SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

UND-SPORTS-FAN

6 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

No he inherited a team with Marlon Stewart, Filip Rebraca, DAE, and Kienan Walter. All players UND could desperately use right now

DAE sucks and is on his 3rd school in 3 years. UND doesn't desperately need DAE. That's absurd. 

Marlon Stewart had his best year of his college career with Sather as the coach, Filip Rebraca had his best FG% year with coach Sather as a coach, and Kienan Walter had a the best year of his career with Sather as the coach. 

Also he took that team to a Summit League title game.

Since that game is where the issues lie. But to say that UND could use DAE right now is totally laughable.

Should SDSU's head coach be fired too? He lost to NDSU as well last night?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, SD UND said:

DAE sucks and is on his 3rd school in 3 years. UND doesn't desperately need DAE. That's absurd. 

Marlon Stewart had his best year of his college career with Sather as the coach, Filip Rebraca had his best FG% year with coach Sather as a coach, and Kienan Walter had a the best year of his career with Sather as the coach. 

Also he took that team to a Summit League title game.

Since that game is where the issues lie. But to say that UND could use DAE right now is totally laughable.

Should SDSU's head coach be fired too? He lost to NDSU as well last night?

Since that night UND has won 24% of its games versus d1 opponents. We could use any D1 level player we can get (which like it or not, DAE is)

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Since that night UND has won 24% of its games versus d1 opponents. We could use any D1 level player we can get (which like it or not, DAE is)

DAE doesn't fix any of the issues UND has right now. He's a below average shooter, horrible defender, and below average rebounder. 

He can stay at CSUN 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We can’t ever have all the boxes checked for what you need to have a successful team

be it not strong enough post players offensively or defensively 

not having a point guard who can shoot - by the way - how can we have players who have played their entire life and can’t shoot is beyond me - don’t need to be exceptional but just good enough to be a d1 player 

players that still forget to box out

could go on

3 hours ago, GoodGood said:

No he inherited a team with Marlon Stewart, Filip Rebraca, DAE, and Kienan Walter. All players UND could desperately use right now

Yes, we went over that. He took them to the Summit Championship game. And then 2 of them graduated.
The next season it was only DAE and Rebraca, one of who spent half of his time looking for a new team.
And the 3rd season, he had none of those players. Point being, cupboard was bare.

Can you imagine what this team would actually look like if Rebraca, Ihenacho and Bruns were still on it? Man, that would be fun....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So we will continue to blame the portal, the players,  the budget, living in grand forks all as reasons why we can't ever win.  When only one person is in charge of not losing players to the portal, making players better, finding ways to win games with your coaching ability and selling kids on coming to a high end school with a brand new campus.  Gotcha .  I guess we need to go back to D2 or love being in last place every year .  

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

So we will continue to blame the portal, the players,  the budget, living in grand forks all as reasons why we can't ever win.  When only one person is in charge of not losing players to the portal, making players better, finding ways to win games with your coaching ability and selling kids on coming to a high end school with a brand new campus.  Gotcha .  I guess we need to go back to D2 or love being in last place every year .  

Hey, never EVER question the voice of reason (@jdub27)! He's Father Knows Best around here! (extreme sarcasm) :p:silly::whistling:

• Upvote 2

Part of my reason for being hesitant on saying Sather needs to go is because of how many real good basketball minds respect him and think he was a hell of a hire for us. I know everyone has dealt with the portal and Covid and all that but it also feels like no one has had worse luck than Sather too. I get it, that excuse is probably overused.

I guess I think some are afraid we are going to be letting go of an actual good coach too soon while others are convinced he’s the worst coach to step in the Betty. Which is it? I don’t know and it’s for Bill Chaves to decide. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Part of my reason for being hesitant on saying Sather needs to go is because of how many real good basketball minds respect him and think he was a hell of a hire for us. I know everyone has dealt with the portal and Covid and all that but it also feels like no one has had worse luck than Sather too. I get it, that excuse is probably overused.

I guess I think some are afraid we are going to be letting go of an actual good coach too soon while others are convinced he’s the worst coach to step in the Betty. Which is it? I don’t know and it’s for Bill Chaves to decide. 

Ok I’m ready. Move on. Mass exodus so be it. 

• Upvote 1

He sounded like a politician in radio post game

lots of reasons for the loss, turnovers, but no answers in correcting things 

‘biggest complaint is he can’t figure out how to use a timeout to try end runs 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Kab said:

He sounded like a politician in radio post game

lots of reasons for the loss, turnovers, but no answers in correcting things 

‘biggest complaint is he can’t figure out how to use a timeout to try end runs 

The timeout thing is so frustrating. It happens every game. 

• Upvote 1

Well...... 3 straight losses at home to our rival 'Dakota' schools. All of which should have been winnable games against programs that are SIGNIFICANTLY down from last year. However, it resulted in 1 extremely embarrassing loss and 2 losses that should have been wins. 

The USD and SDSU games would have been wins if it weren't for extremely poor game management/usage of timeouts, poor playing calling and execution, and very poor usage of subs/rotations/being able to pick set rotations and sticking with it. At one point during the first half of the USD game I was starting to question if Sather had a case of memory loss and thought he was coaching hockey with how many line changes we saw. Somebody better check on him!

On the positive side of things, at least none of these losses really count or even matter since it is another rebuilding year! I am just glad that Sather is a great guy and that all the players are having fun! Winning is an afterthought! 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Well...... 3 straight losses at home to our rival 'Dakota' schools. All of which should have been winnable games against programs that are SIGNIFICANTLY down from last year. However, it resulted in 1 extremely embarrassing loss and 2 losses that should have been wins. 

The USD and SDSU games would have been wins if it weren't for extremely poor game management/usage of timeouts, poor playing calling and execution, and very poor usage of subs/rotations/being able to pick set rotations and sticking with it. At one point during the first half of the USD game I was starting to question if Sather had a case of memory loss and thought he was coaching hockey with how many line changes we saw. Somebody better check on him!

On the positive side of things, at least none of these losses really count or even matter since it is another rebuilding year! I am just glad that Sather is a great guy and that all the players are having fun! Winning is an afterthought! 

You're right, coach Sather doesn't care about winning and is all about having fun. I'm sure he is doing nothing to try and solve the issues. Just sitting back having coffee at Northside and enjoying his time in Grand Forks. 

It's too bad he didn't use more of his magical timeouts- if he would've taken one more 30 second timeout UND would have won by 10, because timeouts are magic.

19 minutes ago, SD UND said:

You're right, coach Sather doesn't care about winning and is all about having fun. I'm sure he is doing nothing to try and solve the issues. Just sitting back having coffee at Northside and enjoying his time in Grand Forks. 

It's too bad he didn't use more of his magical timeouts- if he would've taken one more 30 second timeout UND would have won by 10, because timeouts are magic.

Uh oh.... I was worried about Sather's little minions coming out after that post!

Maybe do something to stop the run that SDSU was going on?? You know.... going from up 13 to down 11 in a five minute stretch is probably something that you don't want to happen. Maybe, just maybe, try do something to stop it??

• Upvote 4

That's exactly what a good coach does.  Calls a timeout when another team is on a run.   The fact that you called them a magical timeout just takes credibility away from you. But I have seen Coach Sather do this many times in the past two years.  We blow large leads and just throw our hands up in the air.   Also the hockey line up changes needs to go!   Stick with 7 or 8 and our starters need to play mass minutes.    We should always have 3 or 4 starters on the court at all times.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3