SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

UND-SPORTS-FAN

I know this is going to be a take not liked by many, but I don't like Danielson coming back for a 5th year. I think this could be a case scenario where a guy coming back for a 5th year could actually harm the growth of the team and especially the growth of the talented young guys that we have.

Danielson returning is taking up 30+ minutes a game that should be going to guys like Eaglestaff, Brooks, and Omot to continue to grow and develop. He had a great year last year, I think that is his ceiling and I don't see him getting exponentially better. It's time to move on and allow our young guys to get those minutes and continue to grow and take on bigger roles. 

If Danielson is wanted for his leadership, then ask him to stay another year as a graduate assistant and lead that way. I know it would be a tough decision for Sather to make but sometimes you have to make those tough decisions as a coach in order for your team to grow and take that next step. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Maybe his minutes will be lessened some, not to the extent that Sueker's were, but maybe 15-20 total?  

Possibly. Would be smart in my opinion! I've seen this exact same scenario first hand and it really can hurt the growth of young guys ready to take on that bigger role. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I know this is going to be a take not liked by many, but I don't like Danielson coming back for a 5th year. I think this could be a case scenario where a guy coming back for a 5th year could actually harm the growth of the team and especially the growth of the talented young guys that we have.

Danielson returning is taking up 30+ minutes a game that should be going to guys like Eaglestaff, Brooks, and Omot to continue to grow and develop. He had a great year last year, I think that is his ceiling and I don't see him getting exponentially better. It's time to move on and allow our young guys to get those minutes and continue to grow and take on bigger roles. 

If Danielson is wanted for his leadership, then ask him to stay another year as a graduate assistant and lead that way. I know it would be a tough decision for Sather to make but sometimes you have to make those tough decisions as a coach in order for your team to grow and take that next step. 

I don’t see him getting 30 plus minutes again. Would think the 15-20 range would be perfect and ideal if they are able to hit on their transfers this offseason.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I don't see how it's a problem unless Sather is going to give him playing time that he doesn't deserve.  If other guys are better than him, they should play.  If he was coming off the bench, you wouldn't really have a problem with that, would you?  Also, his commitment to the program is important, because the youngers guys likely look up to him and learn a lot about life from him.  It's important that UND builds a better culture and is a place that feels like home, rather than a pit stop.. that's part of the solution to what has been a terrible transfer issue within the program.

I would say he got more playing time than he deserved last season. Me and others have always said he is a 10 minutes per game type of player. A spark plug off the bench. Not a 30+ minute per game starter.

If he plays the same minutes he did last year that isn't good for the growth of the program and their most talented players. He is clearly Sather's favorite player and Sather will put his job in Brady's hands for another year. There is no debating that. I hope it works out for the programs sake! 

44 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Also, his commitment to the program is important, because the youngers guys likely look up to him and learn a lot about life from him

Is this even true?? He wasn't picked as a captain this past season. I'm assuming the players vote for captains and UND's captains this year were Jalun Trent and Caleb Nero...... that speaks volumes

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Is this even true?? He wasn't picked as a captain this past season. I'm assuming the players vote for captains and UND's captains this year were Jalun Trent and Caleb Nero...... that speaks volumes

You're probably right.  What I'm trying to say though is that we don't wan't the atmosphere in the locker room to be like that of a Juco, with guys talking about where they think they will be playing the next year, etc.  We wan't guys to be thinking about how the team can build and be better the following year.  The more of that there is, especially from older players, the better, whether or not they are a captain.

I agree with where you're coming from in regard to his playing time next year, though.  I think it's unfair though to say the team will be worse if he comes back, because you would be skipping over the issue, which would be undeserved playing time.  I think he absolutely makes the team better if he comes back and has a decent chunk of playing time off the bench.

I don't know much about basketball stats, but maybe this is worth looking at as well.  Biggest issue with him is that he doesn't create fouls or rebound well enough.  Using him to come off the bench and get some 3 help would be ideal.  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/north-dakota/men/2023.html

Anyone else notice how well elijah brooks shot the ball this year?  How much will he be a factor next year?  Bigger role or no?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Yeah it speaks volumes who stands at half court and listens to the BS garbage officials talk about 12 minutes prior to tip.

"Captains" might be the most overrated term in college basketball..

No one needs to "vote" on captains... I think anyone watching a UND game for the first time can see who one of the leaders of the team is and that is Brady.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

I agree with where you're coming from in regard to his playing time next year, though.  I think it's unfair though to say the team will be worse if he comes back, because you would be skipping over the issue, which would be undeserved playing time.  I think he absolutely makes the team better if he comes back and has a decent chunk of playing time off the bench.

Sorry if what I was saying came across wrong. I'm not saying the team will for sure be worse now that he is coming back. I was just trying to bring up the point that I've seen it before where a player comes back for a Covid year and then it stunts the growth of the team but especially the growth of younger players that are looking to take that next step and step into bigger roles.

I would have liked to see Eaglestaff and Brooks take all the minutes Brady played last year and both step into bigger roles and continue to develop. I highly doubt Sather plays Brady any less or in any less of a role. That could hinder the growth of younger players. That's all I was trying to say.

10 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Sorry if what I was saying came across wrong. I'm not saying the team will for sure be worse now that he is coming back. I was just trying to bring up the point that I've seen it before where a player comes back for a Covid year and then it stunts the growth of the team but especially the growth of younger players that are looking to take that next step and step into bigger roles.

I would have liked to see Eaglestaff and Brooks take all the minutes Brady played last year and both step into bigger roles and continue to develop. I highly doubt Sather plays Brady any less or in any less of a role. That could hinder the growth of younger players. That's all I was trying to say.

Yeah, it's got to be hard to manage the development part of team building these days when so many guys transfer out as often as they do.  Might as well get your couple years out of them when they're older and play the guys that are currently better but have a lower ceiling.  Healthy balance is obviously ideal though, like with everything.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Thanks for your humble spirit and for disagreeing without being disagreeable.  Makes for good Message Board discussion!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 3/29/2023 at 9:16 AM, Kab said:

Sources and pictures 

On 3/29/2023 at 9:22 AM, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Bill Chaves pod

This link takes you to the part in the pod where he talks about it.  Doesn't sound like the addition for extra practice space is happening anytime soon. 

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/53-hawk-talk-100915705/episode/bill-chaves-pod_ep-130-111759642/?cmp=android_share&sc=android_social_share&position=745&autoplay=true&pr=false

I wouldn't worry about playing time one way or another what i would like to see all these players earning time on the court. To me that means there improving by competition. My question Matt Norman is leaving the program what his plan is moving forward does he have landing spot or is he just done with basketball. His only offer from D-I was from us and he had good year but he has limited role and he would probably not be featured like we had him shooting the three. He has offensive abilities but his defense at best is not good and he's between guard and small forward and his quickness with his feet is not there to make up for his size. yet i think he had roll he could have played here and i wonder what his future holds for him. I my guess is he's playing DII basketball for talented program next year.

17 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I wouldn't worry about playing time one way or another what i would like to see all these players earning time on the court. To me that means there improving by competition. My question Matt Norman is leaving the program what his plan is moving forward does he have landing spot or is he just done with basketball. His only offer from D-I was from us and he had good year but he has limited role and he would probably not be featured like we had him shooting the three. He has offensive abilities but his defense at best is not good and he's between guard and small forward and his quickness with his feet is not there to make up for his size. yet i think he had roll he could have played here and i wonder what his future holds for him. I my guess is he's playing DII basketball for talented program next year.

He is done with hoops.