SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

UND-SPORTS-FAN

27 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Could we start a separate GPAC forum for all the Jamestown College fans in attendance?  

They should start one at CSNBBS or similar and migrate.

If the GPAC is that good they'll build a base in no time. 

3 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

UND already has some non-conference opponents for 23-24, most of these are the return matchups from this year.

11/11 @ Pacific

12/9 Portland

12/20 @ Nebraska

@ Utah Tech

Elon

@ CS-Fullerton

Nice! Interested as to where you found that?

5 minutes ago, ZDosch said:

... the GPAC is good for a NAIA conference, but compared to D2 and D1 it's obviously behind. I don't think that's breaking any news ... 

In other breaking news, ND Class B boys basketball may be behind MN Class 4A. 

41 minutes ago, Kab said:

Somewhere the statistic is out there showing how many d1 programs this year were defeated by lower division basketball teams 

Happens every year. But it's another media member trying to push the D1 or nothing mindset. Jamestown and Mason Walters last year would have beat UND last year by 20+. Jamestown this year vs UND this year would have been a close game. Just because it isn't D1 doesn't mean it isn't good basketball. Zach played D2 at UMary. Who last time they played a GPAC team they lost. UMary also lost to an NAIA team last year. But don't worry, "compared to D2 and D1, NAIA is obviously behind". Not sure what point he is trying to make here. 

Again, for a media person that has influence in this forum and is supposed to be in the know, it is another bad take on his part. He's making all of us basketball analysts look bad. 

17 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Happens every year. But it's another media member trying to push the D1 or nothing mindset. Jamestown and Mason Walters last year would have beat UND last year by 20+. Jamestown this year vs UND this year would have been a close game. Just because it isn't D1 doesn't mean it isn't good basketball. Zach played D2 at UMary. Who last time they played a GPAC team they lost. UMary also lost to an NAIA and a D3 team last year. But don't worry, "compared to D2 and D1, NAIA is obviously behind". Not sure what point he is trying to make here. 

Again, for a media person that has influence in this forum and is supposed to be in the know, it is another bad take on his part. He's making all of us basketball analysts look bad. 

So when you say “this is my last post …on this subject” — That’s really code for “hold my beer”?  LOL!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ZDosch said:

Right, I thought it was obvious, but clearly, it rubbed some people the wrong way.

Yea, I think some people took it as it’s a bad NAIA conference and a bad conference in general. It’s still good basketball, but like you said, obviously way below D1 and D2. 

2 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

So when you say “this is my last post …on this subject” — That’s really code for “hold my beer”?  LOL!

You're right. I went against my word that it was my last post! I apologize for that! Now this is my last post on this topic! LOL!

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Jamestown and Mason Walters last year would have beat UND last year by 20+. Jamestown this year vs UND this year would have been a close game.

I mean, those are your opinions right? Because they definitely can't be proven?Something others could call dumb or blatantly false? Or call an uneducated, lazy take? Or even an insanely bad take? Did I get all the adjectives in there?

For the record, for 2022, Massey shows UND with a 69% win probability on a neutral court and 76% win probability in Grand Forks. The odds of a 20 point or greater Jamestown win comes out at 2.5%.
For 2023, it shows as 72% and 79% with a 7-10 point margin of victory.

Which tells me, maybe the first part of your comment is just a bit of hyperbole....:wink:

• Upvote 2

Top team in GPAC vs top team in NSIC - GPAC gets smoked. 
Bottom team in GPAC vs bottom team in NSIC - GPAC gets smoked. 
Top team in GPAC vs bottom team in NSIC - competitive game

Top team in NSIC vs top team in Summit - NSIC gets smoked. 
Bottom team in NSIC vs bottom team in summit - NSIC team gets smoked. 
Top team in NSIC vs bottom team in summit - competitive game. 

nothing to see here and I am an analyst as well. 

3 minutes ago, DL Sioux said:

Bottom Line:  Mason Walters may want to move on for his final season and would be a huge get for UND.  We just have to figure out how to get him to drive past NDSU and Boden Skunberg!

the real question becomes play with friends (Skunberg) at NDSU or honor family ties at UND & a coach on the hot seat

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kab said:

Don’t know who Mason is

6'9" 225lb post player at University of Jamestown...averages 26 and 10 right now for a Jimmies team in the national tournament.  Played high school ball with Boden Skunberg and was extremely good.  IMO he absolutely could have played at a higher level out of high school but stayed home and has really been a great player for UJ.

We can debate whether the GPAC is a good conference until the cows come home...Wolters would absolutely help UND get better.  Would he average 26/10...no...but he would be a true back to the basket physical post presence with good athleticism.  I'm not holding my breath we get him but it sure would be a feather in our caps...

Also by all accounts he's a great kid.  He'll have his degree I believe from UJ...and he has a few local NIL deals in Jamestown...the community has always been very supportive of him from what I can see.  He's paid it back with his play.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Top team in GPAC vs top team in NSIC - GPAC gets smoked. 
Bottom team in GPAC vs bottom team in NSIC - GPAC gets smoked. 
Top team in GPAC vs bottom team in NSIC - competitive game

Top team in NSIC vs top team in Summit - NSIC gets smoked. 
Bottom team in NSIC vs bottom team in summit - NSIC team gets smoked. 
Top team in NSIC vs bottom team in summit - competitive game. 

nothing to see here and I am an analyst as well. 

My niece plays on the womens team at UJ which is one reason I follow the GPAC and know about how strong the conference is. But I saw their men’s team had scrimmaged Northen and Morhead. She said the men lost both by around 5 points but that UJ had beat Morhead last year in 2 scrimmages. I know it is only a scrimmage but still interesting to see how the top GPAC team against the top NSIC team did not “get smoked”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, McBuckets said:

My niece plays on the womens team at UJ which is one reason I follow the GPAC and know about how strong the conference is. But I saw their men’s team had scrimmaged Northen and Morhead. She said the men lost both by around 5 points but that UJ had beat Morhead last year in 2 scrimmages. I know it is only a scrimmage but still interesting to see how the top GPAC team against the top NSIC team did not “get smoked”

Jamestown women very good this year. Maybe “smoked” was a bit harsh. How about win 9 out of 10 times?

5 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Jamestown women very good this year. Maybe “smoked” was a bit harsh. How about win 9 out of 10 times?

Yep they are. It was actually the men’s team that scrimmaged them though. Its fun to see how talented these non D1 teams around us our. Just proves their are quality basketball teams and players at all levels.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2