SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

UND-SPORTS-FAN

19 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

No defiantly, T really improved and is a good player to have. His ability to space the floor allowed us to play other players who couldn't shoot. He just isn't much of a presence on defense. I think they'll have to find a 4 in the portal and I don't think Walters is that. I'm interested in seeing what type of player they go after to fill that spot. 

If Walters wants to come here I say go and get him.

I think that former players should limit their response on UND especially if they have been gone from the program several years. It serves them no real purpose and they should be concerned on things where they are now. Second speaking badly about somebody can come back hurt you later in your travels of life because your future boss or potential boss may think differently could cut off opportunities in the future. I don’t know all externals between the players and coaches here and nearly all people on this board don’t know either. I think there have been mistakes made on both sides but reality is was probably better for both parties to go separate ways. I for the most part think most fans hold no deep resentment against players and wish them well. I think Sather came up in old school where basically coaches had most of power over their players and if you bucked system to much you paid price by sitting year and having hard time to find a new home. This has all changed since Sather has been hired and this has been big learning curve for all coaches. This change in situation was reflected by Sather’s end of season comments, when he said he would love to coach this group of players again next year. This statement reflected how much change has occurred in college game in last few years and why number of the old school coaches are choosing to retire. It was always hard for coaches to get players to buy into what they were trying to teach them and now I believe it’s nearly impossible to do so. The other side of this many of coaches abused their power before and is the reason for the changes we have today. I also think to many of the players believe they are going to be stars and become professional players and fact is only very select few are ever going to see that. The players that are taking advantage of playing college  sport developing themselves for career that will improve their lives and opening doors for them rest of their lives are true winners. I think now college sports now needs to protect both players and colleges by developing system where players are compensated for all work time they are putting in but colleges get commitment from the players for this time effort. I believe if this doesn’t happen number of college sports may disappear because costs for both sides that institutions may drop  sports and players begin to realize that if found part time job might be just as cost effective and time wise as trying to play college sport. All I know for sure is the changes we’re seeing now are going to have long term effects and the outcomes may not what we like. if you look back history we have seen where college sports have been very big and fallen out favor by public because scandal or abuses in the system  we may just repeating history again with similar circumstances. Enough said and I wish Sather well and thankful for all hard work our athletes put forth each year.

4 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I think that former players should limit their response on UND especially if they have been gone from the program several years. It serves them no real purpose and they should be concerned on things where they are now. Second speaking badly about somebody can come back hurt you later in your travels of life because your future boss or potential boss may think differently could cut off opportunities in the future. I don’t know all externals between the players and coaches here and nearly all people on this board don’t know either. I think there have been mistakes made on both sides but reality is was probably better for both parties to go separate ways. I for the most part think most fans hold no deep resentment against players and wish them well. I think Sather came up in old school where basically coaches had most of power over their players and if you bucked system to much you paid price by sitting year and having hard time to find a new home. This has all changed since Sather has been hired and this has been big learning curve for all coaches. This change in situation was reflected by Sather’s end of season comments, when he said he would love to coach this group of players again next year. This statement reflected how much change has occurred in college game in last few years and why number of the old school coaches are choosing to retire. It was always hard for coaches to get players to buy into what they were trying to teach them and now I believe it’s nearly impossible to do so. The other side of this many of coaches abused their power before and is the reason for the changes we have today. I also think to many of the players believe they are going to be stars and become professional players and fact is only very select few are ever going to see that. The players that are taking advantage of playing college  sport developing themselves for career that will improve their lives and opening doors for them rest of their lives are true winners. I think now college sports now needs to protect both players and colleges by developing system where players are compensated for all work time they are putting in but colleges get commitment from the players for this time effort. I believe if this doesn’t happen number of college sports may disappear because costs for both sides that institutions may drop  sports and players begin to realize that if found part time job might be just as cost effective and time wise as trying to play college sport. All I know for sure is the changes we’re seeing now are going to have long term effects and the outcomes may not what we like. if you look back history we have seen where college sports have been very big and fallen out favor by public because scandal or abuses in the system  we may just repeating history again with similar circumstances. Enough said and I wish Sather well and thankful for all hard work our athletes put forth each year.

Paragraphs would be good ... 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I find it odd that there has been zero news on anything in the portal and it has been Wednesday....  If people were leaving, wouldn't it have dropped by now?

Or because of Spring Break... we have to wait another painful week.

To me, I feel like it’s a spring break thing. The only name we have had that has hit is Caleb Nero and I don’t think a single soul was anticipating him back. I think there’s a couple more that will hit. Don’t know if they’ll be big or not but I would expect by the end of next week we have a couple more names in. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

To me, I feel like it’s a spring break thing. The only name we have had that has hit is Caleb Nero and I don’t think a single soul was anticipating him back. I think there’s a couple more that will hit. Don’t know if they’ll be big or not but I would expect by the end of next week we have a couple more names in. 

18 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I find it odd that there has been zero news on anything in the portal and it has been Wednesday....  If people were leaving, wouldn't it have dropped by now?

Or because of Spring Break... we have to wait another painful week.

Yes, Spring break.

Guys will be back on campus next week, then meetings and decisions will be made.

37 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

This Chaves podcast will interest some:
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/53-hawk-talk-100915705/episode/bill-chaves-pod-ep-129-110625922/ 

... especially beginning at the 19:50 mark ... 

Seems like he basically has the same thoughts as most here that it was the right thing to do at this time but improvement in wins and losses need to happen. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I agree with Bill in the fact that at this time giving him an extension was the right thing to do. But I keep hearing everyone say that "We all know he is a good coach" and I just question that a bit. I decided to take a dive into the stats to see if they are backing up what my eyes have been seeing. Yes, these stats are from Synergy, a site that Mr. Bodyguard is not a fan of.

A key way to see if someone is a good coach is if their offensive and defensive schemes and philosophies are working or not.

Offensively

• 22-23: "Good", 0.925 PPP, 40% of teams better than us
  • 21-22: "Average", 0.884 PPP, 60% of teams better than us
  • 20-21: "Average", 0.882 PPP, 59% of teams better than us

Defensively (Cover your eyes!!!)

• 22-23: "Poor", 0.956 PPP, 92% of teams better than us!
  • 21-22: "Poor", 1.003 PPP, 99% of teams better than us!!
  • 20-21: "Poor", 0.962 PPP, 95% of teams better than us!

As you can see, our offense is average and I think it may be time to take a good look at the defense and change up our schemes a bit...

Next thing that can show if someone is a good coach or not is their after timeout (ATO) plays that they draw up

ATO

• 22-23: "Below Average", 0.832 PPP, 69% of teams better than us
  • 21-22: "Below Average", 0.781 PPP, 81% of teams better than us
  • 20-21: "Excellent", 0.972 PPP, 8% of teams better than us (Need to do whatever was done this year)

It is a good sign that we have improved a bit this past year from the other two years but still have a long way to go if we want to be a competitive team in the Summit. We need to have higher standards as a program than just improving a smidgen over 3 years. 

And yes, there are more that goes into if someone is a good coach or not, but if their schemes and philosophies aren't working and they only win 30% of their games then can they actually be a good coach? Isn't the goal of being a basketball coach to win games? Thought it was interesting that the main stats seem to back up what my eyes have been seeing. 

Offensive numbers are very promising especially with a young team. If we are able to get a 5 man through the portal that can help be a rim protector and able to defend the PnR that will be a huge step in the right direction on defense.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I agree with Bill in the fact that at this time giving him an extension was the right thing to do. But I keep hearing everyone say that "We all know he is a good coach" and I just question that a bit. I decided to take a dive into the stats to see if they are backing up what my eyes have been seeing. Yes, these stats are from Synergy, a site that Mr. Bodyguard is not a fan of.

A key way to see if someone is a good coach is if their offensive and defensive schemes and philosophies are working or not.

Offensively

• 22-23: "Good", 0.925 PPP, 40% of teams better than us
  • 21-22: "Average", 0.884 PPP, 60% of teams better than us
  • 20-21: "Average", 0.882 PPP, 59% of teams better than us

Defensively (Cover your eyes!!!)

• 22-23: "Poor", 0.956 PPP, 92% of teams better than us!
  • 21-22: "Poor", 1.003 PPP, 99% of teams better than us!!
  • 20-21: "Poor", 0.962 PPP, 95% of teams better than us!

As you can see, our offense is average and I think it may be time to take a good look at the defense and change up our schemes a bit...

Next thing that can show if someone is a good coach or not is their after timeout (ATO) plays that they draw up

ATO

• 22-23: "Below Average", 0.832 PPP, 69% of teams better than us
  • 21-22: "Below Average", 0.781 PPP, 81% of teams better than us
  • 20-21: "Excellent", 0.972 PPP, 8% of teams better than us (Need to do whatever was done this year)

It is a good sign that we have improved a bit this past year from the other two years but still have a long way to go if we want to be a competitive team in the Summit. We need to have higher standards as a program than just improving a smidgen over 3 years. 

And yes, there are more that goes into if someone is a good coach or not, but if their schemes and philosophies aren't working and they only win 30% of their games then can they actually be a good coach? Isn't the goal of being a basketball coach to win games? Thought it was interesting that the main stats seem to back up what my eyes have been seeing. 

Wow! Nice to see some stats and not just people talking in generalities. I’d like to ask the question what is the strength of a Sather team? Through 4 years I couldn’t tell you what we are going for. Maybe in year 5 we finally establish an identity. 
I would like to see the stats on offense for the 2nd half of the conference season. Id bet we were closer to the 70th percentile during that stretch. Defensive game plan needs to be thrown in the garbage (STOP HIGH HEDGING BALL SCREENS!!). I think it starts with figuring out the 5 spot. T brings a lot of versatility offensively but just is not a presence on defense

• Upvote 2

On 3/15/2023 at 2:16 AM, ND-fan said:

My brain…

On 3/14/2023 at 7:39 PM, UND1983 said:

DAE needs to grow up.  He is obviously still searching for something and that's fine. But it sure as hell isn't Sather's fault for anything that is happening to him.

Since DAE came up on the board recently, here is a link to a story in the Miami Herald regarding his adventures on spring break this week.  Youtube video of the incident also included in the article.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article273303895.html

DAE is always the victim.  I hate to bring this out but he and his father mostly the father made is his school career a mess.  I hope he realizes is actions are not helping him.  He put UND back at least one year on development.  Sad He has/had potential.