SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2022

UNDBIZ

20 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Being able to point to a guy like Hoosman coming in and completely flipping his professional prospects has to help.

Maybe they could look to see if there is Safety on the roster that entered the portal also. Would maybe help land him if a fellow teammate and/or friend came also.

On 5/1/2023 at 7:52 PM, sioux24/7 said:

On 5/2/2023 at 9:30 AM, GoHawks said:

This would be a huge get! 

Would it? Sure the guy is coming from Wisconsin, but when I tried to pull up the depth chart I didn't see him on it. I get it is Wisconsin and he is probably sitting behind some decent players but still. Looking at his career stats, I don't see anything that jumps out at me here. FBS dropdowns can be hit or miss like any other transfer. Obviously it would be great if he committed and it worked out and maybe it will, but there is nothing that makes me think this would be a guy to fill Hoosman's shoes. The Northern Michigan kid seemed to have proven more, and that would have been a bit more exciting to me. 

But who know, sometimes it is just the right kid, in the right place with the right offense.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Would it? Sure the guy is coming from Wisconsin, but when I tried to pull up the depth chart I didn't see him on it. I get it is Wisconsin and he is probably sitting behind some decent players but still. Looking at his career stats, I don't see anything that jumps out at me here. FBS dropdowns can be hit or miss like any other transfer. Obviously it would be great if he committed and it worked out and maybe it will, but there is nothing that makes me think this would be a guy to fill Hoosman's shoes. The Northern Michigan kid seemed to have proven more, and that would have been a bit more exciting to me. 

But who know, sometimes it is just the right kid, in the right place with the right offense.

I have trust in Danny. If he likes this kid and thinks he can step in then I’m all for it.

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Did you watch his highlights video?  Can't put too much stock in highlights, but the fact he was playing meaningful downs in B1G games tells me he probably has potential for us.

• Upvote 1

One thing I’ve noticed when it comes to transfers or recruits UND has gotten in any sport the last couple years is how surprised they are about how nice campus and downtown Grand Forks are. So many brand new buildings in town over the last five years will help recruiting across the board in the next few years. Not to mention you can get across almost the entire campus via walkway or will soon be able to. Next goal should be an NIL collective… 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Looking at his career stats, I don't see anything that jumps out at me here. FBS dropdowns can be hit or miss like any other transfer. Obviously it would be great if he committed and it worked out and maybe it will, but there is nothing that makes me think this would be a guy to fill Hoosman's shoes.

Interesting opinion. I don’t agree at all. 

I hope UND gets his commitment. 

2 hours ago, forksandspoons said:

One thing I’ve noticed when it comes to transfers or recruits UND has gotten in any sport the last couple years is how surprised they are about how nice campus and downtown Grand Forks are. So many brand new buildings in town over the last five years will help recruiting across the board in the next few years. Not to mention you can get across almost the entire campus via walkway or will soon be able to. Next goal should be an NIL collective… 

spot on 

23 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

So you're telling me you knew right away Hoosman was going to be that good when he came to UND? Wasn't he like third on the depth chart at UNI? I get there's not much on him but he did play for a Wisconsin. Anyone on an FBS roster is worth taking a look at and like everyone said we can trust Danny. If there were better options Danny would have went that direction. If this guy doesn't work out they will just have to look for another option but if he can do even a little of what Hoosman did I think he will be an asset ot the team.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

So you're telling me you knew right away Hoosman was going to be that good when he came to UND? Wasn't he like third on the depth chart at UNI? I get there's not much on him but he did play for a Wisconsin. Anyone on an FBS roster is worth taking a look at and like everyone said we can trust Danny. If there were better options Danny would have went that direction. If this guy doesn't work out they will just have to look for another option but if he can do even a little of what Hoosman did I think he will be an asset ot the team.

Hoosman was 6-7th on their depth chart.  They didn't want him anymore.  

I see Montana State just offered Julius.  He must not be too bad

2 hours ago, GoHawks said:

Not at all! Unless they have been a proven commodity somewhere else, I think transfers in general are a crap shoot. Not saying I don't want to bring some in when needed. They clearly fill a need. Sometimes its depth, sometimes you are rolling the dice and taking a chance. Sometimes you hit a home run.

I'm just not ready to say that a transfer that a RB who ran the ball 13 times in 3 games for 90 yards last year would be a monster get. Now if the coaches feel he fits the style and is our best available option, then by all means, lets get him on campus and I hope he dominates. I would never call a kid a bust before he gets a chance to prove it, but I'm also not going to assume that a transfer will step in and dominate until we see it happen. 

Heading into last season I was assuming that after losing Otis that Isaiah Smith was going to be the lead guy, well Hoosman stepped in an did a hell of a job, I don't think anyone was expecting that.

As for anyone on an FBS roster, I think history has shown there are plenty of FBS dropdowns that never make an impact at the FCS level. There is a reason many of them are dropping down. Not saying this is a rule, but if I've learned anything over the years of following the program it is to temper expectations with the FBS dropdowns and transfers in general. You may get lucky with a guy like Braden Hanson or Alex Tillman, even McNaboe, but they don't all turn out that way. Oscar Nevermann never turned into a major impact play. James Johannessen wasn't bad but certainly didn't live up to the hype. Can't recall the guys name, but there was a defensive lineman (I think) who transferred from the Gophers who never did much either.

Like I said, I'm not opposed to it as long as it isn't the Petrino approach. I'd just prefer to temper expectations until they get into practice and show how they work with the team and the system. I'd be absolutely pumped if Julius Davis happend to commit and then came in like Hoosman did; who wouldn't !?!?

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not at all! Unless they have been a proven commodity somewhere else, I think transfers in general are a crap shoot. Not saying I don't want to bring some in when needed. They clearly fill a need. Sometimes its depth, sometimes you are rolling the dice and taking a chance. Sometimes you hit a home run.

I'm just not ready to say that a transfer that a RB who ran the ball 13 times in 3 games for 90 yards last year would be a monster get. Now if the coaches feel he fits the style and is our best available option, then by all means, lets get him on campus and I hope he dominates. I would never call a kid a bust before he gets a chance to prove it, but I'm also not going to assume that a transfer will step in and dominate until we see it happen. 

Heading into last season I was assuming that after losing Otis that Isaiah Smith was going to be the lead guy, well Hoosman stepped in an did a hell of a job, I don't think anyone was expecting that.

As for anyone on an FBS roster, I think history has shown there are plenty of FBS dropdowns that never make an impact at the FCS level. There is a reason many of them are dropping down. Not saying this is a rule, but if I've learned anything over the years of following the program it is to temper expectations with the FBS dropdowns and transfers in general. You may get lucky with a guy like Braden Hanson or Alex Tillman, even McNaboe, but they don't all turn out that way. Oscar Nevermann never turned into a major impact play. James Johannessen wasn't bad but certainly didn't live up to the hype. Can't recall the guys name, but there was a defensive lineman (I think) who transferred from the Gophers who never did much either.

Like I said, I'm not opposed to it as long as it isn't the Petrino approach. I'd just prefer to temper expectations until they get into practice and show how they work with the team and the system. I'd be absolutely pumped if Julius Davis happend to commit and then came in like Hoosman did; who wouldn't !?!?

Hinajosa?

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

James Johannessen wasn't bad but certainly didn't live up to the hype. *

* we had an incompetent offensive coordinator who had 3 ridiculously talented weapons on offense and he had only 1 on the field at a time for 85-90% of the time.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, petey23 said:

* we had an incompetent offensive coordinator who had 3 ridiculously talented weapons on offense and he had only 1 on the field at a time for 85-90% of the time.

Absolutely, Rudy didn't help him out at all. JJ just never showed the flash that someone like Oliveira did, and I'll only compare those two because they were the heavier bruiser type backs. Oliveira seemed to have more speed and could drive forward with contact. I always felt like JJ was to vertical when he ran and couldn't get any leverage on guys. A guy that size you be pretty automatic in 3rd or 4th and 1 situation and just wasn't overly impressed. But to your point, he (along with the majority of that offense) was never utilized well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Absolutely, Rudy didn't help him out at all. JJ just never showed the flash that someone like Oliveira did, and I'll only compare those two because they were the heavier bruiser type backs. Oliveira seemed to have more speed and could drive forward with contact. I always felt like JJ was to vertical when he ran and couldn't get any leverage on guys. A guy that size you be pretty automatic in 3rd or 4th and 1 situation and just wasn't overly impressed. But to your point, he (along with the majority of that offense) was never utilized well.

I agree with you.  However if my memory serves me right, which it doesn't always, I'd say Brady definitely had more power.....but JJ had better speed...at least top end speed.  I remember game where JJ had a huge hole off the left side.....and took it around 75 yards to the house untouched....and nobody caught him once he broke through that hole.  If that was Brady.....I think a DB would have probably caught him.  Brady was really want to watch though, and if I had to take him or JJ I would take Brady.