SiouxSports.com Forum

Some Thoughts on UND's FB Program

UND Fan

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Okay hot shot, back off, you have no idea. 

Voicing my concerns about UND athletics leadership / philosophy AND supporting / contributing to UND football are not mutually exclusive. In fact, I am principled in that fidelity. Although, I doubt you are able to comprehend that at this point. 

Your complaining on here has done nothing productive and that’s a FACT. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Your complaining on here has done nothing productive and that’s a FACT. 

That’s not actually a fact (*see below), but my postings also aren’t intended to do anything major, or be instantly productive.  They sure have stirred up your psyche, however.

*fact

noun

ˈfakt 

Synonyms of fact

a: something that has actual existence

space exploration is now a fact

b: an actual occurrence

prove the fact of damage

: a piece of information presented as having objective reality

These are the hard facts of the case.

: the quality of being actual : ACTUALITY

a question of fact hinges on evidence

On 6/23/2023 at 2:20 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

You did read what I wrote, right?

“How does St Could State and Duluth out-compete the better funded UND year after year?

Since when Is SCSU out performing UND year after year? It’s not happening. Yes. They were better this season, but you might not have been paying attention lately. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/22/2023 at 2:38 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

“Ralph Engelstad Arena, a $110 million gift from her father to the university, was completed in 2001 as the new home to UND hockey. The arena, contracted to be turned over to UND in 2030, was just one topic of many discussed in a wide-ranging interview between McGarry and Forum News Service. McGarry requested the meeting.”

“According to her, Kennedy characterized the arrangement made between the university and her father, Ralph, as written to the benefit of the donor at the expense of UND.

“(He said) my dad made a bad deal when he first gave them this gift,” she said, a comment Kennedy said he doesn’t recall saying.

The school eventually retired the Sioux name and logo at the behest of the NCAA and now officially uses the Fighting Hawks nickname for its athletic teams. But the Sioux logo still remains in the Ralph, embedded in marble floors, and on seats and other fixtures.

Because of that, McGarry said, Kennedy has accused the family of “creating brand confusion” for the school, a charge she views as unfair.

source: https://bismarcktribune.com/i-want-to-see-him-do-his-job-kris-engelstad-mcgarry-describes-hostile-relationship-with/article_35608880-d9e5-5293-b78c-231b98677ae8.html

In 2018 and 2019, Engelstad spoke publicly about her strained relationship with Mark Kennedy, who at the time was UND's president. The Herald reported in 2019 that Engelstad said the foundation wouldn’t give direct funds to the university until Kennedy was no longer president, though it continued to support student scholarships and the hockey program. Kennedy left UND in May 2019.

Source: https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/north-dakota/engelstad-foundation-crosses-500-million-in-giving-kris-engelstad-hopes-to-strengthen-relationship-with-und

Kennedy was right. He knew what needed to be done to right the ship and help out football, and quite frankly make funding fair, but he was ousted due to public outcry, stirred up by Engelstad. When called out, though, they would still fund hockey, just nothing else, which is basically the current arrangement now that all is good again for the hockey moguls. You think the Engelstads walk on water too, I see. You’re easily convinced, but that’s no surprise. And I don’t find my desire to improve UND football hilarious, but thanks for posting your opinion, @siouxfan512. And as for numb comments by @jdub27, you think it’s a coincidence Kennedy left for Colorado in 2019? That’s the real hilarious piece in all of this. Ha! Ha! Ha! Why don’t you read up on some facts and get back to us. Thanks. Easily manipulated like the majority of GF was back in 2018-19 … shame, shame, shame. 

15 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Not sure how much they need either but how about we start with getting the 52% of ticket revenue that REA takes and give it back to the fb program to use. 

The info below is from a Herald article from 2018 but I don't think anything has changed.  I also believe Kennedy tried to change this and it's part of what got him in trouble with the KEM.   

Ticket revenues between UND and RE Arena Inc. are split, with RE Arena Inc. currently receiving 52 percent the revenues while UND receives the other 48 percent, according to the agreement.

Correct, see my post as per above. Kennedy was on the right track, but UND fans have been conditioned over the years to think inequality towards the minority sport of hockey is somehow the best path moving forward. Plot twist: it’s not. UND hockey is overinflated and overfunded. UND could do so much more with the 52% of ticket revenue that goes to the REA (and hockey essentially).  Basically, UND made a deal with the devil to allow a hockey mogul from Vegas indirectly run their athletic department. How in the hell is that a good idea? It definitely isn’t a good idea for football or basketball.

There’s also major bias at play in the community and on this forum, as the remaining UND fans are largely hockey fans. NDSU is/has pulled in the other casual football/basketball fans, unfortunately, of the region. A lot of UND fans from the 2000s have been converted. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

There’s also major bias at play in the community and on this forum, as the remaining UND fans are largely hockey fans. NDSU is/has pulled in the other casual football/basketball fans, unfortunately, of the region. At lot of UND fans from the 2000s have been converted. 

I will never be "converted" to the heretical "religion" of NDSU athletics. I was raised to be loyal to my teams, win or lose. It is nauseating to see how shallow some so-called "fans" are. :angry:

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I will never be "converted" to the heretical "religion" of NDSU athletics. I was raised to be loyal to my teams, win or lose. It is nauseating to see how shallow some so-called "fans" are. :angry:

Very few Grand Forks fans have converted to Bison fans.  However, go out a bit to the small towns and it is stunning.  What used to be a great rivalry for many towns with about a 50-50 split of fans is now about 90-10 Bison.  The main factor in my opinion is the lack of demand for excellence from the administration and AD department.  We are 85-79 for the last 15 years and have extended the current coach after a 5-6 year.  Bubba was 22-21 at Duluth and coming off a 4-6 season when we hired him.  In addition, the one shot we had at beating the Bison was pissed away by the most bizarre coaching call I have seen.  We seem content to just do more of the same.  Expect the same results.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Irish said:

The main factor in my opinion is the lack of demand for excellence from the administration and AD department.

Agreed. Can’t hold on to average coaches too long, and need more funding for football coaching salary pool. Additionally, the administration needs to spend more time on marketing and branding, along with age old rhetoric of game day experience. Additionally, hard for some to fathom, but hockey also takes up too much funding and time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Correct, see my post as per above. Kennedy was on the right track, but UND fans have been conditioned over the years to think inequality towards the minority sport of hockey is somehow the best path moving forward. Plot twist: it’s not. UND hockey is overinflated and overfunded. UND could do so much more with the 52% of ticket revenue that goes to the REA (and hockey essentially).  Basically, UND made a deal with the devil to allow a hockey mogul from Vegas indirectly run their athletic department. How in the hell is that a good idea? It definitely isn’t a good idea for football or basketball.

There’s also major bias at play in the community and on this forum, as the remaining UND fans are largely hockey fans. NDSU is/has pulled in the other casual football/basketball fans, unfortunately, of the region. A lot of UND fans from the 2000s have been converted. 

so true.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Goon said:

Since when Is SCSU out performing UND year after year? It’s not happening. Yes. They were better this season, but you might not have been paying attention lately. 

UND-FB-FAN…you are aware that SCSU cut their football program like ?2 years ago. A few years after the State of MN paid for a new football stadium (took down the WPA 1930s stadium).

On 6/25/2023 at 6:02 PM, Mama Sue said:

UND-FB-FAN…you are aware that SCSU cut their football program like ?2 years ago. A few years after the State of MN paid for a new football stadium (took down the WPA 1930s stadium).

Yes, and that’s relevant how? 
Did you also know UNO cut their football program in 2011?

20 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not choosing favorites here. I love both UND football and hockey and would like to see both be dominant programs. I would never sacrifice either one for the other and choose to support both. If I came into an absurd amount of money tomorrow, I would be happy to donate a bunch to football and build an on-campus stadium because hockey has already had that type of contribution. But it is as unrealistic for me as it is for most.

I'd love to see both programs succeed!

The funny thing is, reallocation actually would allow both sports to be great. And I’ve never said I want hockey to fail. If that’s what some are gathering from my perspective, then they’re just believing what they want to believe and failing to consider the big picture. Recycling funds into hockey year after year does not allow football to advance, though. That is the issue, but people are so caught up in protecting hockey; taking a small bit from hockey is incorrectly perceived as damaging hockey. Ultimately, what it comes down to is the benefit of reallocation to football outweighs any potential risk to hockey.  Overall, that means benefit to UND athletics, and UND as a whole.
Therefore that should be the hands-down decision in my opinion. Hockey will always have an $110M facility to fall back on - they will do just fine, but football would benefit. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

That is the issue, but people are so caught up in protecting hockey; taking a small bit from hockey is incorrectly perceived as damaging hockey. Ultimately, what it comes down to is the benefit of reallocation to football outweighs any potential risk to hockey.  Overall, that means benefit to UND athletics, and UND as a whole.

So who do you want a meeting with and when to tell them your ideas to improve things?

Multiple people have offered to get it set up for you and you keep ignoring it. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

So who do you want a meeting with and when to tell them your ideas to improve things?

No, he doesn’t have the balls to say most of this trash talk in person. That’s why he posts on here instead of actually doing something productive. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

2 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

No, he doesn’t have the balls to say most of this trash talk in person. That’s why he posts on here instead of actually doing something productive. 

Ha ! Ha! You two goons. The only thing less productive than anonymously posting on here is anonymously attacking some one on here! But, whatever makes you sleep at night!  My conversations occur here and, of course, well beyond here, but thanks for your concern! With that said, I ain’t changing sh*t by myself. The hockey-only culture runs deep at UND, and it’s a poison to comprehensive athletic department advancement. Slow but sure, it needs to change. 

On 6/27/2023 at 8:45 AM, jdub27 said:

Just want to make sure that is clear for everyone so we know that your priority is to actually complain, not be a part of any sort of solution to improve things (which every single person can agree needs to be done to one degree or another).

Wrong. You’re falsely propagating misinformation (propaganda). 

So, I just want to set the record straight that you’re not correct. I complain on here, but that is just the tip of the iceberg. I also have offered some potential solutions. There’s more where that came from. And if you think I’m simply leaving my thoughts and efforts on only this forum, then that’s hilarious (and wrong) 

Nice try - though. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1