SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

UND-SPORTS-FAN

10 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Will Nacho be kicked off the team now for having a child to support?  Simple question.  

Why would you think that? Please give your reasons.

3 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I was told on here that precedent was set on this type of situation.  Moody I believe.  Hope it doesn’t happen again

19 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Multiple former players have said that Moody was kicked off for having a kid. A former coach denies it. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GoodGood said:

Multiple former players have said that Moody was kicked off for having a kid. A former coach denies it. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle

Fair to clarify that the players (at least that were mentioned) who stated that, didn't leave on the greatest terms with the coach and left to find playing time elsewhere.

Does anyone know if UND, UMKC, and St. Thomas received bids to play in the CBI or CIT post season tournaments and turned them down.

It would seem they have better credentials than several of the teams that are playing in these events.

Let's look at coming season where we are at now in the Summit conference and compared to other teams in the conference. The Summit conference as it stands now with transfer out the conference were looking at conference with all the teams in major rebuild mold and for the most part will be filled with either high grads or transfers.

I look at SDSU they have only 6,7,8, people of the bench and group of redshirt freshmen coming in so far and coach that could leave not good positions to be in for next season. Kc has Jamar Brown and number of other players returning so far and coach Menzies looks like he thrives by putting players together from portal by far now strongest team in the Summit. Und retains Eaglestaff, King, and Kuljuhovic and Mayar from past season but will need to fill in loss of Omot, Ihenacho, and Brooks off the team. If they can find talent to fill in, they could battle with KC. St. Thomas I think they will be respectable, but the loss of graduating talent will be interesting see what they have for talent and what they are bringing in for talent. NDSU losing the number of players they have I think has to be Richman sort of nightmare where he wants to build program with his type of players and play their careers at NDSU. He is going to have to look to portal fill immediate needs and wonder how all the chemistry going forth for the team and second if he can get performance he demands from his players. I think they struggle next season and how he puts a team together in this new age of basketball. Denver has as it now stands 5 top seven returning, and number younger players should be ready to step up. The question will they be able to make up for the loss of Brunner and Brenchley both players provided a lot of leadership and scoring. I would put them probably at preseason number 2. Omaha is pretty much in total rebuild. Finally South Dakota I think they have fair nucleolus to build around but will need to find another big post player or two compete but probably tied with UND sitting now in the third preseason position in the conference. I think definitely we will see somebody new winning the conference this year. 

Thank you to ChatGPT for making the above post easier to read:

"Let's take a look at the upcoming season in the Summit conference and compare our current standing with other teams in the conference. As it stands, the Summit conference is undergoing significant changes due to transfers both in and out of the conference. Most teams are in a major rebuilding phase, relying heavily on high school graduates or transfers.

First, let's consider SDSU. They have a limited number of players on the bench and a group of redshirt freshmen coming in. Their coach's uncertain position adds to the challenge for next season. On the other hand, Kansas City (KC) has Jamar Brown and several other returning players, and Coach Menzies seems adept at building a strong team from the transfer portal, making them the strongest team in the Summit at the moment.

UND retains Eaglestaff, King, Kuljuhovic, and Mayar from the past season but needs to fill the gaps left by Omot, Ihenacho, and Brooks. If they can find the talent to fill these positions, they could be contenders against KC. St. Thomas may be respectable, but the loss of graduating talent will test their depth and incoming talent.

NDSU is facing challenges with the loss of several players. Richman, their coach, may need to rely heavily on the transfer portal to meet immediate needs and maintain team chemistry and performance standards. Denver has a solid core of returning players, but they'll need to compensate for the leadership and scoring provided by Brunner and Brenchley.

Omaha is essentially in a rebuilding phase. Finally, South Dakota has a decent core to build around but will need to strengthen their frontcourt to compete effectively. They're likely tied with UND for the third preseason position in the conference.

Overall, it seems highly probable that we'll see a new conference champion this year with so much transition and rebuilding happening across the Summit conference."

• Upvote 3

I think balance UND has between high school and transfer is about right we should be looking to have one or two high school kids a year trying to find talent because power 5 schools are just going to be made up of transfers and very high-end high school seniors that need a year or two before declaring for the draft. This should leave a lot very talented high school players that can give you a year or two before they move on. Getty back to Und they will probably be looking for four on average transfers a year that will play right away and along with high school kids that we develop could put teams together that compete in the conference. The next reason for not getting to many transfers you're going to have dissention because of playing time with to many transfers.

I would wait reserve my judgement on freshman on this team we have not seen them play any minutes of division I basketball, but they have whole season playing against some pretty good division I talent that was on this team. Look at the kids jumping from division II to division I basketball many of these kids were thought not to be talented to play up level but have developed to where they are becoming very good players. The same may happen with these kids and if they don't many will leave to play at level where they can play significant minutes. I also think day of scholarship number for teams is by gone requirement and maybe where the small mid-major can us NIL money to pay for extra players above scholarship levels set by NCAA. NCAA is losing control of college sports as the courts have ruled against them it's going to come down to colleges or big conferences putting forth rules that NCAA will then enforce.

The way college sports were structured I believe will pretty much only exist at Division III level where there is little money and anyone school that does have money to do what happening in Division I and II will be forced to move up like ST. Thomas did with the Summit conference. I also think number of schools that are division I will soon decide they can't compete and have money to stay at that level. I hate to say it that could mean UND with a lot of schools in the Summit Conference especially when you look at the amount of money it's going to require to stay at that level and because of geographic reasons because population to draw television and fan support. Second finding the money from businesses and donors to fund NIL to compete with large institutions. The next few years are going to be very interesting.