SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

UND-SPORTS-FAN

It’s hard to assume what’s going to happen but let’s just say it goes our way this offseason and our main 7 contributors return. We could be in business.

- ORU likely won’t return their main guys, although they could which is scary. 
- SDSU will lose Dentlinger, Arians and Appel (he didn’t play this year anyways) and who knows a bigger school could poach Zeke. 
- NDSU could return really everyone so they could be scary. It really all depends on Nelson. As the forum so wisely pointed out he’s down to 3 options: enter the draft, go to a P5 or stay. 
- WIU loses Massner and Rosner. Huge holes to fill. 
- UST depends a lot on if Rohde stays. He’s a super special talent. 
- USD sounds like they could see a major overhaul but just Hayes and Archambault are out of eligibility. Think Plitzuweit, KPH and Kamateros could be gone as well. 

I could touch on the others as well but they’re not as big of a worry, in my mind. I suppose Omaha can keep building with Fidler. 

My whole point of going through all those teams is that there‘s certainly room to climb the stands and do it quickly. These teams in front of us have a lot of questions as well. A whole lot of what ifs but the path is there. Just trying to put some optimism out there.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Kab said:

Is Chaves in Sioux Falls ?

Be here and you would know. UND hosted a nice social room before each game. Lots of happy players parents chatting and enjoying time with each other and fans. Need more fans here in person rather than wringing hands about the portal from their armchair.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Be here and you would know. UND hosted a nice social room before each game. Lots of happy players parents chatting and enjoying time with each other and fans. Need more fans here in person rather than wringing hands about the portal from their armchair.

A 5 days long (!) conference tourney ain’t necessarily working class friendly time and money-wise unless you happen to live in eastern S.D. Do it all on a wknd though (like the NCHC) and  a bit more manageable for fans out of state but that will not happen though cus of tv dollars forked out for a week night Conf Tourney final game. 

9 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Would be there but 2000 miles is a bit far to travel

Here are a couple key things that need to be addressed for next season if UND wants to be competitive in the Summit next year. (In no particular order, assuming we keep our current main players)

1. Need to get a legit 5 man. Someone that can protect the paint/rim. Would prefer a long, lob catcher/shot blocker (I know that is hard to get at this level but has to be a transfer out there that can get the job done. Doesn't have to be super skilled.) If we can't get a player like that, get Mason Walters.
  2. Need to find another PG. Whether that be a solid backup or someone to compete with Trent for the starting spot. We need another PG that can play on the roster.
  3. New motion offense. The current motion offense is bad to say the least. No flow, bad spacing, setting double pin downs for guys like Danielson or Trent, doesn't allow the type of players we have on the roster to be very effective at what they do best. Gets minimal good looks. Need a new motion offense.
  4. 0 high hedging next year. There is a reason high hedging is becoming extinct in high level basketball. Get rid of it.

Some of the main areas that need to be addressed looking forward to next season in my opinion. Hoping for a smooth off-season!! 

11 hours ago, GDPritch said:

A 5 days long (!) conference tourney ain’t necessarily working class friendly time and money-wise unless you happen to live in eastern S.D. Do it all on a wknd though (like the NCHC) and  a bit more manageable for fans out of state but that will not happen though cus of tv dollars forked out for a week night Conf Tourney final game. 

agreed....this tourney in SF is too long....favors usd and sdsu...need these games on campus

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

agreed....this tourney in SF is too long....favors usd and sdsu...need these games on campus

Never going to happen.

All session passes for the whole week are nearly sold out a month in advance. They don't care who it favors... and only the SDSU men are still alive in the Semi's anyways so that argument is null and void. 

If it goes to campuses then you will get the schools complain that they have to figure out a way to get to Macomb on a Wednesday. No format is perfect.. but this format makes money for the league...

Summit league isn't going to move off this format.

• Upvote 1

At least in Sioux  Falls the crowds are good

big sky can’t compete with the crowds 

with 10 teams it would be tough to do campus games with not knowing where the next game is going to be

rotate GF, Fargo, SF and Omaha

That should piss off ORU coach 

39 minutes ago, ZDosch said:

Now that the season's over, I thought I would stop by to see what you all are talking about. I'll stay out of the other treads as it looks like the conversation is deteriorating.

Right now, the main question is how do you operate a successful mid-major basketball program with limited resources and university support? I hope it's clear that Sather's ability to coach and develop players is actually second to none. The difference between the first half of the year to the second should clearly illustrate that if the roster is good, this team will be great. Maintaining and building a roster is definitely more of a university and athletic department endeavor than it was before. Plus, serendipity is a huge factor whether we like to believe it is or not. Changing coaches doesn't affect the issues affecting UND right now.

Sather will be back next year barring something very unexpected and I expect UND to have a couple of extra scholarships to fill this spring which isn't necessarily a bad thing because there are way more players than there are spots especially if they can keep the core intact. Herbst was brought in to find players and he will finally have the opportunity to do so right now. 

Also, we could see massive turnover in the league. I think USD will likely lose all 5 starters, Grant Nelson's gone, Andrew Rohde should be gone, WIU's backcourt is gone, I'd be very surprised if Mayo isn't gone, who knows what is left at ORU after Mills leaves, and KC's backcourt is gone. So what's left that really scares you? NDSU could have a nice squad if everybody outside of Nelson returns. 

Even if UND has an unexpected departure, don't panic. This is the new normal so what you look for is a net positive transfer season and that could be assembled in many different ways especially if the majority of the starters return. It's pretty easy to pain the picture of why it was very beneficial to Fidler, Mayo, Nelson, Abmas, etc to stay, play, and produce at a high level at least until they graduate or they are an all-conference type of player and why transfers like Ihenacho, Bruns, Sims, etc haven't worked out. If a kid wants to flake, it's better they go because even though their talent can be enticing, they aren't made of the stuff it takes to truly do something special so don't worry about it. Let the roster churn a bit, keep bringing in high-quality players, and eventually, you'll find a combination that clicks. Besides, UND can't have the worst luck of all time forever. 

Great post.

1 hour ago, ZDosch said:

Now that the season's over, I thought I would stop by to see what you all are talking about. I'll stay out of the other treads as it looks like the conversation is deteriorating.

Right now, the main question is how do you operate a successful mid-major basketball program with limited resources and university support? I hope it's clear that Sather's ability to coach and develop players is actually second to none. The difference between the first half of the year to the second should clearly illustrate that if the roster is good, this team will be great. Maintaining and building a roster is definitely more of a university and athletic department endeavor than it was before. Plus, serendipity is a huge factor whether we like to believe it is or not. Changing coaches doesn't affect the issues affecting UND right now.

Sather will be back next year barring something very unexpected and I expect UND to have a couple of extra scholarships to fill this spring which isn't necessarily a bad thing because there are way more players than there are spots especially if they can keep the core intact. Herbst was brought in to find players and he will finally have the opportunity to do so right now. 

Also, we could see massive turnover in the league. I think USD will likely lose all 5 starters, Grant Nelson's gone, Andrew Rohde should be gone, WIU's backcourt is gone, I'd be very surprised if Mayo isn't gone, who knows what is left at ORU after Mills leaves, and KC's backcourt is gone. So what's left that really scares you? NDSU could have a nice squad if everybody outside of Nelson returns. 

Even if UND has an unexpected departure, don't panic. This is the new normal so what you look for is a net positive transfer season and that could be assembled in many different ways especially if the majority of the starters return. It's pretty easy to pain the picture of why it was very beneficial to Fidler, Mayo, Nelson, Abmas, etc to stay, play, and produce at a high level at least until they graduate or they are an all-conference type of player and why transfers like Ihenacho, Bruns, Sims, etc haven't worked out. If a kid wants to flake, it's better they go because even though their talent can be enticing, they aren't made of the stuff it takes to truly do something special so don't worry about it. Let the roster churn a bit, keep bringing in high-quality players, and eventually, you'll find a combination that clicks. Besides, UND can't have the worst luck of all time forever. 

Thanks for posting.  I trust your prospective.  Sather has some green freshman that really grew up second part of the season.

instead of the tourney at SF..

top 2 seeds get byes to semi's and the top seed hosts 3 game tourney on campus ( byes oral roberts and SDSU and ORU hosts)

the next two seeds (3 and 4) host a 4 team 3 game tourney on campus (NDSU and ST Thomas hosts)

or punish the bottom 2 teams (8 teams make tourney) and have the seeds 3 and 4 host a 3 team 2 game tourney with the host seeds getting a bye to the second round? (ndsu and st thomas hosts and get first round byes)

40 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

instead of the tourney at SF..

top 2 seeds get byes to semi's and the top seed hosts 3 game tourney on campus ( byes oral roberts and SDSU and ORU hosts)

the next two seeds (3 and 4) host a 4 team 3 game tourney on campus (NDSU and ST Thomas hosts)

or punish the bottom 2 teams (8 teams make tourney) and have the seeds 3 and 4 host a 3 team 2 game tourney with the host seeds getting a bye to the second round? (ndsu and st thomas hosts and get first round byes)

It's not broke. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, CMSioux said:

It's not broke. 

yes it is...college sports are meant to be played on campus

post season tourney should be all about getting your best TEAM into the tournament and then make some noise.  oral roberts should be hosting this tourney not essentially south dakota state every year.