SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

3 hours ago, brianvf said:

We'll certainly have the offensive firepower to play a more speed & possession type of game.

This year's team showed early on that it is capable of playing a possession game once they get the puck deep.  "Capable" being the operative term.  

Looking at next year's opponents, after my one day of being an SCSU fan, fifth year decisions will have a huge impact on them next year.

Of their 14 top scorers, five are graduates and five are seniors.  If they all left, it would be time to start over.

On the other hand, of their top eight scorers, only one is a graduate and four are seniors, so they could bring almost all their best players back if they choose to stay.  I have no idea what the prospects are for their return.

This is going to be Berrys chance to prove what kind of coach he is, struggled this year now he gets to reload and hopefully change his style and put the team competitive with all the top teams. He has had puck possesion teams before so he knows how to do it and the other team can’t score if they don’t have the puck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

This is going to be Berrys chance to prove what kind of coach he is, struggled this year now he gets to reload and hopefully change his style and put the team competitive with all the top teams. He has had puck possesion teams before so he knows how to do it and the other team can’t score if they don’t have the puck. 

Reloading won’t be an option. This team could be good, but they will need to outperform expectations.

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Until we have solutions at goalie and defense this team is not able to be evaluated.

Correct. Need to go 3 for 3 in the portal. 

Here’s my question. How important is it that they get a RHD? Do you just go best available? All things even, you go RH of course, but you wouldn’t try to recruit someone you felt would have a lesser impact, just because they were RH. Right?

Given last season, I’d try to make the books work to bring in 3D and 2G from the portal plus the pipeline 5D and G. Yes that’s 9D and 4G and a 28 roster but if there are any misses it’s needed. And how a28 slot roster would work on the fiscals would be new and interesting. 

1 minute ago, iluvdebbies said:

I like to see 1 or two forwards from the portal, preferably one being a center.

But keep the forward # at 15.

I hear ya but 16-3+2=15.

Someone would have to go to bring in a portal and stay at 15. 

18 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Given last season, I’d try to make the books work to bring in 3D and 2G from the portal plus the pipeline 5D and G. Yes that’s 9D and 4G and a 28 roster but if there are any misses it’s needed. And how a28 slot roster would work on the fiscals would be new and interesting. 

Disagree. Hoping for 15F 8D 3G. Recruit talent, develop talent. I said this previously, but I want this coaching staff to be handcuffed a bit. Part of development is actually playing. Any +1 for a F / D just brings a shorter leash for young talent. I'm hoping whatever happened this year was a one-off. 15F 8D 3G with a guy that (last F, D, G) is solid, but more of an emergency roll.  

• Like 1

Expected Roster as of 3/29/23 -

Going by a somewhat typical 26-man roster (15 F / 8 D / 3 G):

Forwards (13)
Fr - Emerson / Perron
So - Blake / James / McLaughlin / Strinden / Montgomery (RS)
Jr - Schmaltz / Kunz
Sr - Gaber / Jamernik / Ness
Gr - Caulfield

Defense (5)
Fr - Benoit / Komzak / Wiebe / Livanavage / Strathmann

Goalies (2)
Fr - Hedquist
So - Johnson

Undetermined
Decision from Albrecht

Portal and/or Recruit
F - Could need two depending on what Albrecht does
D - Need three
G - Need one

• Like 1

The Berry Marketing Department by Schlossman working hard the last 12 hours or so.
Since 'Moore to the portal' was announced, tweets about:

- the Nodak Sens 
- Senden's first pro goal
- great save by Scheel for Idaho

But nothing on WHY ten of eleven D or G roster slots are technically open right now.
(Yeah, yeah, five freshmen D, but they aren't official until UND says official.) 

Real questions.
Feel-good tweets. 

At least 13 new faces on the roster this fall. On a 26-slot that's half. 

I expect a quarter. A third with pro deals doesn't surprise. But half. And it could go just over half. And Champions Club fees go up also.

So I'm paying more and don't know half of what I'm getting. Harsh, but show me I'm wrong.
How many years will people put up with a mediocre on ice product and rising prices. 

I've said Berry's on a clock. More evidence. No time to dilly dally

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The Berry Marketing Department by Schlossman working hard the last 12 hours or so.
Since 'Moore to the portal' was announced, tweets about:

- the Nodak Sens 
- Senden's first pro goal
- great save by Scheel for Idaho

But nothing on WHY ten of eleven D or G roster slots are technically open right now.
(Yeah, yeah, five freshmen D, but they aren't official until UND says official.) 

Real questions.
Feel-good tweets. 

Shortly after seeing those tweets I saw Schloss posted a selfie in a NODAK hoodie on the Gram.

• Like 1

The frustrating thing is most fans are fine with a slightly down year if it means a reload of talented youngsters.  That should have been last year though.  Spicer should have come in.  The 5 freshman forwards then should have played every game along with Kunz, Schmaltz and Portz.  Sacrifice 4 years of a US NDTP forward for a 5th year role player and a 5th year that couldn't stay on the ice throughout his career?  Cmon.  

It will be curious to see what is really going on behind the scenes.  A former NHL defenseman coach, who has a reputation of knowing what he's doing when it comes to grooming D-men for the NHL, currently has no D on the roster. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Crazy thought…but what if someone like 9 takes off? I mean ridiculously skilled, probably needs two more years before the NHL…why go through a rebuild? I can think of one program that could be in his ear.

Two things. I truly hope this is a crazy thought and not something floated out that is an actual rumor. As we sit on 03/30, obviously so many unknowns. I would say the word rebuild is pretty premature. This is going to be a very fun, very talented offense. He's a key part to it. Up until this point every portal exit has made sense to varying degrees (Moore being the least). 9 would not make sense at all.

Better day today. Start with 13 signing anywhere and then let's get a big portal addition.