SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

The team has a bunch of centers, so if McLaughlin can play wing (100%) put him up in the top 6.  Emerson is a big kid, and is playing center in Chicago on a line with BU commit Jack Harvey who is also having a tremendous season.

There should be good competition at the top.

Gaber-Berg-Blake

James-Emerson-McLaughlin

Perron-Schmaltz-Strinden

Kunz-Jammer-Ness

Albrecht, Montgomery, **Judd

If Judd comes back he makes that 4th line lock down with Jammer and Kunz.  Or you move him to the third with Schmaltz.

There are six guys that can play center, so they can get creative if they need too. 

Just wondering if an elite setup guy like McLaughlin can use his skills better at center. Regardless, it seems we will have a lot of guys that can take draws.  Too bad it isn’t the old days where if you kick one out of the circle you can just throw another in.  Now you jump the gun you’re behind the eight ball.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

The team has a bunch of centers, so if McLaughlin can play wing (100%) put him up in the top 6.  Emerson is a big kid, and is playing center in Chicago on a line with BU commit Jack Harvey who is also having a tremendous season.

Gaber-Berg-Blake

James-Emerson-McLaughlin

Perron-Schmaltz-Strinden

Kunz-Jammer-Ness

If Judd comes back he makes that 4th line lock down with Jammer and Kunz.  Or you move him to the third with Schmaltz.

There are six guys that can play center, so they can get creative if they need too. 

For Mclaughlins size, it would make sense to try him at wing.

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Gaber-Berg-Blake

James-Emerson-McLaughlin

Perron-Schmaltz-Strinden

Kunz-Jammer-Ness

I am willing to bet that if Judd comes back he is top 6/9.  Going off of Berry's track record with Covid returnees.

16 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

I am willing to bet that if Judd comes back he is top 6/9.  Going off of Berry's track record with Covid returnees.

No doubt. Plus Judd isn’t coming back just to play on the 4th line. (I don’t think he’s back though)

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It's gonna be like a Chicago Steel reunion next season when BU and UND play.

37 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Tough decision for Judd. Could be part of a great offense, and pad the stats next season. On the other hand it’s possible that he won’t get a better contract than what’s proposed now. 

As long as he doesn't wait until the day before classes start in August, I have no problem with him signing a good offer. But I hope he understands he'll probably end up in the minor leagues to start with.

• Upvote 1

Expected Roster as of 4/2/23 -

Going by a somewhat typical 26-man roster (15 F / 8 D / 3 G):

Forwards (13)
Fr - Emerson / Perron
So - Blake / James / McLaughlin / Strinden / Montgomery (RS)
Jr - Schmaltz / Kunz / Berg
Sr - Gaber / Jamernik / Ness

Defense (6)
Fr - Benoit / Komzak / Wiebe / Livanavage / Strathmann
Gr - Pyke

Goalies (3)
Fr - Hedquist
So - Johnson
Sr - Persson

Undetermined
Decision from Albrecht

Portal and/or Recruit
F - Need one or two depending on what Albrecht does
D - Need two

Dan Myers' piece mentions Dane Jackson  as a possible Hastings replacement.

https://takesfrom206.wordpress.com/2023/04/02/what-now/ 

• Among current college assistants, North Dakota’s Dane Jackson seems like a guy due for a chance to run his own program. Jackson just wrapped up his 17th season as an assistant at UND, including the past seven as associate head coach, a span that includes a national championship.

With Brad Berry seemingly entrenched behind the bench there as the head man, the 52-year-old Jackson may need to move on from the only school he’s ever known if he wants a crack at a head coaching gig.

Myers tosses out names: current HCs "Fersch" (WMU), Potulny (NMU), Largen (UAF), Muse (US NTDP) and current assistants Jackson, Corbett (QU). He also goes left field with former WMU HC Blashill and current Wild TV man Ryan Carter. 

I don't think they're getting Fersch or Muse. What's Potulny make? Most likely current HC to me is Largen. Probably bias on my part, but the three most "gettable" names on Myers' list are Largen, Jackson, and Blashill. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Myers tosses out names: current HCs "Fersch" (WMU), Potulny (NMU), Largen (UAF), Muse (US NTDP) and current assistants Jackson, Corbett (QU). He also goes left field with former WMU HC Blashill and current Wild TV man Ryan Carter. 

I don't think they're getting Fersch or Muse. What's Potulny make? Most likely current HC to me is Largen. Probably bias on my part, but the three most "gettable" names on Myers' list are Largen, Jackson, and Blashill. 

Too old now probably and not likely interested but wasn't Cary Eades in the mix for the Manakto job when Hastings was fired.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Potulny could be a possibility with his kid being at Shattuck and wanting to move closer to beautiful Minneapolis.