SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

My wish of one day watching a Feeney take it to the Bison in the Fargodome has died a sad death.  

At the same time if the kid isn't 100% committed to being here and being a positive part of the QB room regardless of the depth chart then its time to find another place to play his college football.  I wish the kid well, was hopeful he would one day take the reigns, but life doesn't always work out the way we plan it too.  

As always it would be nice if us fans knew the story. Certainly wish the best for both sides Trey and UND. Last year when the QB struggled there was nothing but crickets. Then the center couldn’t snap the ball half the time and made national TV for bad snaps  and there was no changes and just about the whole O-line two deep left during and after the season. It’s not easy to keep everyone happy but this is going to be an interesting season. 

17 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

What did it say as of why?

is he going somewhere to play baseball? Didn’t he have some big offers out of HS?

Didnt say why, Bubba was quoted saying he is going to look for another opportunity to play college football 

38 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

School starts next week 

Maybe that is his plan then, go somewhere where he can still play this year. Otherwise seems like would have made sense to stay put, Romfo could struggle and Trey would have been next.

While it does suck that he is transferring, he was going to transfer anyway...so might as well get Jerry more reps and get him in some games this year. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Not a good look for UND that good players are leaving 

I'd say it reflects more on the player than the program. Leave pretty much immediately after someone else being named the starter? Pretty obvious the reasoning. Seems like a pretty short-sided decision given there are no actual proven QB's, but if he wants to look elsewhere, he can do so. Hope he finds what he's looking for, best of luck to him. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I have mixed feelings on what’s going through Trey’s head. Maybe he has something lined up at the D2 level where he can likely start right away or after a couple weeks and then if he performs well, he can transfer up, if D1 is the goal. On the other hand, yeah you just lost a QB battle but to another unproven kid. I think there was a high chance he was going to get playing time and if he performed well he could take the job. Now maybe he just saw Simon lighting it up and realized he didn’t have a chance. I don’t know, best of luck to Trey unless we play him. 

This is his 3rd year, if he didn’t crack the starting lineup I don’t blame him for not wanting to mostly sit the bench for the rest of his career.

these kids came to play. I guess it’s just frustrating to see kids leave but fully understandable.

• Upvote 3

I have to admit I was really hoping for the UND/NDSU game winning, Feeney to Belquist connection, in the fargodome this year.  Would have been an altimer.

I dont blame Feeney at all for leaving.. Although the most recent "day by day" was clearly cut before this happened.  He spent last year as the 2nd stringer and got in so rarely even when the games were out of hand.. Im sure he saw that flashing before his eyes again.

Im not a QB talent evaluator, and barely only a commentator on the internet, but have to assume he saw the rest of his career going by without ever getting to play meaningful minutes.  My assumption is Danny saw him every day and picked Tommy over and over regardless of struggles.. Fruechte has likely seen more QB talent and knows what he wants way more than I will ever even think about and somehow picked Romfo over him (also a junior).  I was kind of guessing that Romfo was picked as QB1 for the Iowa St football game and that 2-3 QB's would get meaningful time but they seem to be really pushing the Romfo thing.  If back in January you would have told me that we would have ended up with a shorter QB than we had last year I would have laughed. 

Im excited with what I have seen out of Fruechte so far so am really hoping he made the right decision.. Im really excited for Romfo to see what he can bring to the table and hope he continues his winning ways, but was also really hoping that Feeney would get his shot this year.  As long as Feeney doesnt end up in the MVFC Ill wish him all the success.

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The emergence of Romfo (and Feeney's underwhelming time in mop up roles last year) makes this unsurprising if true. 

Listen to the OC's presser from yesterday: he's really high on the potential of Sulik. 

Agree that Feeney wasn't overwhelming last year but was 15-20 for 217 yards.  Ave 14.5 yds/completion and over 10 yds/attempt.  I think we'd take that any day.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kab said:

If TS would have stayed to play this year I wonder if Trey wouldn’t have left in the spring

You would almost assume so. He has the height and left arm and great touch. I assume his football IQ is high. I bet he has a bright future yet. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Agree that Feeney wasn't overwhelming last year but was 15-20 for 217 yards.  Ave 14.5 yds/completion and over 10 yds/attempt.  I think we'd take that any day.

So *QB3 threw 10x as many passes as Romfo did? Got it.

• Upvote 1