SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2022

UNDBIZ

43 minutes ago, AJS said:

I will say that while I will temper expectations for this kid (though I'm absolutely hopeful) I do like that he has two years of eligibility left. If he were to end up being a key piece in the offense that would be great to get him for two years. I don't think anyone can underestimate how huge it would have been to have Hoosman back for one more year.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, UNDTIM20 said:

I’m afraid if we don’t give Ziebarth a shot he might not wanna stick around! Ran a 10.8 In high school and has bulked up since he’s been here. I think last year he was around 215. 

Agreed.  But I'm pretty sure that the general thinking is that even if he were to get over 100 carries, we just need the depth regardless.  Realistically, there's really only Isaiah Smith and Ziebarth.  Red Wlison and Skokna may get thrown in there, but they aren't really every down backs.  I don't recall if we are bringing in a high school RB, but playing a true freshman isn't really ideal if it's done out of necessity.

17 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Need to earn their shots.  Every kid who is good enough and has earned it has played.  Yet to see a kid sitting on the sideline for a 7-4 program that was actually lights out but never given a chance.  

I think he has, at least when given the opportunity in real games.  I also think he will get a decent number of carries even if we do bring in a really good RB.  I don't think you were implying that he hasn't earned his shot; you're just saying in general, right?

49 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Agreed.  But I'm pretty sure that the general thinking is that even if he were to get over 100 carries, we just need the depth regardless.  Realistically, there's really only Isaiah Smith and Ziebarth.  Red Wlison and Skokna may get thrown in there, but they aren't really every down backs.  I don't recall if we are bringing in a high school RB, but playing a true freshman isn't really ideal if it's done out of necessity.

We’re bringing in 2 good looking backs. They’re not power backs by any means though, and that’s what we lack right now. Hoping Zeibarth can be that guy but it’s always better to have 2.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDTIM20 said:

I’m afraid if we don’t give Ziebarth a shot he might not wanna stick around! Ran a 10.8 In high school and has bulked up since he’s been here. I think last year he was around 215. 

If he can contribute, he'll get his shot. He'll only be a RsSoph this year. There will be plenty of carries/catches to go around and RB is a spot where depth is huge. Especially with guys like Red and Skokna that may be on the field but not in the backfield.

I think GZ has looked good in the game and practice action I've seen. He's getting close to the size of Hoosman, him and Smith will get their shots.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I think he has, at least when given the opportunity in real games.  I also think he will get a decent number of carries even if we do bring in a really good RB.  I don't think you were implying that he hasn't earned his shot; you're just saying in general, right?

All I am saying is the guys that play, play for a reason.  The guys that don't, don't play for a reason.  I have yet to see a situation where fans wondered why a kid isn't playing and there wasn't a very good reason why. Whether it's they aren't as good as guys in front of them, work ethic in practice, attitude, or whatever

Bringing in another RB is not a knock on Ziebarth or anybody else.  They need more depth

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

All I am saying is the guys that play, play for a reason.  The guys that don't, don't play for a reason.  I have yet to see a situation where fans wondered why a kid isn't playing and there wasn't a very good reason why. Whether it's they aren't as good as guys in front of them, work ethic in practice, attitude, or whatever

Bringing in another RB is not a knock on Ziebarth or anybody else.  They need more depth

This was the case with a young Dan Hendrickson. Just one example off the top of my head but it’s doesn’t not happen.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

This was the case with a young Dan Hendrickson. Just one example off the top of my head but it’s doesn’t not happen.

I could be mistaken but didn’t it take forever for Will Ratelle to really get his opportunity too?

1 minute ago, sioux24/7 said:

I could be mistaken but didn’t it take forever for Will Ratelle to really get his opportunity too?

Yea he only started 2 years. Sometimes coaches get used to their depth chart and a guy that would have popped earlier just waits on special teams. He did have a foot injury one year though.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

So the staff purposely didn't play him?  No issues whatsoever.  Just didn't play.  

4 hours ago, UND1983 said:

So the staff purposely didn't play him?  No issues whatsoever.  Just didn't play.  

Did he have some off field issues?

8 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Z would have played more last year if we hadn’t stayed healthy the majority of the year. That won’t happen to the backfield every year so we need to have depth ready. Z can be the guy but we still need others ready to go.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, UNDTIM20 said:

I think we will see plenty of Ziebarth this year. We need depth and to keep our backs fresh. 

Ziebarth is unproven, could go either way. Don’t understand this concept on here that he’s gonna be a star.

It would be nice if he’s an all conference type player, and I hope it works out that way, but it’s just a pipe dream at this juncture. 

In the meantime, I completely agree with Danny’s thinking that we need to add another big, strong RB - presumably an FBS transfer. 

• Upvote 1