SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

I think this is a positive sign from Berry that he knows their was a problem and is working to fix it. Maybe some of those players just assumed they were going to play and didn’t work for it, not sure because none of us are in the staff meetings or know if players were told to try and transfer or left on their own. Maybe this shakes up Berry and changes his style and moves to a puck moving faster game, time will tell. As far as #9 goes I believe he is a diehard green and white guy do I would guess he stays and has a monster year or two. 

Leadership will be key next year. Gaber / Caulfied, will a sophomore wear a letter? Regardless, things are pessimistic right now from the fan base. Opposing fanbases are having a fun time. Have a feeling this is going to light a fire in this program. "Count us out, we'll show you" type of mentality. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I like Jamernik as the captain , Gaber, schmaltz and Caulfield with the A’s

From a leadership standpoint, you're right, 27 does make sense. There are things that happened this past year, that I hope never happen again. Simply, 27 cannot get the 19 treatment from last year. Similar skill sets. 27 is a 4th line Center on a good team. Hopefully his minutes would follow suit to that. 

If 27 wears the C he must accept the role Peter Armbrust accepted when he wore the C. 

Peter let the whiz-bangs whiz-bang and skated a bottom six center role. (Peter had Brad DeFauw with him on a wing and DeFauw reminds me a lot of ... 28). 

14 minutes ago, AJS said:

From a leadership standpoint, you're right, 27 does make sense. There are things that happened this past year, that I hope never happen again. Simply, 27 cannot get the 19 treatment from last year. Similar skill sets. 27 is a 4th line Center on a good team. Hopefully his minutes would follow suit to that. 

If we land a top 6 center type in the portal I think it’s a given 27 is going to be the 4th line center. (Or it should be). He’s pretty good on faceoffs and on the PK. I think he knows his role, which is why he’s leadership material. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

If we land a top 6 center type in the portal I think it’s a given 27 is going to be the 4th line center. (Or it should be). He’s pretty good on faceoffs and on the PK. I think he knows his role, which is why he’s leadership material. 

This 100%

Expected Roster as of 3/30/23 -

Going by a somewhat typical 26-man roster (15 F / 8 D / 3 G):

Forwards (13)
Fr - Emerson / Perron
So - Blake / James / McLaughlin / Strinden / Montgomery (RS)
Jr - Schmaltz / Kunz
Sr - Gaber / Jamernik / Ness
Gr - Caulfield

Defense (6)
Fr - Benoit / Komzak / Wiebe / Livanavage / Strathmann
Gr - Pyke

Goalies (2)
Fr - Hedquist
So - Johnson

Undetermined
Decision from Albrecht

Portal and/or Recruit
F - Could need two depending on what Albrecht does
D - Need two
G - Need one

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, jk said:

brianvf, thanks for presenting it by class like that.  It's exactly how I like to think of it.  Also, I think Pyke should be listed as a Gr, although I'm open to discussion on that.

Yeah, it's how I like to see it broken down as well so you can see it class by class.
I actually debated that on Pyke when I typed it up...just changed it.  :) 

Expected Roster as of 3/30/23 -

Forwards (13)
Fr - Emerson / Perron
Jr - Schmaltz / Kunz
Gr - Caulfield

Defense (6)
Gr - Pyke

Goalies (3)
Fr - Hedquist
So - Johnson
Sr - Persson

Undetermined
Decision from Albrecht

Portal and/or Recruit
F - Could need two depending on what Albrecht does
D - Need two

Expected Roster as of 4/1/23 -

Forwards (14)
Fr - Emerson / Perron
Jr - Schmaltz / Kunz / Berg
Gr - Caulfield

Defense (6)
Gr - Pyke

Goalies (3)
Fr - Hedquist
So - Johnson
Sr - Persson

Undetermined
Decision from Albrecht
Caulfield signing or not (still on the forward list for now)

Portal and/or Recruit
F - Could need two depending on what Albrecht & Caulfield do
D - Need two

Thinking out loud on the defense ... 

Pyke + 5 freshmen so need two. 

Pyke only has one season of play left. It'd be nice to get someone (or two) with two seasons left. But is that realistic? 

Take the expected five and there's three in the pipeline: Jubenvill, Ausmus, Mcinnis. 

At what point do they look at Jubenville this fall and just grab another "one year guy". That would leave slots for two (Ausmus, McInnis) in a year. That would really be out of balance (six sophs, two freshmen) a year from now, but couple of those "soph" guys will end up two or three year guys and you use those future early departures for rebalancing. 

The next name at defense will be a tell as to the long-range plan. 

8 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Blake/Berg/Gaber

James/Schmaltz/Perron

Emerson/McLaughlin/Kunz

Strinden/Jammer/Ness;Monty;Judd****

Pyke/Strathmann

Weibe/Livanavage

Komzak/Benoit

Persson

Switch Schmaltz and McLaughlin?

Yes OMac has to be a top 6 guy IMO Schmaltz has to show something next yr

10 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Yea, Omac is top 6.  To those worried about Blake….he’s not going anywhere.  Nowhere near NHL ready

The combination of his size, his legacy at UND, and I imagine a dad who tells him exactly what it takes to play in the NHL will keep him here. Probably for 2 more years if I had to put $ on it.

The team has a bunch of centers, so if McLaughlin can play wing (100%) put him up in the top 6.  Emerson is a big kid, and is playing center in Chicago on a line with BU commit Jack Harvey who is also having a tremendous season.

There should be good competition at the top.

Gaber-Berg-Blake

James-Emerson-McLaughlin

Perron-Schmaltz-Strinden

Kunz-Jammer-Ness

Albrecht, Montgomery, **Judd

If Judd comes back he makes that 4th line lock down with Jammer and Kunz.  Or you move him to the third with Schmaltz.

There are six guys that can play center, so they can get creative if they need too. 

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The team has a bunch of centers, so if McLaughlin can play wing (100%) put him up in the top 6.  Emerson is a big kid, and is playing center in Chicago on a line with BU commit Jack Harvey who is also having a tremendous season.

There should be good competition at the top.

Gaber-Berg-Blake

James-Emerson-McLaughlin

Perron-Schmaltz-Strinden

Kunz-Jammer-Ness

Albrecht, Montgomery, **Judd

If Judd comes back he makes that 4th line lock down with Jammer and Kunz.  Or you move him to the third with Schmaltz.

There are six guys that can play center, so they can get creative if they need too. 

I don’t know that I expect Emerson to play center but at least the option is there. I know he played center in his last game but prior to that he had been playing wing for months. Depends what the coaching staff prefers.