SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

UND-SPORTS-FAN

So in looking at the landscape of the Summit right now (not the order I would pick it and won't put UND in here):

-SDSU:  Should be the favorite coming in, Mayo frontrunner for POY, a stud sophomore in Kyle III, Mohs and the Wyo transfer should give them an interesting frontcourt.

-NDSU:  Nelson loss is huge but will have an impressive backcourt coming back.  Big question will be the tandem of Morgan and Feddersen down low.   Should still be in the conversation for the top spot.

-UST: Losing Rohde hurts.  If they have kept him, we might be having a serious discussion about UST being a preseason favorite.  Bjerke should be a heavy favorite to win FPOY.  Blue will continue to grow as a guard and Lee still have great potential down low.  Tauer will coach this group to a finish probably higher than the expects predict. 

-ORU: Mills gone, Vanover gone, Abmas gone.  A lot of firepower gone from this squad.  Still have McBride and Thompson to make life difficult for teams.  Enough of a recent pedigree to think that they will still battle for a spot near the top next year. 

-Omaha:  This could be a sneaky good team next year.  Young team that took their lumps but have a lot of talented pieces.  Fidler is a stud, Glover has a ton of potential, Jungers can really stretch it out for them.  How far can they climb is the question.  Are they ready to take a jump or two next year? Or are they still a year away?

-USD: Decks have been cleared after a dissapointing first season under Peterson.  Team is defintely bigger. Will have the Bruns Bros to build off of. They are the biggest mystery in the conference right now.  They certainly can bounce back and get back in the thick of things.

-KC/DU:  They are both in the same boat, rebuilding projects. KC will still be a not fun team to play based on their style.  DU was wrecked by injuries, stupid life decisions, and transfers, so they will be starting from scratch yet again.

As I look, while there will be some tough teams, there isn't a world-beater out there this year in the Summit.  No one should be running the table this year.  It will make for an interesting conference season.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if danielson gets close to 20 minutes a game we will be right in the middle to the bottom of the summit...............again.

The bottom this year is going to be bad... especially if KC has the growing pains DU will go through.  If WIU was still in the league, it would be even worse. 

22 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The bottom this year is going to be bad... especially if KC has the growing pains DU will go through.  If WIU was still in the league, it would be even worse. 

You’re telling me it’s possible for KC and Denver to be worse this year? I still can’t believe how bad they were in the Betty last year. For a team that finished last in the conference, I was impressed with Omaha. They won a game in Sioux Falls and gave SDSU all they wanted in the Quarterfinals. 

1 hour ago, GoodGood said:

You’re telling me it’s possible for KC and Denver to be worse this year? I still can’t believe how bad they were in the Betty last year. For a team that finished last in the conference, I was impressed with Omaha. They won a game in Sioux Falls and gave SDSU all they wanted in the Quarterfinals. 

Yes.

So lets run a though exercise here:  Say the denial happens. 

-You still have King, who will get the bulk of the minutes at the point, but after that looks dicey.  Perhaps a direction to look at would be Eaglestaff running the show when King is not on the floor.  Maybe this is an area where Brooks can carve out a role for himself as well.  It becomes a big concern now, espeically should anything happen to King, however it isn't fatal.  I am guessing it is now far too late into the game to bring someone in that could help at this position. 

-The decision of Trent to transfer would really look like a big loss.  If Trent was still around, these issues at the point would pretty much be moot.

-A silver lining: This would give Ihenacho a chance to heal up his body from injuries the last two years at JMU and get in lots of training.

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

-You still have King, who will get the bulk of the minutes at the point, but after that looks dicey.  Perhaps a direction to look at would be Eaglestaff running the show when King is not on the floor.  Maybe this is an area where Brooks can carve out a role for himself as well.  It becomes a big concern now, espeically should anything happen to King, however it isn't fatal.  I am guessing it is now far too late into the game to bring someone in that could help at this position. 

-The decision of Trent to transfer would really look like a big loss.  If Trent was still around, these issues at the point would pretty much be moot.

-A silver lining: This would give Ihenacho a chance to heal up his body from injuries the last two years at JMU and get in lots of training.

I was told by someone on here that UND does not need a point guard because they do not run any plays. Straight motion offense that anyone on the roster can get us into when in the half court. Hence why Brady Danielson got to start at the point one game. I think we all remember (or want to forget!!) how that went. 
Now because that is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard, I agree that the point guard position (especially backup minutes) could be an issue. Both the eye test and the numbers backup there being a drop off when Trent was not running the offense. Someone is going to have to step up. Excited to see who it is!!    :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

PG play is going to be a HUGE issue without Tyree being able to go. I still believe shooting is going to be a HUGE issue next season as well. The loss of both Trent and Norman is going to be bigger than many people believed or want to believe. We will miss both of them greatly.

Like you said, I'm guessing it is too late to bring anyone in that will make any sort of an impact for either of those two areas. Like @GoodGood said, another poster once told us that we don't need a PG and that it is so easy anybody can do it, so we shouldn't be worried at all :D:D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

PG play is going to be a HUGE issue without Tyree being able to go. I still believe shooting is going to be a HUGE issue next season as well. The loss of both Trent and Norman is going to be bigger than many people believed or want to believe. We will miss both of them greatly.

Like you said, I'm guessing it is too late to bring anyone in that will make any sort of an impact for either of those two areas. Like @GoodGood said, another poster once told us that we don't need a PG and that it is so easy anybody can do it, so we shouldn't be worried at all :D:D

Oh, I think Norman is going to be a big loss for UND.  Maybe others can fill part of that role.  But, pure shooter is missing.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, FSSD said:

Oh, I think Norman is going to be a big loss for UND.  Maybe others can fill part of that role.  But, pure shooter is missing.

Norman will be a sizeable loss. Treysen is really the only one on the roster that will play that has a pure stroke.

21 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

You're right, we will miss Jalun's point guard play, where he entered to the wing and then stood on the baseline on the dunker spot.

1 minute ago, dmksioux said:

The D1 docket websites has been updated.  Not sure if we are still looking for games or not.  A few if the games still need the date finalized. Non-conference D1 home games appear to be Portland, Elon and Northern Colorado.  

2951F2AC-7100-4290-A41C-5D2038930EAD.png

They probably are still chasing two non-conference games due to the departure of WIU.  Unless they will fill them with non-d1s.

Was worried that the BSC-Summit Challenge might have been scrapped due to said departure, but there hasn't been any news one way or the other (or what adjustments need to be made for squads who were going to play WIU on the BSC side of things..

He looks gooooodddd.

If he can show that he can hit that 3 point shot with consistency this year and can be around an 80% free throw shooter... he will at least be on a 1st team All-Summit team this year and could be a sleeper Summit League POY candidate... and UND will finish in the top 3 of the standings

Most important:  UND has something in a player they haven't had since Q/Geno.  A player that has IT and can make THAT play you need to win a game on both ends of the floor. 

• Upvote 2