SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

13 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

If 5 11 13 are all rostered they all do/provide the exact same thing.

You know who didn't? Portz and Constantini.

Part of me really wishes Constantini was back now that Judd is gone. Only an underclassmen, had two years to figure it out. His free was was really odd. When he’s moving he’s good.

I wonder with Judd gone will that cause Albrecht to leave. Even with inbound portals, he's the old guy. His classmates are all gone. 

Not counting portals it's Carson, then Gaber, LouieJam, and Ness, then younger guys. 

I'm having a difficult time with this Albrecht situation. We don't know a lot, but from what Schlossman has reported that they are waiting on his decision, that clearly indicates that the ball is in his court, correct? 

Why push Portz out to keep Albrecht? I'm hoping to jinx this a little bit, since I think they best thing is for both be gone, but I wouldn't think this would be a popular thing in the locker room. Seems so backwards. 

All I can say about Albrecht is he's slowly figuring it out.
He was a scorer his last season in the SJHL. It took him two seasons of playing regularly to get to that level. 

If he stays I wish him a "Jim Archibald" level scoring epiphany. 

1 minute ago, AJS said:

I'm having a difficult time with this Albrecht situation. We don't know a lot, but from what Schlossman has reported that they are waiting on his decision, that clearly indicates that the ball is in his court, correct? 

Why push Portz out to keep Albrecht? I'm hoping to jinx this a little bit, since I think they best thing is for both be gone, but I wouldn't think this would be a popular thing in the locker room. Seems so backwards. 

I don’t really think Portz was pushed out to keep Albrecht. I think that has to do with other additions and potential additions. 

Im also not sure I think Albrecht is going to come back. Just look at the forwards. Plus factor in Judd’s replacement. He would basically be coming back to fight for a 4th line/extra skater spot and I’m not sure he’d want to do that. 

• Upvote 1

Who might fill Judd's roster slot?

Among those currently in the portal who fit that profile: 6-foot-4 Joe Cassetti of Miami (10 goals), 6-foot-3 Ryan Mahshie of RPI (15 goals), 6-foot-3 Sam Colangelo of Northeastern (Anaheim pick) and 6-foot-1 Jack Malone of Cornell (Vancouver pick).

Emerson hit 30 goals over the weekend. I really, REALLY like where he scores from, think: bloody nose alley. We've been missing that. Look here:
https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/daily-skate-und-recruit-hits-30-goals-in-ushl 

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Emerson hit 30 goals over the weekend. I really, REALLY like where he scores from, think: bloody nose alley. We've been missing that. Look here:
https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/daily-skate-und-recruit-hits-30-goals-in-ushl 

I saw that as well...his goal plot pic is pretty telling from that article.  That's great...that's an area where UND was lacking a bit this season, those gritty goals from right on the crease area.

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

Joey Larson has three years left, and is one of the highest scorers on the portal board. 

All signs point to Michigan State for him according to someone on USCHO. They said it’s all but official. 

They must be making a new team  :whistling:

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

So the list of potential Judd replacements listed in this article has already dwindled. Colangelo is going to Western and Mahshie to UConn. 

4 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

So the list of potential Judd replacements listed in this article has already dwindled. Colangelo is going to Western and Mahshie to UConn. 

Man, I really thought we would be in on Colangelo bummer 

14 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Larson to MSU….they are building nice right now 

They've done very well with portal forwards, that's for sure.
They could be up in the B10 next season...maybe match up better to UMN and UM if they lose a bunch to the pros like I bet they will.

10 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Albrecht coming back is better than bringing in a portal guy. He’s a team guy, plays hard, and probably can be a leader in that locker room for the younger guys. Need to be balanced.

I would agree, especially with what is left for forwards in the portal.
We already will have a great amount of forward skill for our top 9.

Blake-McLaughlin-James
Gaber-Berg-Perron
Strinden-Schmaltz-Emerson
Kunz-Jamernik-Albrecht/Ness

I like splitting up Blake and Gaber.

47 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Gaber doesn't like to give up the  puck. Doesn't utilize Blake's passing.

That's why I'd like to see Emerson on his line ...let Gaber shoot and Emerson clean up the Garbage.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, brianvf said:

They've done very well with portal forwards, that's for sure.
They could be up in the B10 next season...maybe match up better to UMN and UM if they lose a bunch to the pros like I bet they will.

I would agree, especially with what is left for forwards in the portal.
We already will have a great amount of forward skill for our top 9.

Blake-McLaughlin-James
Gaber-Berg-Perron
Strinden-Schmaltz-Emerson
Kunz-Jamernik-Albrecht/Ness

Not only do I think Blake and Gaber should be split up, but I also think Berg (a shooter), should be on a different line than Gaber (also a shooter). So I’d switch things around in that aspect. Haven’t decided what I prefer for lines yet. Gaber also does that thing where he holds onto the puck too long and eventually turns it over and it really pisses me off. I hope he stops doing that  :)

• Upvote 2