SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

UND-SPORTS-FAN

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Time will tell but I am a bit concerned that we gave two full scholarships to the Century kids when neither had anything else going on (D1).  

There have been many cases where a Summit League team has been their only D1 offer and they have turned out okay.

Like you said, let's wait and see.  

14 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Time will tell but I am a bit concerned that we gave two full scholarships to the Century kids when neither had anything else going on (D1).  

Erickson has a lot of the tools and skill to develop into a legit D1 player. I think it’s just going to take a lot of time. 
I’ve been told by people that watch AAU in the summer that Doppler had some impressive performances. I did not see it in the 4 or 5 Century games I watched this year but who knows I guess. 

9 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

There have been many cases where a Summit League team has been their only D1 offer and they have turned out okay.

Like you said, let's wait and see.  

One would also project the player's upside, frame, athleticism in that instance, as well.  

6 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Erickson has a lot of the tools and skill to develop into a legit D1 player. I think it’s just going to take a lot of time. 
I’ve been told by people that watch AAU in the summer that Doppler had some impressive performances. I did not see it in the 4 or 5 Century games I watched this year but who knows I guess. 

Both have a lot of ground to make up to become good players at the D1 level.. Good news is, they will not play this year most likely, and if they attack their redshirt year with the right mindset, they can make major strides. Add Bothun to that mix as well..

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

One would also project the player's upside, frame, athleticism in that instance, as well.  

The staff needs to develop them to their fullest potential.  I have faith they will do so.

Do I expect them to help out next year? No, because I think this staff will land some talent with the scholarships that are left

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Watched a few Century games this year. The first game against Minot he was the best player on the floor. Couple of nice games against Mandan. Century had quite a few blowout wins this season but it seems like in their close games he was their best player in those games.

26 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The staff needs to develop them to their fullest potential.  I have faith they will do so.

Do I expect them to help out next year? No, because I think this staff will land some talent with the scholarships that are left

Agreed with this and what @SD UNDsaid with attacking a redshirt year. None of the current commits should see any playing time and if they do, it should be in the exhibitions. 

9 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

UND needs to use their scholarhips on the following (in order of importance)

1) A big at either the 4 or 5 position:

This to me, along with other people on this board, is the most important position to fill.  This will allow UND to get better at 2 positions:  At the 4/5 spot in the lineup and allowing Omot to slide to the 3 spot.  

2) The point guard of the future:

Need to think ahead for 24-25 in this spot.  I really feel you need to keep Eaglestaff at the 2 spot but he can work the PG position in a pinch, but you need that playmaker to lead the 2nd unit and someone to groom to take over the position next year when Trent graduates

3) Best player available 

Now, if you address 1 and 2 correctly, then you have more wiggle room on this one.  If you can add some shooting with this spot, especially in a bench role, that would be good to pair nicely with the backup point guard. 

If you hit on these scholarships, with the core... they could contend for a top 3 spot.

Yes, I said it.  They absolutely can content for a top 3 spot as soon as next year. 

Good analysis.  l think that the "Best player available" needs to be a shooter to replace Norman.  He added a lot to the offense when his shooting became consistent the second half of the season.  Helped us go on that 6 out of 8 or whatever it was at one point late in the season.

14 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

UND needs to use their scholarhips on the following (in order of importance)

1) A big at either the 4 or 5 position:

This to me, along with other people on this board, is the most important position to fill.  This will allow UND to get better at 2 positions:  At the 4/5 spot in the lineup and allowing Omot to slide to the 3 spot.  

2) The point guard of the future:

Need to think ahead for 24-25 in this spot.  I really feel you need to keep Eaglestaff at the 2 spot but he can work the PG position in a pinch, but you need that playmaker to lead the 2nd unit and someone to groom to take over the position next year when Trent graduates

3) Best player available 

Now, if you address 1 and 2 correctly, then you have more wiggle room on this one.  If you can add some shooting with this spot, especially in a bench role, that would be good to pair nicely with the backup point guard. 

If you hit on these scholarships, with the core... they could contend for a top 3 spot.

Yes, I said it.  They absolutely can content for a top 3 spot as soon as next year. 

Nailed it! Great analysis SW!!

4 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Good analysis.  l think that the "Best player available" needs to be a shooter to replace Norman.  He added a lot to the offense when his shooting became consistent the second half of the season.  Helped us go on that 6 out of 8 or whatever it was at one point late in the season.

Insert Jamar Brown here. Think he may not be quite to the level of shooter that Norman was but not far behind and probably equal or better everywhere else. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Totally agree!  We could have had these kids now if we wanted them.  Why offer so early on these two?  

Maybe not, say for example... NDSU had offered them instead and they accepted.  Then you have arguable the top 3 kids from ND going to the Bison and people up in arms saying:  Sather can't get homestate kids that aren't legacy kids. 

Who really knows if they were going to be there at the end.  The staff thinks that they can help the team going foward, we shall see.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Agreed with this and what @SD UNDsaid with attacking a redshirt year. None of the current commits should see any playing time and if they do, it should be in the exhibitions. 

Agree, none of the freshmen coming in are guys that are expected to play. Give them a redshirt year and another year to develop then they could be in the position to get some minutes. 

Speaking purely to the comments on the recruitment of the Century pair. 

Erikson committing the day after he got offered did really eliminate any chance of him accumulating multiple D1 offers.  I know off hand that he spoke with schools in 3 different mid major conferences, but UND was the school he particularly wanted to go to for a variety of reasons.  

Doppler was communicating with several different coaching staffs and also committed before the July live periods began.  

Doppler, in particular, is a lot better offensively than he gets to show in high school due to the unique style of basketball that Century plays as far as their pace and their spacing. 

Also watched Bothun several times during the summer and I think he is going to be a very nice piece in a few years.  Can really really shoot it.  

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Baller45 said:

Speaking purely to the comments on the recruitment of the Century pair. 

Erikson committing the day after he got offered did really eliminate any chance of him accumulating multiple D1 offers.  I know off hand that he spoke with schools in 3 different mid major conferences, but UND was the school he particularly wanted to go to for a variety of reasons.  

Doppler was communicating with several different coaching staffs and also committed before the July live periods began.  

Doppler, in particular, is a lot better offensively than he gets to show in high school due to the unique style of basketball that Century plays as far as their pace and their spacing. 

Also watched Bothun several times during the summer and I think he is going to be a very nice piece in a few years.  Can really really shoot it.  

Thanks for posting.  Nice insight.

45 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If Hong goes down to the post would that make him ... Hong way low. 

I'll show myself out. 

Listen, this forum is for serious recruiting content only, your childish jokes and comments are not wanted here Sicatoka..

(Purple font is for sarcasm purposes)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3