SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

So … uhh … is this write up from a bison fan / NDSU grad even worth reading or …??? 

Just asking for a friend …

Thought it was fair.  They broke down offense and defense and listed the schedule.  Didn't make any predicitions or game by game breakdowns. 

I'll let you be the judge if you decide to read it. 

• Upvote 1

The team did very well last year, but they will need to take another step forward. There is very little room for error. They play South Dakota State, NDSU and Boise St. If those 3 are losses, playoffs chances are going to be very slim. I see UND 3-3 to start the season. I really hope I am wrong, but it is very possible. There is a tough schedule this year. Making the playoffs would say alot about this year's team. 

1 hour ago, 108498 said:

The team did very well last year, but they will need to take another step forward. There is very little room for error. They play South Dakota State, NDSU and Boise St. If those 3 are losses, playoffs chances are going to be very slim. I see UND 3-3 to start the season. I really hope I am wrong, but it is very possible. There is a tough schedule this year. Making the playoffs would say alot about this year's team. 

7-4 would still get us into the playoffs.   It would be nice to beat either NDSU or SDSU and I feel this year should be our chance.

1 hour ago, 108498 said:

Going 3-3 to start the season and simply making the playoffs would be a repeat of the last several years. Same ol, same ol. Would be nice to see the program and this team actually take the next step, but perfectly reasonable to expect they won’t given the stale current structure and expectations for UND football. We will see how it goes …. but 3-3 to start is reasonable, unfortunately. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 108498 said:

and after that the schedule gets easier outside of a tricky game at UNI and USD, but both of those are winnable!

8-3, 6-2

let's roll

1 hour ago, 108498 said:

Last year the safety position struggled. Alot of long balls were thrown. Has the team strengthened that with transfers? You can't just assume the same players will be more success. 

Hopefully a healthy Sam Fort can help. I’ve this many times on here, but I’m still worried about OLB and Safety. Hopefully there has been lots of improvement from the guys we have.

The schedule for the 2023 football season has been updated at fightinghawks.com to include television coverage for each game. ESPN+ is not listed as covering any of the games. Only the Boise State and N. Iowa games are shown as being covered nationally on FS1 and ESPN3, respectively. The first weeks full schedule is out on the ESPN website, and very few FCS games are indicated to be broadcast on ESPN+. Does anyone have any insight as to whether ESPN+ is pulling away from comprehensively covering the FCS, or is this simply a situation where broadcast scheduling has not been completed? The current TV schedule as it stands is potentially bad news for those of us out of the Midco footprint.

53 minutes ago, TBR said:

The schedule for the 2023 football season has been updated at fightinghawks.com to include television coverage for each game. ESPN+ is not listed as covering any of the games. Only the Boise State and N. Iowa games are shown as being covered nationally on FS1 and ESPN3, respectively. The first weeks full schedule is out on the ESPN website, and very few FCS games are indicated to be broadcast on ESPN+. Does anyone have any insight as to whether ESPN+ is pulling away from comprehensively covering the FCS, or is this simply a situation where broadcast scheduling has not been completed? The current TV schedule as it stands is potentially bad news for those of us out of the Midco footprint.

Its early enough that I would assume this is a timing issue and the schedule just hasn't been completed yet. Pretty sure MVFC has a contract in place with ESPN+ and we would have heard something if the games weren't going to be broadcast.

1 hour ago, TBR said:

9 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Its early enough that I would assume this is a timing issue and the schedule just hasn't been completed yet. Pretty sure MVFC has a contract in place with ESPN+ and we would have heard something if the games weren't going to be broadcast.

Even if games aren't on ESPN+, all Midco games will be on Midco Sports Plus, which is cheaper.  And they support UND Athletics more so then ESPN ever has.  https://midcosports.com/streaming/

28 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Even if games aren't on ESPN+, all Midco games will be on Midco Sports Plus, which is cheaper.  And they support UND Athletics more so then ESPN ever has.  https://midcosports.com/streaming/

I love the Midco coverage, and they do a great job.  Maybe someday, midco can get the rights to all UND sports and stream on their platform.  It was be so nice.

40 minutes ago, FSSD said:

I love the Midco coverage, and they do a great job.  Maybe someday, midco can get the rights to all UND sports and stream on their platform.  It was be so nice.

15 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

What sports don’t they have rights too?

Would be nice, but I'm pretty sure UND is making over 500K from NCHC.TV.  Midco has the TV & Streaming rights to everything but streaming for hockey. 

That number comes from page 26, here: https://campus.und.edu/operations/_files/docs/fy22-ncaa-report.pdf

The 280K number, under Not Allocated by Gender, is what Midco paid UND for TV & non-hockey Streaming rights, but with the new contract it has since increased to 500K per year, plus an annual donation of 125K to the Champions Club, plus additional sponsorship spending and equipment investments (such as the set and cameras for the hockey pre game show, and fiber being run out to the soccer field).

The NCHC has the exclusive streaming rights for hockey games.  80 or 85% of the streaming revenue for hockey goes back to the schools, based on fan affiliation selected by the subscribers.

On 7/9/2023 at 8:28 AM, 108498 said:

I think we can steal one between Boise, NDSU, and SDSU

• Upvote 2