SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

14 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The previous coach was bought out of the final year of his contract. He didn't exactly leave a full cupboard on his way out.

Let me ask you this, is the program in a better or worse place from when Sather first took the job? 

• Upvote 1

Kind of random, but did UND ever do anything to honor Bill Fitch in his passing?  He was at UND for 5 years I believe.  I ask because I don't remember seeing anything from UND about it, but I could have missed something. 

UND has a proud basketball history... curious if/how much basketball alumni are involved in any way with the program now days?  History and tradition mean a lot to a lot of people, including former players, donors, and recruits.  Could UND do better in this regard to improve the programs footing?  Did J.J. Safranski play ball at UND for example?

• Upvote 2

While the 16-17 season was magical, it also planted the seeds for the issues with the program currently.  I hold Faison responsible for a big portion for that with how he handled the Jones contract before the season and after the season. 

He never should have been lame-ducked.  He either should have had the guts to stand by his coach and give him the extension or say: I need someone to put this team over the top and let him go.

UND has never been able to get a roster that has been able to match that team since. 

3 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

While the 16-17 season was magical, it also planted the seeds for the issues with the program currently.  I hold Faison responsible for a big portion for that with how he handled the Jones contract before the season and after the season. 

He never should have been lame-ducked.  He either should have had the guts to stand by his coach and give him the extension or say: I need someone to put this team over the top and let him go.

UND has never been able to get a roster that has been able to match that team since. 

So to answer my question from above, are you saying that UND is in an even worse place since Sather took over?

35 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Let me ask you this, is the program in a better or worse place from when Sather first took the job? 

As a program, despite the record, I would say it is in a better place.
A handful of reasons for that answer but I want to make it clear that I don't think the program is anywhere near where it should be right now either. And I don't think you'll find anyone within the athletic department or the MBB program that would think it is either.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

As a program, despite the record, I would say it is in a better place.
A handful of reasons for that answer but I want to make it clear that I don't think the program is anywhere near where it should be right now either. And I don't think you'll find anyone within the athletic department or the MBB program that would think it is either.

Since Sather took over:

• He has a 33% win rate. And 29% if you took out his first year with all Jones's guys
  • No kids want to stay in the program. Consistently losing our best young players every year.
  • We were a bottom 10 D1 team in the nation last year and are trending that direction again this year
  • UND is now basically a D2 basketball team and D2 roster
  • UND is not respected by opponents and viewed as an easy W in their schedule
  • I would say that fan/community support has gone down. Especially last season and looking that way this year.

Just to name a few things. I'm not so sure how you could say that the program is in a better spot since Sather took over. I just really can't see how anyone could say that. 

• Upvote 2

I don’t think that sather is the reason every kid leaves.

you don’t know who,is in the ear of these kids.

you don’t know what’s going on personally with these kids.

I think some kids get homesick and want to be close to home

we had a wbb player a few years ago that left because of this is what I am hearing, a football plAyer a few years back and these were both North Dakota kids

its not going to get easier.

I watched the Texas tech coach say last night if an athlete wants to leave for what ever reason be supportive of the kid and hope for the best for them, don’t put up roadblocks, in fact he went on social media and told fans to stop posting crap about those athletes leaving, good for this coach 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

How about this. Would you rather have UND win on Thursday or lose?

Win. I hope nothing but success for the UND basketball program. I want nothing more than for UND to be competitive again and win championships. That's the whole goal and point of a basketball program. To win. My whole point here is that UND has been trending in the wrong direction for the last 3.5 years. Something needs to change to turn this program around. 

On 1/4/2023 at 4:27 PM, HoopsFan03 said:

Are you able to elaborate? 

Lack of respect from team, team coaches and other coaches around the league. If a had a dollar for every time Jones looked an opposing player or coach in the eye when shaking hands after a game, I would have very few dollars in my pocket. 

Jones would have been fired by Ed Schafer (and then Kennedy) if there had not been such a budget challenge during their time at UND. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Since Sather took over:

• He has a 33% win rate. And 29% if you took out his first year with all Jones's guys
  • No kids want to stay in the program. Consistently losing our best young players every year

So the new coach did better with the old coach's players in a new system than the old coach did? And then the new coach struggled because there wasn't a whole lot of talent left on the roster and not much coming in?
The roster had plenty of turnover during the prior regime despite there not even being a transfer portal option.

Beyond that, I'm not going to sit and go back and forth over old issues and other things that have been around for a lot longer than 3-4 years. It serves no real purpose other than speaking negatively about things and people in the past. 

Like I said, we get your opinion. Some agree with you. Others think it is a lot more nuanced than "fire coach now".

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Regardless of the Jones vs Sather comparison, this program deserves better than we have had for the last 5 years. I would love to be winning conference championships every other year like the xDSUs have done it seems but let’s just start with being in the conversation. We are, right now, what WIU is in football. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

This post is kind of ironic.  Do you you mind specifying who "you" is?

I should have quoted the post I referred to, I believe was from new Und fan and the post isn’t there now 

11 hours ago, Kab said:

You sure read a lot into posts that isn’t there, not sure where you get your thoughts from.

28 minutes ago, Kab said:

I should have quoted the post I referred to, I believe was from new Und fan and the post isn’t there now 

Gotcha.  Kinda funny though.. :silly:

21 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Regardless of the Jones vs Sather comparison, this program deserves better than we have had for the last 5 years. I would love to be winning conference championships every other year like the xDSUs have done it seems but let’s just start with being in the conversation. We are, right now, what WIU is in football. 

Normally I'd be all in on comparing the two coaches...but one has had to deal with the portal...one didn't have to.  It's not quite apples to apples in my eyes.

Would Jones have been able to hold his best teams together if the portal was available?  I kind of doubt it...to be fair that's not a critique of Jones either.  He just never had to deal with that as a head coach.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, UND08 said:

Normally I'd be all in on comparing the two coaches...but one has had to deal with the portal...one didn't have to.  It's not quite apples to apples in my eyes.

Would Jones have been able to hold his best teams together if the portal was available?  I kind of doubt it...to be fair that's not a critique of Jones either.  He just never had to deal with that as a head coach.

His best player actually went to summer school just so he could graduate and transfer out.

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

His best player actually went to summer school just so he could graduate and transfer out.

Graduate and transfer to Gonzaga. That’s different imo. Either way I agree it’s not apples to apples that’s why I’m saying why are we comparing the two. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Graduate and transfer to Gonzaga. That’s different imo. Either way I agree it’s not apples to apples that’s why I’m saying why are we comparing the two. 

Because both coaches compete against others who play by the exact same rules as they do.  An argument could easily be made that Sather isn't utilizing the portal in a matter that best fits UND's situation - his recruiting strategy sucks.  That's on him and not the portal.  WIU was way better than UND last year and that's after everyone on the team transferred out - their new coach found D1 transfers.  WIU is less desirable than UND in almost every respect.  

• Upvote 3

Some interesting numbers on our coach. Career win percentage at UND of 33%. He’s now at 28% if you take out the year with Jones players. If you take out the year of Jones players versus d1 opponents, Sather is winning just 24% of games. This is not good 

• Upvote 1