SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Everybody who's anybody knows that ain't in the patch.

That's Helmer's Bar (and Strip Club) in Oriska, ND. How do I know that? I've driven ND 32 a couple times. No further comment. 

@NDRA is that what you were thinkin'? 

IYKYK

May have stopped there on way home to Bismarck from UND a few times.....depends who is asking.

Shortcut home. Thompson exit, HWY 15 west past Northwood, North on 32 through Aneta, Finley, Pillsbury and Oriska...last buidling on the left before jumping back on 94 and heading west.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

There needs to be more accountability; it’s realistic to also acknowledge that. UND needs to make their own luck, and get the job done. Stop blaming others, like the playoff committee. It’s a petty excuse, so I do agree with you on your point being essentially an excuse, and not realistic discourse.

Again, I said they absolutely should have won. Doesn't change the fact that they still had the worst draw in the first round. Making your own luck only goes so far.
Not even taking into account that rules were changed two separate years for two separate things after how the playoff selection shook out, that's a bit beyond making "petty excuses".

If acknowledging the deck has been stacked against them multiple times by pointing out facts, despite saying the team still needs to show up and overcome, is considered making "petty excuses" then whatever I guess. The world isn't black and white, it's OK to accept more than one thing can be true at the same time.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, petey23 said:

IYKYK

May have stopped there on way home to Bismarck from UND a few times.....depends who is asking.

Shortcut home. Thompson exit, HWY 15 west past Northwood, North on 32 through Aneta, Finley, Pillsbury and Oriska...last buidling on the left before jumping back on 94 and heading west.

Gotta respect a man with experience!  :D

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Again, I said they absolutely should have won. Doesn't change the fact that they still had the worst draw in the first round. Making your own luck only goes so far.
Not even taking into account that rules were changed two separate years for two separate things after how the playoff selection shook out, that's a bit beyond making "petty excuses".

If acknowledging the deck has been stacked against them multiple times by pointing out facts, despite saying the team still needs to show up and overcome, is considered making "petty excuses" then whatever I guess. The world isn't black and white, it's OK to accept more than one thing can be true at the same time.

....and here I thought Florida St was the team that got screwed over the worst this past CFB season.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, petey23 said:

IYKYK

I always take they route back to gf

lot of good bars on the way

48 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The world isn't black and white, it's OK to accept more than one thing can be true at the same time.

I agree completely; I just think that the biggest issue of them all is the actual dysfunctionality of the program itself, not the external factors that UND can’t control (hence, the importance of accountability). 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Everybody who's anybody knows that ain't in the patch.

That's Helmer's Bar (and Strip Club) in Oriska, ND. How do I know that? I've driven ND 32 a couple times. No further comment. 

@NDRA is that what you were thinkin'? 

Known for their chicken strips, nice 

Trolling for perspective on Pawlak's move and ran across this interesting post on E-Griz:

"Tommy schuester was a 4 year starter who enrolled in the portal as a grad transfer he transferred to michigan state to play under Jonathan smith... Schuster was told by Smith that it was a wide open completion for the qb. Spot..
He is a really good kid and teamate.

As far as the other coaches leaving, I know that Bubba scweigert has two years remaining on his current contract, and they encouraged former o.c. Danny Freund to try and get more experience coaching elsewhere so he would have a wider scope of experience if and when comes back to potentially be the next und head coach after schweigert leaves."

No idea who the poster could be but seems to suggest having some inside Perspective. But it's a message board so you never know...

Posters over there, by the way, have visited SS and read about "all the offensive coaches jumping ship" and are looking forward to their game here next fall.

45 minutes ago, SooToo said:

Trolling for perspective on Pawlak's move and ran across this interesting post on E-Griz:

"Tommy schuester was a 4 year starter who enrolled in the portal as a grad transfer he transferred to michigan state to play under Jonathan smith... Schuster was told by Smith that it was a wide open completion for the qb. Spot..

As far as the other coaches leaving, I know that Bubba scweigert has two years remaining on his current contract, and they encouraged former o.c. Danny Freund to try and get more experience coaching elsewhere so he would have a wider scope of experience if and when comes back to potentially be the next und head coach after schweigert leaves."

No idea who the poster could be but seems to suggest having some inside Perspective. But it's a message board so you never know...

Posters over there, by the way, have visited SS and read about "all the offensive coaches jumping ship" and are looking forward to their game here next fall.

But, that doesn't jive with the UND offering Danny Freund more money to stay?  If that was the messaging from UND in the beginning.  I am not sure that you would see the response that you have.

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Well I see the director of aquatics operations retired today. Wonder if that could free up some money

Not a better guy within the UND AD over the past 30+ years than Brian. 

1 hour ago, SooToo said:

Smith?

11 minutes ago, FSSD said:

But, that doesn't jive with the UND offering Danny Freund more money to stay?  If that was the messaging from UND in the beginning.  I am not sure that you would see the response that you have.

Agree, the post doesn't jive with info from other sources. (Don't remember who said UND counter-offered; and Freund was quoted in the paper saying it was a hard decision but best for his family and career.) The comments on Schuester being "a really good kid and a good teammate" made me wonder if the post couldn't be from a UND player but again, it's the internet; anything's possible. Maybe Tommy's mom. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SooToo said:

22 minutes ago, FSSD said:

It could also be an assumption, or he could have misinterpreted someone's speculation as fact.  It's also not unreasonable to assume that someone may have given Freund that advise, or that could have been Freund's reason for leaving, while at the same time Bubba and the athletic department wanted him to stay.  I do know for a fact that the athletic department wanted him to stay.

1 hour ago, SooToo said:

Not true with Danny.  It may work out that way sure

14 hours ago, petey23 said:

IYKYK

Shortcut home. Thompson exit, HWY 15 west past Northwood, North south on 32 through Aneta, Finley, Pillsbury and Oriska...last buidling on the left before jumping back on 94 and heading west.

FYP. ;)

And no, no, no ... down to ND 200, Mayville, Portland, west edge of Portland south to Clifford, then county highway west to Hope then ND 32 then south to Helmer's ... I mean Oriska. ;) 

48 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

FYP. ;)

And no, no, no ... down to ND 200, Mayville, Portland, west edge of Portland south to Clifford, then county highway west to Hope then ND 32 then south to Helmer's ... I mean Oriska. ;) 

I don't think that bar is open anymore. We drove by it in 2022 and it looked abandoned. :) 

54 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

FYP. ;)

Parents are from Northwood originally so was conditioned to this route. Not sure why I said North instead of south?

1 minute ago, petey23 said:

Parents are from Northwood originally so was conditioned to this route. Not sure why I said North instead of south?

I'll take the Northwood excuse, but going all the way to Aneta just to come back to Sharon? Why not drop to Hatton then over to Finley. Nice little pub at Golden Lake in the summers. ;) 

In my opinion the “good old boys club” isn’t a well organized group with regular meetings and minutes. In Bubba’s case it was a group of older former athletes who knew Bubba and supporters anchored by Bubba’s family.  They absolutely lobbied hard for Bubba’s hire.  I know that they talked to many people about supporting Bubba (which is their right) .  I can’t speak to how much sway they held with the AD but look at the results.  And a big selling point was that he is UND family and bleeds Sioux green.  

• Upvote 2