SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

4 hours ago, UND08 said:

I get what you're saying...but I will say I don't view NAU as a "huge" game.  I view it as a game that we should physically dominate at home and win going away.  If we lose that's a sign of a much bigger problem in my eyes...it's time to expect to win games like this one going away.  On that...I will say that I actually agree with UND-FB-FAN.

Nowhere in my post did I say it will be a huge game.  I said it will be an important game because it's against a Big Sky team and may be used if we go up against another Big Sky team in terms of seeding/playoff birth come playoff time, or just in comparing strength of the two conferences in general.  Since the Big Sky got pretty full of themselves last year, I'll be paying close attention to any of the games between Big Sky and MVFC teams. 

The NAU game should be a win, and I agree we are at home and we should win this type of game going away....I'm hoping it's  15+ point type of win.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, N of GF said:

The game is, what, eight months off and UND-FB-FAN (and you?) has already chalked it in as a loss or a narrow win before we've even seen the new team practice. Then he lectures everyone about having low expectations. Here's to eight more months of his comments along the same lines. Yipee!

I'll say this...I expect us to curb stomp NAU at home to the point where I can relax for the entire 4th quarter.  Something like 36-17 sounds about right.  That SHOULD be the expectation of this program if it wants to go where we all think it's going to go.  If that's not what happens I'll be sorely disappointed...

That being said...I have 9 years of a body of work to fall back on that tells me that what my expectation for that game is likely won't happen.  Not saying we won't win...but it'll likely be a 4th quarter game.  We were pumped with a last second come from behind win last year, and the Skydome is a tough place to play...but NAU went 3-8 last year and hasn't had a winning season since 2017..  If we want to be a perennial contender we have to take care of those 3-8/4-7 type teams handily.  Sorry if ya'll disagree with that assessment.

Why does it feel like it's against some kind of unwritten law within the UND fandom to want more from a program then you're currently getting??  That seriously bothers me...and it happens across many, if not most of the programs.  I get it...we were the 3rd best team in the mighty MVFC last year...that's pretty good!  Also we made the playoffs and finished in the top 25...that's in the top 20% of FCS!  Problem is...we are 5 rungs on the ladder below the two closest FCS programs to Grand Forks, and some of our most core supporters aren't willing to look holistically at the program and ask what we can do to close that gap!  I'm not advocating for any particular change...but just once I'd like to see us have 1/3 of the drive that the NDSU fanbase has!  They're off their rockers 50-60% of the time down there, but they always want more from their programs, and would never settle for Top 25-ish.  I hate them so much but I respect them for that.  I wish some of that would flow upstream.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, UND08 said:

I'll say this...I expect us to curb stomp NAU at home to the point where I can relax for the entire 4th quarter.  Something like 36-17 sounds about right.  That SHOULD be the expectation of this program if it wants to go where we all think it's going to go.  If that's not what happens I'll be sorely disappointed...

That being said...I have 9 years of a body of work to fall back on that tells me that what my expectation for that game is likely won't happen.  Not saying we won't win...but it'll likely be a 4th quarter game.  We were pumped with a last second come from behind win last year, and the Skydome is a tough place to play...but NAU went 3-8 last year and hasn't had a winning season since 2017..  If we want to be a perennial contender we have to take care of those 3-8/4-7 type teams handily.  Sorry if ya'll disagree with that assessment.

I never expect a blowout against Big Sky teams. You just never know how they’re going to play. NAU is the kind of team that can randomly play like world beaters. At home is huge but still, I’m cautious with big sky teams.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I never expect a blowout against Big Sky teams. You just never know how they’re going to play. NAU is the kind of team that can randomly play like world beaters. At home is huge but still, I’m cautious with big sky teams.

I'll give them credit they lost quite a few close games last year...but if they are picked in the bottom half of the Big Sky for 2023 (which I assume they probably will be) then I really think that we should be able to comfortably take care of business at home if we are going to be a "Championship Caliber" team in 2023.

45 minutes ago, UND08 said:

I'll give them credit they lost quite a few close games last year...but if they are picked in the bottom half of the Big Sky for 2023 (which I assume they probably will be) then I really think that we should be able to comfortably take care of business at home if we are going to be a "Championship Caliber" team in 2023.

I agree with you but deep down I have a fear of those wacky big sky games where teams play out of their minds for no reason.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Just because everyone doesn't demand instant change or coaches fired at the drop of a hat, does not mean people don't want more.
There is zero guarantee that change equates to instant success. Some people believe in a process to set groundwork for sustained success. And it isn't easy nor guaranteed. You need to trust the right people are in place to do the job and understand the tools/resources they have to move forward.

First off...I'm not advocating for any change within the football program.  I'd frankly feel encouraged by a sense of urgency that I feel is lacking.  NDSU goes FBS and boom we are even further behind.   We've done little to close the gap with them on the field...and it bothers me that more of us don't feel that way.  I will say that knowing coaches that I've known in the past I'm fairly confident that my attitude is closer to the attitude within the football hq than what is displayed on this site.  If it's not...that's unacceptable in my book.

The last half of your last sentence is where I think the problem lies and is frankly the brunt of my frustrations.  Football needs more resources to succeed.  Basketball does too.  These are the two most popular sports by far in the country, and we are playing them with one hand tied behind our back.  If we don't think we can close the gap to give our programs a chance (or at least give them a fair deal within the athletic department/REA comingled web/mess), then that's a tough pill to swallow for me.  I plan on donating to the football priority needs fund today, because I'm not going to complain about something and not put my money where my mouth is.  I wish I could add another zero or two to that donation...but that'll come in time.  I love this program...nobody who knows me questions that...but I'm not afraid to ask some tough questions either.

All that said...I really like what we've done this offseason so far.  I'm optimistic that those efforts will pay off on the field in a few months!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND08 said:

Why does it feel like it's against some kind of unwritten law within the UND fandom to want more from a program then you're currently getting??  That seriously bothers me...and it happens across many, if not most of the programs.  I get it...we were the 3rd best team in the mighty MVFC last year...that's pretty good!  Also we made the playoffs and finished in the top 25...that's in the top 20% of FCS!  Problem is...we are 5 rungs on the ladder below the two closest FCS programs to Grand Forks, and some of our most core supporters aren't willing to look holistically at the program and ask what we can do to close that gap!  I'm not advocating for any particular change...but just once I'd like to see us have 1/3 of the drive that the NDSU fanbase has!  They're off their rockers 50-60% of the time down there, but they always want more from their programs, and would never settle for Top 25-ish.  I hate them so much but I respect them for that.  I wish some of that would flow upstream.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone here comment that what we have is good enough. Yet a few of you keep arguing with your strawman day after day.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, UND08 said:

I don't think I take it clearly as far as UND-FB-FAN...but I'm not going to speak for him.  I tend to agree with you...the frustrating part is a lot of times to people like me it appears that nothing is being done to rectify the issues at hand.  Maybe that's because nothing can be done...but if that's the case the program is going to regress further and further behind its peers...and I don't take that kind of thing well at all.

That being said...I have no qualms with Coach Schweigert.  I might not agree with every play call or scheme, but I'm certainly not qualified to be a D1 football coach, so I'll just complain about them semi-anonymously on this message board haha.  Isn't that what it's all about?!?  My qualms go to the administration level.  If we are going to have a championship caliber football team, then our athletic department needs to give them the horses to have one.  I don't think that happens...for lots of reasons.  I get that NDSU and SDSU don't have hockey...but we used to beat those guys regularly, and dangit I think that needs to be the goal still (and not just a wish...plan for it to happen/make it happen).

Good clarification and input.  I think that we're all hoping for/wanting the same thing:  steady progress toward being able to consistently compete with the top dogs, with an occasional championship banner to hang, and doing it with integrity.

• Upvote 4

On 1/24/2023 at 10:28 AM, geaux_sioux said:

I think the Big Sky Conference is overrated and NAU is a bad football program/team.

On 1/24/2023 at 11:07 AM, jdub27 said:

Just because everyone doesn't demand instant change or coaches fired at the drop of a hat, does not mean people don't want more.
There is zero guarantee that change equates to instant success. Some people believe in a process to set groundwork for sustained success. And it isn't easy nor guaranteed. You need to trust the right people are in place to do the job and understand the tools/resources they have to move forward.

There’s no guarantee a slow deliberate painful process will work either. In fact, you could argue it normally doesn’t. It’s ultra-conservatism and cowardly. 

Oh well, 7 close victories against mid-tier teams should be fun … again. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 1/24/2023 at 11:21 AM, UND08 said:

The last half of your last sentence is where I think the problem lies and is frankly the brunt of my frustrations.  Football needs more resources to succeed.  Basketball does too.  These are the two most popular sports by far in the country, and we are playing them with one hand tied behind our back.  If we don't think we can close the gap to give our programs a chance (or at least give them a fair deal within the athletic department/REA comingled web/mess), then that's a tough pill to swallow for me.

There’s no question that the athletic department - REA mess is a detriment to UND football and basketball. Failure to recognize this is concerning, just as much as the inability to rectify it. 

Funding certainly needs to improve, but so does prioritization. They go hand in hand, though, of course. 

Lastly, I think there’s a lack of perspective amongst folks who advocate that UND continue on their current course; that and/or alternative agendas. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Random positives or things I like when looking at the 2023 schedule.

• Opening at home against Drake
  • NAU game is 2nd on the schedule (vs playing Boise the 2nd week)
  • Bye week is between road games 
  • Play WIU at home the week before NDSU
  • @ USD is 2nd last weekend
  • Finish winnable home game

4 hours ago, AJS said:

Random positives or things I like when looking at the 2023 schedule.

• Opening at home against Drake
  • NAU game is 2nd on the schedule (vs playing Boise the 2nd week)
  • Bye week is between road games 
  • Play WIU at home the week before NDSU
  • @ USD is 2nd last weekend
  • Finish winnable home game

The Bye is a week or two earlier than I'd maybe like it, but yes it is good that it's between two road games and big road games at that.   

First 6 games:  Go 4-2

Last 5 games: Go 4-1

That would put us at 8-3.  Need to beat SU at home this year.