen). Need to get bigger at ILB. Need to get SO much faster at OLB. 

Here's my question. If your starting OLB's are Turner / Shannon. How does the defense look this year? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we just witnessed the worst OLB crew this school has ever seen.

53 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Look at our output against good defenses though. We puffed up our offensive stats against cupcakes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Look at our output against good defenses though. We puffed up our offensive stats against cupcakes. 

We won in OT as as 28 point home favorite cause we can't stop anyone. 

• Like 1