SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

If we count the COVID year, Bubba is 83-71 and 1-6 in the playoffs in his head coaching career across two different schools. 

How long do I have to have faith? He’s at 154 career games. Once he gets to 300 career games can I start judging him based on his mediocre  results and setting expectations accordingly?

• Like 2

If you took a poll right now, Bubba's approval rating would not be good. Would the majority of season ticket holders / fans want a change at head coach? Yes. I'm curious when things really shifted. You could feel it picking up steam the last couple years, but now it feels like a complete landslide. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, AJS said:

If you took a poll right now, Bubba's approval rating would not be good. Would the majority of season ticket holders / fans want a change at head coach? Yes. I'm curious when things really shifted. You could feel it picking up steam the last couple years, but now it feels like a complete landslide. 

UNI game this year?

• Upvote 4

One nice thing about the QB race for 2024 is that Landry will not have any preconceived notions on who "should" start based on when or why they were recruited.  I know that shouldn't have mattered even if Danny were the OC / QB coach, but I'm sure it is harder to remove yourself from rationale like who's been in the program longer, etc.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

UNI game this year?

Pretty much everything post-Bison.  Has to be one of the biggest falls from grace of a UND coach of any sport at any time.  He should have retired the week after Sac. St.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Dustin said:

One nice thing about the QB race for 2024 is that Landry will not have any preconceived notions on who "should" start based on when or why they were recruited.  I know that shouldn't have mattered even if Danny were the OC / QB coach, but I'm sure it is harder to remove yourself from rationale like who's been in the program longer, etc.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Probably goes for other positions too, but QB is of course the big one. 

37 minutes ago, Dustin said:

You are assuming the "love all things Jerry" fan club on here have not launch a campaign on Coach Landry.....

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, DL Sioux said:

So now we aren't counting the 2020 playoffs?

I for one will never count a season where football begins play in February and most teams don’t compete as legit.   Many team have recovery time during that stretch.  Recruiting.  Weights.  Coaching changes….etc…to prepare for the legit August start season.   So yes …I do not count the ridiculous covid year as legit.  If you and others would like too that’s fine by me. 

3 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

We've adopted the Fargo narrative that COVID had an out-sized impact on the FCS blue bloods versus the rest of the field, thus it should not count, or at the very least it should be referenced with an asterisk. Oh, and Trey Lance.

Honestly ..who gives a damn what the Fargo narrative is.    

• Upvote 3

Like I have said before, if this team fails to win a playoff game this year, Bubba needs to be fired.  With a year left on his contract, nothing justifies extending him if they don't win at least one playoff game.  We could all be surprised, but it's gonna be tough to win 7 games next year looking at the schedule given we will have a new QB and a new OC.

Not meaning to dog on the current state of the program, but it is what it is.  As the old saying goes, "You be positive, I'll be realistic"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Like I have said before, if this team fails to win a playoff game this year, Bubba needs to be fired.  With a year left on his contract, nothing justifies extending him if they don't win at least one playoff game.  We could all be surprised, but it's gonna be tough to win 7 games next year looking at the schedule given we will have a new QB and a new OC.

Not meaning to dog on the current state of the program, but it is what it is.  As the old saying goes, "You be positive, I'll be realistic"

I’m still more worried about the defense than I am with a new QB and OC. I honestly could see our offense having a good year but it won’t matter because our defense will be that bad.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

I’m still more worried about the defense than I am with a new QB and OC. I honestly could see our offense having a good year but it won’t matter because our defense will be that bad.

Hey, now that's piling on! :D  But unfortunately, you are right.

I'm okay with some of the fifth/sixth year guys moving on with their lives. We have some good recruiting years and those guys are ready to step up. There will be growing pains but the D has no where to go but up. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Fort entered portal

Screenshot_20240124_090208_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2cdd6a92e088a655bd36fb0edfb0a66b.jpg

63 tackles, 2 INT, and 5 passes defended.  2 and 5 seams low, no?  I really don't know.  Is there a ratio to expect for DB's or is that not really a thing?  (I literally don't have a clue)

If that is low, was that a player issue or scheme issue?

21 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Did I read that Joe and Landry coached together at some point? 

Both were at NIU for a few years together.
Pretty sure Joe also lived with Landry's parents for a bit when he first moved to Grand Forks, before he got his own place.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Roehl tontennnessee st

is this when we lose joe

To be OC for NDSU you mean? While we have liked Joe and has been good for the OL, I could be wrong but I'm not sure top level FCS teams would immediately have him as top on their list for an OC position. No offense to Joe and I sure hope he sticks around for a while, but I think they would be able to get someone more qualified. We didn't even hire him is our OC. 

• Upvote 1