SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

UND-SPORTS-FAN

I think we’ve all heard enough about the GPAC for a while. Besides Mason Walters does anyone have some other names of transfers UND should be looking at? More names will come out next week with the portal but just curious what everyone was thinking 

2 minutes ago, McBuckets said:

I think we’ve all heard enough about the GPAC for a while. Besides Mason Walters does anyone have some other names of transfers UND should be looking at? More names will come out next week with the portal but just curious what everyone was thinking 

Treyton Thompson from the Gophers is someone I had my eye on. No clue if he will transfer but wouldn’t shock me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Mods, how about this proposal: if a person overuses the 'downvote' can the be banished for the rest of their existence on earth?

A wee-tad, skosh, hair-over lil'-bit zealous on the ol' sanction there I'd say ... 

... unless they are also in violation of a forum Guideline, for example: "No deceptive use of multiple usernames."

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-SPORTS-FAN said:

the real question becomes play with friends (Skunberg) at NDSU or honor family ties at UND & a coach on the hot seat

He only has one year left correct?  

edit: by he I mean Walters

5 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Treyton Thompson from the Gophers is someone I had my eye on. No clue if he will transfer but wouldn’t shock me. 

Might give UND an advantage over over Summit teams for his younger brother. 

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Sather isn’t on a hot seat other than the imagined one created by some on this board. He is safe. 

He wasn’t on the hot seat when he was something like 2-23 in a 25 game conference stretch? 
In all seriousness I don’t care if Paul Sather or Santa Claus is the head coach. We’ve finished 6th, 5th , 10th, and 9th in the conference the last 4 years. Those results in an average to probably below average conference are not good. Maybe next year is the year we make a huge jump. Seems like there will be a lot of turnover in teams rosters next year. I’m sure the SU’s, ORU, and St Thomas will be at the top. I will be disappointed if we are not amongst that group.  As always I will be at most home games and look forward to traveling to a handful of away games. I’m already looking forward to going down to Lincoln once again! 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, McBuckets said:

Jacksen Moni from Northern State would be a good pickup if he were to enter the portal. His 3 point % took a dip this year which could be a concern 

29 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

He wasn’t on the hot seat when he was something like 2-23 in a 25 game conference stretch? 
In all seriousness I don’t care if Paul Sather or Santa Claus is the head coach. We’ve finished 6th, 5th , 10th, and 9th in the conference the last 4 years. Those results in an average to probably below average conference are not good. Maybe next year is the year we make a huge jump. Seems like there will be a lot of turnover in teams rosters next year. I’m sure the SU’s, ORU, and St Thomas will be at the top. I will be disappointed if we are not amongst that group.  As always I will be at most home games and look forward to traveling to a handful of away games. I’m already looking forward to going down to Lincoln once again! 

Good points. I’m not commenting on the struggles, I’m just commenting that he isn’t going anywhere right now regardless of how we feel. It was a response to the comment about recruits considering coming to a school where a coach is on the “hot seat”.  

21 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Jacksen Moni from Northern State would be a good pickup if he were to enter the portal. His 3 point % took a dip this year which could be a concern 

Moni would be another tough battle to get but we have to win some of those. I’ve heard many NDSU fans hoping for him too. 

1 minute ago, sioux24/7 said:

Moni would be another tough battle to get but we have to win some of those. I’ve heard many NDSU fans hoping for him too. 

Hypothetically if Walters, Moni, and Thompson all end up in the portal, I would think both schools would be interested in all 3. List would go Walters, Thompson, Moni? 

5 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Good points. I’m not commenting on the struggles, I’m just commenting that he isn’t going anywhere right now regardless of how we feel. It was a response to the comment about recruits considering coming to a school where a coach is on the “hot seat”.  

And with how the season ended I think Sather earned a short term extension. Hopefully we can come out a net positive from the portal this year. 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Hypothetically if Walters, Moni, and Thompson all end up in the portal, I would think both schools would be interested in all 3. List would go Walters, Thompson, Moni? 

Walters is that good where he would be your top priority? Genuine question as I’ve never seen him just have seen stats. The other two have additional years of eligibility so that would elevate them in my book. 

8 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

His role probably won't get any bigger but he loves Minnesota. The decision for him will be does he want to play or is alright with being a very small role guy/maybe not getting any minutes for games at a time but being at the program he loves.

9 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

His role probably won't get any bigger but he loves Minnesota. The decision for him will be does he want to play or is alright with being a very small role guy/maybe not getting any minutes for games at a time but being at the program he loves.

Did he get hurt or just fall out of the rotation this last month?

10 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Walters is that good where he would be your top priority? Genuine question as I’ve never seen him just have seen stats. The other two have additional years of eligibility so that would elevate them in my book. 

I would say of those 3 listed, yes. I think UND would have the best chance to actually land Mason out of the 3 listed. Not sure if Thompson or Moni will even look to transfer this year. We know Mason is in the portal for sure this year. 

10 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I think for one season he would be the top guy. Maybe two years of the other guys would be a better plan. I think Mason is considered the best player in the NAIA. As a sophomore he held his own against a 7 footer named EJ Onu from Shawnee State. EJ has played the last several years in the G League and received serious draft consideration. Last years NAIA national champion had guys transfer to Ole Miss and Marquette. Hard to judge where exactly Mason falls but the last couple of years the top NAIA players have been able to play at a pretty high level. 

• Upvote 1

It is hilarious that a few people judge the recruits that Sather has brought in and say we don't have a D1 hoops team, and then the next thing you know they want our top priority to be a NAIA transfer...

Mason Walters is a good basketball player and if he wants to come to UND you take him.. If he wants to go anywhere else you wish him luck.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1