SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

i volunteered at the red pepper at the ralph and they (red peps) aren't allowing customer to control the white sauce......they used to keep it at the counter and you could add as much as you want but now you have to ask "heavy on the white sauce...or light on the white sauce".....chaos!!

Prior to the start of the season 6-3 is right where most would have seen this team. FCS game does not count against us and our two losses are "quality losses" in the eyes of the committee. Even if we split, based on Montana hosting a first round last year, UND should be hosting first round. 

On 11/5/2023 at 12:54 PM, CMSioux said:

Will it take a change in the head coach for us to move away from the 3-4 defense? Just seems difficult to recruit the personnel to make it dynamic. 

Been saying for years they need to get rid of that terrible defense!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Prior to the start of the season 6-3 is right where most would have seen this team. FCS game does not count against us and our two losses are "quality losses" in the eyes of the committee. Even if we split, based on Montana hosting a first round last year, UND should be hosting first round. 

Do they consider them quality losses regardless of the score of those games?   Of course everyone has been blown out by SDSU, but what will the UNI game do to the equation?

3 hours ago, tnt said:

Do they consider them quality losses regardless of the score of those games?   Of course everyone has been blown out by SDSU, but what will the UNI game do to the equation?

I hear ya. IMO that was not a quality loss regardless how it’s defined.  The  UNI game was a bad loss (cus it was a blowout vs a decent but not great team) vice being a quality (close) loss.  

27 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Illinois St is ranked higher than UND? Quite sure they’re not.

1 hour ago, Goose15 said:

Only one team is ranked higher than us, USD. Illinois State is not above us. 

I go with Sam Herder's poll. He has ISU ahead of UND. He knows the FCS.  The coaches poll is a bunch of clueless coffee getting office assistants filling out the poll.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

UND has 2 games left vs teams currently ranked higher. Tell me now they go 1-1 and I'd say yes please.

They’ll beat Illinois state, but that means 4 losses, and therefore much of the same. Likely early playoff exit as usual since road games are just so “hard”

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

I go with Sam Herder's poll. He has ISU ahead of UND. He knows the FCS.  The coaches poll is a bunch of clueless coffee getting office assistants filling out the poll.

Herder doesn't have Illinois State in his Top 25. They are currently 5-4. 

1 hour ago, GDPritch said:

I hear ya. IMO that was not a quality loss regardless how it’s defined.  The  UNI game was a bad loss (cus it was a blowout vs a decent but not great team) vice being a quality (close) loss.  

True however Western Illinois loses to NDSU 59-7 w/out Carson (UND lost 34-9 with Carson) and was the 5th team in from Valley because that quality loss was better then UND home lose to Idaho State or UND’s FBS win against Wyoming. 

2 hours ago, UND Football Fan said:

True however Western Illinois loses to NDSU 59-7 w/out Carson (UND lost 34-9 with Carson) and was the 5th team in from Valley because that quality loss was better then UND home lose to Idaho State or UND’s FBS win against Wyoming. 

I say it once every year, but that 2015 team could’ve made a run but they gotta screwed. They were steam rolling at the end of the year.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, tnt said:

They don't really look at scores when it comes to loses.  A loss is a loss.  If UNI is a playoff team, that is one of those "good loses";)

7 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

They don't really look at scores when it comes to loses.  A loss is a loss.  If UNI is a playoff team, that is one of those "good loses";)

By the UND football metrics system, UND so far has 3 “good loses”. Therefore, we’re right on track! :D

BubbaBall

Decade by Decade

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I say it once every year, but that 2015 team could’ve made a run but they gotta screwed. They were steam rolling at the end of the year.

I agree. Would’ve been fun to see what they could’ve done in the postseason. The blowout win @ Cal Poly (final game of the season) they were firing on all cylinders. 

Another reason UND should beat USD: Western Illinois and Bob Nielson (USD current head coach) took UND’s playoff spot that season, and it was not justified in the slightest. 

To date, per Massey, here are teams' "best win" and "worst loss" (FBS games not considered): 

Team Best W Worst L 

NDSU    18    12
USD    4    1    <- beat NDSU; lost to SDSU
UNI    12    20
SIU    10    13
YSU    8    6
UND    4    7  <- beat NDSU; lost to UNI 
ISUr    36    51
MoiSt    68    25

Might seem premature, but a week from now, we'll have a good idea who will be walking for Senior day and who will be potentially using their Covid bonus year. The first of many dominos that really impact the following years team. I always look at it as balance of classes are important and you cannot leverage a future class / development by bringing everyone back. Turnover is good / healthy, but you can't have too much. It really is delicate. My hope is that for every bonus Senior that returns, you have a current RS Junior who is more of a depth guy that moves on (hopefully with a degree). Senior for a Senior. 

Here's who I'm hoping comes back.

• Beach
  • Belquist
  • Fort*
  • Hembry
  • McNaboe
  • Navratil
  • Schuster*
  • Vaughn

I believe Fort could get a medical RS for last year and return if he'd like. Schuster is going to be a really tough decision for the Coaching staff. The question being, who gives you the best chance to win next year (Schuster / Feeney)? I don't think Feeney returns if Schuster comes back. You also have to ask yourself is Kaminski ready to take over as a sophomore. 

On 11/27/2022 at 8:39 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

I think things will be much the same as far as coaching and personnel.  Here is a very early prediction on the 2023 season...

Drake - easy W

Northern Arizona - W

@Boise State - L

@South Dakota State - L

Western Illinois - W

North Dakota State - L

@Northern Iowa - L

Indiana State - W

@Murray State - Toss up - bad team but we are on road in a new venue

@South Dakota - Toss up - avg team but on the road

Illinois State - Toss up - good team but at home

There you have it.  somewhere between 4-7 and 7-4.  

Predictable? 

6-5 or 7-4? 

Is next Saturday the first playoff game vs ISU?  A true play-in game?