SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

3 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Name one coach that he’s hired that has gone to do good things

2 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Or would you sit back and watch and think philosophical approach, and then let things happen

Swaying too far away from the realm of possibility. But I agree in principle with what you’re laying out.

The idea of having Tommy back with an open competition is baffling to me.  As bad as he was in big games (outside of NDSU) there was plenty of opportunity to try something different.  Danny was unwilling to give the other guys a chance.  I have zero faith that he would have a truely open competition.  Too easy to just keep rolling with the statistical leader in every offensive qb category. 

I hate piling on Tommy.. I think he was a gigantic upgrade over Ketteringham..   At this point thought his limitations are obvious and well planned for by apposing teams.  At some point you have to find out if the younger kids can play. Prob similar comment with Bubba/Tommy.. Both raised the floor but have a pretty obvious ceiling.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Swaying too far away from the realm of possibility. But I agree in principle with what you’re laying out.

Tupac sure worked out well hell look at Sather he might finish eighth this year instead of ninth and how is Coach Mel doing losing by 20 every game and this is her star players last year

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Name one coach that he’s hired that has gone to do good things

I know a buy out is a problem but is there any indication that Chaves "gets it" at all concerning the FB program?  He clearly didn't in 2021.  Our game planning and in-game adjustments are the worst I have ever seen.   What will it take for the light to go on in his head?  We can complain or alternately support the program with more money all we want but until the AD sees winning as a priority welcome to our future - rinse, repeat.  

• Upvote 3

As a lifelong UND fan, over the last couple seasons I’ve started to watch less and less. I watch the first couple of games until it becomes clear that we are mediocre again, and then I start to scoreboard watch on my phone and spend my Saturdays doing something else. This program is just not really interesting at all right now, and I think the fan base is shrinking as a result. If I had to guess, I’ll watch even less in 2024. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

I don’t think transfers will fix the issue. Program tried this the last couple seasons with transfers and same problems persisted. When you beat your rival and follow it up with a 27-0 loss, or lose by one score to South Dakota and Sac State, it’s not merely talent deficiency, but rather misuse of availabe talent. This team could have won many more games, but they didn’t due to mismanagement. So close, but yet so far.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I don’t think transfers will fix the issue. Program tried this the last couple seasons with transfers and same problems persisted. When you beat your rival and follow it up with a 27-0 loss, or lose by one score to South Dakota and Sac State, it’s not merely talent deficiency, but rather misuse of availabe talent. This team could have won many more games, but they didn’t due to mismanagement. So close, but yet so far.  

It’s a combination of both. Bad coaching with people in positions that shouldn’t be and talent deficiency. Not a good combo. 

14 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Chaves didn’t hire Bubba so how would anyone know if he wouldn’t hire a good replacement?

He didn't hire him but he did give him an extension before his contract was due after a 5-6 season.  That's probably a good indication.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Irish said:

He didn't hire him but he did give him an extension before his contract was due after a 5-6 season.  That's probably a good indication.  

Exactly. Chaves made public comment on Bubba’s job security at the time of that extension announcement.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/und-signs-football-coach-bubba-schweigert-to-two-year-extension-through-2025

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Sather is a good hire. Tupac as well. Both of those programs were in shambles though. The right hire with football could make things happen very quickly.

How did men’s basketball finish last year did volleyball even make the summit league playoffs?

"Our football program is in great hands under Bubba's leadership," UND athletic director Bill Chaves said in a statement. "His commitment to the student-athlete experience is tremendous while also being an outstanding ambassador for UND and the state of North Dakota."

Don’t see anything here about being an exceptional coach or recruiter, so maybe a lot of us can apply next time.  I can make a great student-athlete experience.  Don’t see anything about him motivating his players to take their talent to the next level.  Seems like low bar to get an extension. Maybe Chaves figures the same bar would be applied to him.

2 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

How did men’s basketball finish last year did volleyball even make the summit league playoffs?

I'm more than willing to give Sather time because the program was a mess and the change in the transfer rules kept destroying any progress he could make. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, KBH2010 said:

I'm more than willing to give Sather time because the program was a mess and the change in the transfer rules kept destroying any progress he could make. 

How much time have we given you there so far I believe five years enough for his recruits one Cycle